Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increase in road deaths - RTE tonight at 9:35pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Red light cameras will go towards preventing incidents like this from occurring in the first place when drivers realise they can be caught for breaking a red light…

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/luas-crash-causes-travel-disruption-in-dublin/a1595917048.html

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You forgot to suggest that bicycles need reg plates also 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭drury..

Without looking at the wording of this ,posters are not seriously suggesting Garda will be on the clock everyday for 30min road policing

That will obviously be just an average overall for a station or whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭drury..

Probably not but it's horsesh1t thinking every cop will be on 30min RP daily

The system doesn't work like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭bigroad

Did they get that calculation over an hour ,a day a week ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,051 ✭✭✭mikeecho

What happens is, each car will be detailed to park up at the side of the road and drink coffee be visible to passing traffic for 30 min.

It's just optics

Calls will have to wait while this important task is completed, the Garda will also have to return to their station, and phone in to the call centre (and be on hold for 10 min) to have the 30 min park up, recorded on pulse.

All the while, calls build up.

But hey.. it's an Irish solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,607 ✭✭✭creedp

Its a natural progression for a Govt/political system obsessed with likes on Tik Tok and Instagram. It's all just a popularity contest these days, everything else can be collateral damage

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

As much I think the green party are a bunch of useless ................…'s

AI cameras installed next year too! Who knew FG could do so much so quickly in the run up to an election!!!

Cant sort GDPR issues but can implement AI?

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/traffic-cameras-will-be-soon-used-to-catch-and-fine-drivers-using-mobile-phones-at-the-wheel-or-on-their-lap/a1994034203.html#:~:text=Traffic%20cameras%20will%20soon%20spot,Safety%20Authority%2024%20hours%20before.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I agree. On a purely practical issue, they'd be spending more than half of the 30 minutes travelling to and from their location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Lot of accidents on secondary roads in rural ireland where garda stations were closed or downgraded so there has been a gradual increase in not adhering to the law knowing theres no guards to catch you.

Local Fire Brigade cite Phones & Drugs as the two most common factors along with zero garda presence

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

On Jan 13th 2023, the head of Eirgrid ('retired' Monday) was found to driving 'under intoxication' and charged.

Today, the IT are reporting the case as it came up for mention. The case was known to very few even though it concerns an incident 16 months ago. The court decided to put the case back to Oct 22nd 2024, nearly 2 years after the incident.

I presume he still has a full licence and is driving around.

Surely, he should have been banned on Jan 14th 2023 until his case was dealt by the appropriate court. Otherwise, what is the point of all the safety talk if a person found to be so intoxicated as to incapable of controlling the vehicle he was driving is allowed to carry-on like it never happened?

It all stinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Absolutely ridiculous 'solution'. It would be comical if there weren't a constant stream of deaths involved.

Bang of let's do everything but spend money on this.

Yes , but the local superintendent/ chief super/ AC , needs to prove that they can do or the provide the same or better level of service at the same or less cost to the stakeholders, than their predicessor , in order to prove how good they are, and that they deserve a promotion.

It's all about the stakeholders, and not spending money.

Optics.. it's all about the optics.

Allegedly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Here is what I would do...

For each station, and officer on duty, I would aggregate all the 30mins together and place X no. of Gardaí on Roads Duty for the total no. of all those 30min.

So if 20 (random number) Garda on duty, that's 10hrs of RP for one officer.

That cuts out all the silly wasted time of multiple officers logging 30min RP on Pulse /other IT system. Everyone knows where they should be for the totality of their shift. The knee jerk comment of the Commissioner (30min per Garda/shift is also achieved, but in a more effective/efficient manner.

Oh, and implement one officer per car for dedicated Road Traffic duty. Two per car is just silly.

That's great.. but where did your think there are 20 Garda on duty in any station at any one time.

You'll be lucky to have 2 cars out in most Irish cities/towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Come on, dont nit pic.

Its just a number, a generalisation ...could be 3, could be 50 depending on the station and shift. In most stations it still going to be better than each officer logging an individual 30min.

The optics as you referred to above would be much better too

Well we got 24 hrs of Operation Knee Jerk today.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,006 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Re: last paragraph.

Lack of guards isn't causing road crashes.

Phones, speeding, bad driving, drink and drugs maybe. But Lack of guards isn't. I hate this Lack of responsibility. It's the drivers causing crashes.

Slow down folks, stop using a phone when you're driving a 1 ton lump of metal at 100km/h. Don't drink and drive.

But the guards are an easy target.

Without guards, people will behave like a bunch of unattended school children in a classroom.

People need to be monitored, stopped, reprimanded and fined for their own good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,006 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Appreciate that, but it's not the Guards crashing. Adults need to have a bit of responsibility.

In all the debates on radio and TV I hear, the roads, the guards are so often the reason for the deaths. They aren't. The elephant in the room is so often ignored for fear of offending.

If I drive today under the influence, or on my phone, or too fast and crash and due, its on me, not the local guards, or the road. It was MY fault.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

That is true, but of no help? Adults do need to show responsibility but many don't, hence the need for guards.

Granted, some of the language in the thread may be 'sloppy' in saying 'it's the lack of gardai causing crashes' etc but I doubt the vast majority of people who use language like that are suggesting that trumps individual responsibility.

But lots of grown ass adults DON'T have a sense of their own responsibility.

Everything is "someone else's" fault, not mine. Oh no, not me, I'm perfect.

Have a few pints on board? Ah shur tis grand. I'll just get that call. Ah shur tis grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Quitelife

When people know theres no guards they use their phone or chance driving after taking cocaine.

If they they were some guards around theyd be far less likely to use their phones or cocaine driving.

Its more a rural Ireland thing where most garda stations were closed down which has led to a breeakdown in law and order in those communities. Your never too far from a garda station in Dublin but in rural counties away from greater Dublin area you might never see a guard .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Garda presence is one required strand of enforcement, but the trouble is that needing them to do everything stretches their resources too thin. Speeding, red light jumping, even phone use can be easily dealt with now via technology. Visible garda presence on our streets and roads should be the final layer on top of a fully automated system.

The problem with implementing any of the above isnt a technical problem, its a political one. For some reason we pay far too much heed to people shouting nonsense about personal freedom and nanny states, when they just want to continue misbehaving. Incidently the ones who shout the loudest about nanny states are the very ones whose bad behavior needs to be caught and who we need to boot off our roads to make them safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭omri

Either ban sale of cars with bigger than 1l engine or max bhp at say 80 or, bump speed limit on motorways to 150 (except M50 as way too busy or maybe peak hours limit to 80) and reduce speed limit on all other roads - since some of these would have 80 or 100 but are built for 60 at best. And make it mandatory for every driver licence test/course to have a week or two of cycling (as that would teach the would be drivers how it feels to be a cyclist amongst the cars). They can show more news about speeding tickets and fines but thats really only a plaster sticking onto an open wound.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

here's the thing about enforcement though - you don't need gardai present to catch every single infringement; you just need enough to create the fear of being caught. because the fear is not there at the moment, and that's the main driver (pun unintended) of peoples' sense of impunity.

at the moment, if i drove blatantly through a junction near me against a red, i would hazard the chances of being caught at less than 0.1%. increase that chance by a factor of five, and next thing you know people are genuinely afraid of getting caught; they'll see plenty more other motorists being stopped at the side of the road, or hearing about friends or relatives being fined (those willing to admit it, admittedly!)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 625 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

I have a car with a 0.6l engine that will happely do 150. I really hate the above Irish way of tackling a problem. Rather than address the source they go with a blanket ban/restriction that stuff's everybody. Issue with some clowns being rowdy in public? Sure lets ban drinking in public. Great thanks! Certain people drink too much, well lets introduce min alcohol pricing to stuff us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭ARX

Did you get the engine out of a GSX-R? 😀

Anyway, restricting engine size isn't going to stop people driving into trees while looking at their phones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Why? What does that achive? Does being hit by a 1L VW Golf hurt less than hit by a 2L Golf GTi?

Advertisement