Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Network In Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Is there any word if £ in Ireland will launch a prepay service?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

JBoyle4eva wrote:
    Is there any word if £ in Ireland will launch a prepay service?
    dont press shift when pressing 3 (unless you ment to for some reason)
    anyway hope they launch prepay soon because i really want to change to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭ferryman

TCamen wrote:
    Four new handsets on 3 for Christmas [UK]

So what're the chances that 3 will introduce these new handsets for their Irish customers before Christmas? I know a few people that would definitely move network if the N70 or V3X were on offer.

I just wonder if 3 will be like Vodafone/O2 over here and be slower than the UK for getting handsets on their networks.

Hopefully not. They were pretty quick getting the Sony Ericsson 608I weren't they? They could definitely do with freshening up their offering a little, I'm one of those who'd jump ship if the N70 came along...

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Am thinking of joining 3 and getting the K608i. A few questions before I make up my mind:

1. Is this a good phone?
    2. Is 3 better then Vodafone? (i.e. are they good to deal with)
    3. What insurance options are available?
    4. Is there a sports section in their internet service? e.g. Can you check the latest Premiership scores/news stories etc. It's really the only thing I use WAP for.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

608i is a good phone but no memory card slot. Big drawback for a lot of people. Cam shots would fill up the 32meg internal pretty fast...

Std insurance options available via 3... €10 a month for CPW insurance if interested and purcahse from there.

All sports. All scores. All free. Video clips ...the lot..

Dunno bout vodafone v's 3 for customer service. In my opinion all the networks need to cop themselves on and treat customers wit some respect.
    The monpoly network days are fading fast and we have more network / pricing choices.

A new network like 3 should be working twice as hard as they are a new company here with a dodgy history in the UK rolling out a 3G service that was nowhere near ready at the time.
    3's people seem nice to deal with and got back to me quickly when I had problems at the beginning..

The problem is that handsets are a lot more advanced but all they know in the shops are how to sell phones.. Ask them a tech q and they are stumped.. Call the tech line and you are on hold...this needs to improve..better staff training, faster/ better customer phone service across the board.

I would recommend the Nokia 6680 on 3 network. Its currently their best phone. And its symbian so there is loads of software for it.

PS for someone enquiring about voicemail charges...I found a great prog called Smart Answer (SAnswer) that uses the phone itself (any symbian eg: 6680) as the answering machine bypassing the voicemail of 3. No more voicemail charges! :-)
    Google it. Its worth a look.

Hope this helps.
    Q.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

1. you can pay your bill by cash but they charge 4.50 a month extra

2. voicemail is 15c and not included in your minutes. unless its like the itemised bill thing where theyre supposed to charge but they dont

3. your not charged for anything that doesnt have a price on it
    Can you pay your bill by CC as opposed to Bank Account DD? Can you set it up this way when ordering online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Can you pay your bill by CC as opposed to Bank Account DD? Can you set it up this way when ordering online?

I think they just want your CC when you order online to pay for the handset, and they ask for bank details for the DD. On the back of the itemised bills they send out it has:- Ways to Pay:

1. Direct Debit - the simplest way to pay your bill and 3's preferred method of payment. Call us with your bank details and we will set up your DD for you.

2. By Phone - Call 3 Customer Service on 333 free from your handset and pay by credit or debit card.

3. Online/Phone Banking - set up a bill payment with your bank using the following details.... *bill includes Sort Code etc for 3*

4. In Person - take the Bank Giro slip to your bank and pay by cash/cheque.

5. By Post - please fill in and detach the slip @ the bottom of your bill and send it to 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

1. Is this a good phone?
    its a good phone except for the lack of memory card. has most of the important specs of the 6680 but no symbian. has a radio.
    2. Is 3 better then Vodafone?
    i've never been treated better by any company. they're a pleasure to deal with. i love the scottish accent :)
    3. What insurance options are available?
    never mind that 10 a month mentioned above. if you lose your phone or break it or cover it in absinth like i did you get a new one for €50. the only catch is you have to go into a new 12 month contract. you only have to go into the new contract if you've had the phone for more than 3 months. there's no extra charge per month for this.
    4. Is there a sports section in their internet service? yes, gaa, soccer, hurling, horse racing, golf, rugby union/league, formula one, tennis, cricket and a few others. . never mind checking the scores, watch the highlights nearly live for free

quintron wrote:

The problem is that handsets are a lot more advanced but all they know in the shops are how to sell phones.. Ask them a tech q and they are stumped

you've obviously never come into my shop :)

Bond-007 wrote:

no. on the form in the shop there's only an option for acc num and sort code. i phoned 3 about it and they said there's no option for cc yet

• Advertisement

2. voicemail is 15c and not included in your minutes. unless its like the itemised bill thing where theyre supposed to charge but they dont

i was wrong about this. voicemail is 15c outside the minutes but it's included

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

you've obviously never come into my shop :)

Apologies. I did not mean to make a sweeping statement or a too much of a generalization. I would love to go to your shop if I knew where it was and knew that the reps would be of real assistance with technical issues.

A lot of people buy phones and do not use many of its features except basic calling and texting and hence never come into a shop with problems.

Others try to use the full potential of the handsets and network and it is here (at least consistanty in the past in my experience) that the companys have failed to deliver.

I have walked into o2 and vodafone shops many times with queries and problems with handsets over the past 4+ years to be met with vacent stares and swiftly given the helpline number which 8 times out of 10 has been little help. Features not implemented as advertised. Features not consistent etc.

Its hopefully changing as the latest handsets are more advanced and consequently more training is necessary to show off their added features.
    I don't mean to sound hard or cynical of these people that are just doing their jobs but I'm speaking from experience as a (sometimes) frustrated owner.

So 3 UK have the N70 on their site -- no sign of it on the Irish one :(

Anyway, I'm already signed up for the 12 month contract with the V975. I was just wondering *IF* I decided to get the N70 sim free, obviously the 3 settings won't be on it. Is it a case that 3 will frown upon me getting the sim free phone and then asking for the settings to get it set up for 3 services?

Anytime I changed my phone on O2 I never really had to let them know, since you can receive the MMS/GPRS settings from their site.

In 3's case, since they tinker with the handsets before selling them, to put the triangle button on them etc, is it a breach of contract for me to get a new phone elsewhere?

Also, if they get new phones before Christmas, can I buy one from them, even though I won't be eligible for an upgrade? Like, can I buy a new 3 handset from their website for the same price as a new customer as long as I don't want a discount? Or do they expect you to keep the same handset you get at the start of your contract until such time as you can upgrade to a different one?

Again, I never legitimately upgraded with O2, so I haven't been bothered about what the network allows. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

When I was signing up with 3 in the CPW last week the sales guy said if I put the 3 sim card in a different phone that they might/will disable it (forget which). Also, that if my bill exceeds €280 for the first three months they may cancel my account.

I can sort of see the sense in the second one, they don't want people getting cheap phones, running up huge bills and then defaulting on paying them. Especially in their, loss making first couple of years.

The first condition though I thought odd. Maybe their accounting system can only reliably bill people for usage on phones with 3's own firmware/software on them. Or it could be something entirely less interesting that I haven't thought of.

When I was signing up with 3 in the CPW last week the sales guy said if I put the 3 sim card in a different phone that they might/will disable it

I think that's just if you put a 3G sim into a 2G phone, but I could be wrong.

milltown wrote:
    Also, that if my bill exceeds €280 for the first three months they may cancel my account.

I thought they would love you for spending silly money with them. If you pay it what's the problem?

Bond-007 wrote:
    I thought they would love you for spending silly money with them. If you pay it what's the problem?

the problem is for the first few months they don't know if you're going to pay it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I know that over in England, the phones 3 have are a lot different than the standard Voda/O2/Orange phones. They can't be unlocked by standard means, and you can only use a sim card in the phone that it was intended for.

What's the 3 coverage like at the moment? I'm hearing 40 to 60%

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭mugenextreme

hey folks just wondering is it best to go to a shop to connect to this network or is online just as good.

on line is fine
    You get your phone, the next working day by courier(make sure you include your existing mobile number so as not to miss the courier)

The sim is in the box put it in the phone and plug into charge.
    The sim will work straight away.

• Advertisement

Earthman wrote:
    on line is fine
    You get your phone, the next working day by courier(make sure you include your existing mobile number so as not to miss the courier)

The sim is in the box put it in the phone and plug into charge.
    The sim will work straight away.
    Did you have any trouble porting over your old number with 3?

Bond-007 wrote:

they have lost the faxes of the "keep a hold of it" forms a few times but they seem to have solved that problem now

Bond-007 wrote:
    After they received the form and copy of old bill.

For me it took less than 2 hours.
    Likewise with my brother.

Earthman wrote:
    After they received the form and copy of old bill.

For me it took less than 2 hours.
    Likewise with my brother.
    I don't have an old bill as I am RTG. Wonder how they work that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Old Bill is just for Bill customers and it is also proof of addy so you would just need your bank account no. and sort code. When I connected, I did so as a new customer and just gave a copy of my bank statment and driving licence and I was up and running within an hour even though CPW told me it could take a day for the phone to become active for making/receiving calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 SaltySeaDog

Talking about which sim will work were, I have an unlocked 3 phone,basically if you have a sim card from 3, these will only work in a 3 phone,

You can take an existing 2/2.5G SIM and put it in a 3 phone and this will work.

The 3 phone has to be able to read all frequencies, not just the "UMTS" spectrum, for roaming purposes etc.

I have used a voda sim in a 3 phone and i can get 2.5G to work, but my voda sim wont work in 3 phone.

I've never heard of them barring a phone from swapping SIMs, i'd guess it's a scare tactic on behalf of customer service to stop people "making" up their own phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

TCamen wrote:
    I think that's just if you put a 3G sim into a 2G phone, but I could be wrong.

I used my 3 3G Sim in a 2G phone and it doesnt make any difference!!!!!! Its still working fine........

Talking about which sim will work were, I have an unlocked 3 phone,basically if you have a sim card from 3, these will only work in a 3 phone,

You can take an existing 2/2.5G SIM and put it in a 3 phone and this will work.

The 3 phone has to be able to read all frequencies, not just the "UMTS" spectrum, for roaming purposes etc.

I have used a voda sim in a 3 phone and i can get 2.5G to work, but my voda sim wont work in 3 phone.

I've never heard of them barring a phone from swapping SIMs, i'd guess it's a scare tactic on behalf of customer service to stop people "making" up their own phones.

I have used a Vodafone Sim in a unlocked 3 V975 phone it sends sms and can make/recieve calls but Vodafone live didnt work even though i changed the profiles.

Anyone know when 3's Pay as you go will be launched?????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 SaltySeaDog

must be my phone so, i'm trying to use 3 sim in a nokia 6100, 2.5 yrs old

Advertisement