Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increase in road deaths - RTE tonight at 9:35pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭omri

It sure doesn't. But it makes a diff when u have 400bhp available at your disposal, temptation is real. You keep selling fast cars but expect people to drive slowly. You gotta let people scratch that itch somehow. Many roads with 80-100 limits are not up for those speeds, often used by farming equipment and cyclists, yet you have 120 on motorways that could easily and safely take 150 if not bit faster. Especially those that are not as busy and certainly during off peak hours. Having people do a mandatory cycling would teach them how it feels being passed by a bus or truck or fast moving car and maybe they would take that into consideration while driving. I don't know how much does it cost to police the roads, maybe less than putting avg speed cameras everywhere - which would solve the problem along with fines based on income and taking away licence for repeating offenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

People need to take responsibility for their own behaviour and actions. That applies to all drivers, pedestrians cycles and people with pushchairs.

You could do as much damage to a pedestrian in a 75hp VW Up as you could in a 400bhp+ Tesla.

The knee jerk/ ban this tax the other is disquise for fixing the real issue. Too many distracted drivers too few Gardai out on the streets, too much reckless behaviour (cyclists are wreakless too)

What you want is to have a choice to behave safely when it suits, but when that choice is being removed then that’s not the solution.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it is kinda funny that they felt they had to insist on a hardware-applied speed limit to e-bikes and scooters, to limit them to 25kmh; but are unable to apply similar limits to cars?

you can legally use a car capable of doing twice the motorway speed limit, but not an e-scooter capable of getting to 26km/h.

though i do know about the EU mandated built in speed restriction on cars, but implementation of that seems weirdly vague and hard to find for such an important change in vehicle regulation.

you have no clue as to what I want. Please don’t pretend that you do.

What I do not want is clueless ideas that improve nothing. Not sure what kind of issue you have with my post that you have quoted.

Post edited by Anaki r2d2 on

• Advertisement

😂 you want to be free to do as you please - chill boyo

…or now that I think of it, maybe youre afraid of riding a bicycle… 😉

nope. Nice try. Have a very nice carbon Bianchi and Giant cyclocross in the garage. Have a fully paid up cycle club membership too.

So, better luck next time. I’m off for a spin on my bike. Weather is decent for a change.

Edit: did you actually read my post? ‘Too many distracted drivers too few Gardai out on the streets, too much reckless behaviour (cyclists are wreakless too)“ which bit of this are you disagreeing with boyo?

Thanks. Bell helmet on, led lights charged and switched on. High visibility jersey. Check!

All with the single goal of coming home safe.

See it's not hard for a cyclist to do their bit too!

It's my spelling that gets you annoyed! I will learn to spell reckless when I am out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭combat14

perhaps limit learners and N drivers to 1 litre cars for 5 years after qualification also fix pot holes on roads for a change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭65535

Some drivers are loosing the run of themselves.

Last week when there was a Womens Rugby Ball Game on in Cork - a driver 'undertook' me at the roundabout but then proceeded to drive through a solid red light.

After that the driver then proceeded to undertake another car that was just waiting in traffic.

That driver made a distance leap of 2 cars ahead of me when I caught up to him doing the speed limit - so his/her dangerous driving which could have resulted in 2 serious accidents was due to their hurry to get to a ball game - words just fail me.

As for driving with phones etc. - surely ALL cars now have Bluetooth - no excuses

• Registered Users Posts: 15,781 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I'd say the older sh1tbox saloons and rice rockets beloved of speedsters may not have bluetooth, or I suspect people are too lazy to connect up, judging by the numbers I see phone to ear.

except it’s as likely to be a brand new ionic 5 EV with mum and kids. Mums doing 90 and on tick tok.

look around, phone use is systemic. Sooner AI cameras are installed the better. I’d guess it’s 1 in 5 drivers are staring at their crotch.

most of Irelands problems could be helped by lots lots more Garda. Not just for this topic.

Post edited by Anaki r2d2 on

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Am I not right in thinking that the difficulty in rolling out tech solutions lies with the Dept of Justice rather than AGS?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭drury..

Are they still providing maps for the gosafe van locations

Madness if they are

it’s not one or the other. How about we expect the government to multi task?

Recruit more Garda, they get out and about and implement existing laws. (Far reaching past just lousy driving) Can’t hire enough? Pay them more.

And, at the same time, stick red light jumping cameras everywhere, mobile phone automatic tickets- let’s do that. If your a decent human you should have nothing to hide.

BUT there would be uproar by certain cohorts of society, who’s knickers would be very twisted indeed

here you go. The point of the map is to advertise where the cameras are so you don’t speed. High probability of getting caught.

Green Party are all about generating revenue by taxing people. Hiding cameras up a tree does not improve safety.

Need to Paint the cameras in high vis stickers.

The Green Party voters love that sh1t.

https://www.garda.ie/gosafe.html

It defeats the purpose

Drivers are speeding where there's no cameras

They know the rough location on their commute for exampt

can’t disagree with that. But the idea is that drivers have been told roughly where the vans might be. That map is so wide spread, that it’s nearly everywhere

Nothing stops the Garda doing random checks. Lazy camera vans parked up in the same spot every day. Back to my point, hire more 5-O

Also, a lot of the sh1t driving is being called speeding. Most unsafe driving I see is careless and without due care and attention. Changing lanes without looking around. Erratic behaviour. No indication, Looking at tinder instead of the road.

Speed is one factor but I personally think phones and lack of consideration are worse right now.

Its not in rural locations

There is no camera between many towns for example so drivers can boot it from one town to the other

Few gardai about. I would say this issue is more noticeable in rural areas , not so much in the cities

• Advertisement

Yip, need more cops

But if they don't advertise the speed van locations

Theyre way more of a deterrent without additional cost

yeah but because of the green propaganda, that’s not the focus. This nonsense is:

https://m.independent.ie/business/technology/new-electric-garda-motorbike-has-a-range-of-130km/a1633302733.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭SeanW

One thing we know about the planned speed limit reductions is that they have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with road safety.

Ireland has one of the lowest road fatality statistics by every measure of any country on Earth (per 100,000 inhabitants, per 100,000 cars, per billion vehicle-kilometres), so much so that we can measure fatalities as a low single-digit figure per billion kilometres driven.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

So why the need to take an axe to all the speed limits when the real danger is basically non-existent? It only makes sense when viewed as part of a jihad against motorists.

Reducing speed limits has nothing to do with road safety?

For example ,In the urban areas where they are reducing the limits , that is related to road safety

Pedestrians are less likely to be seriously injured if the car is travelling slower when it hits a pedestrian

Same principle applies to general car crashes

But at the same time they need to be doing the simple stuff like punishing mobile phone users en masse and not advertising location of speed vans

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭dickdasr1234

I have little doubt that phones are a major problem but tech in modern cars is a serious issue as well.

I had a courtesy car last year that scared the crap out of me. It was like having a laptop to hand and necessitated taking my eyes off the road for an uncomfortable and dangerous length of time.

Granted, you could/should set everything up before you move off but the feckin thing simply should not be accessible once moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭SeanW

Given how rare these serious incidents are, as a practical matter yes, the road safety case is thin at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,825 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Currently there isn’t an age limit on the use of escooters, currently you have numerous little clowns using them at dangerously high speeds on pathways in close proximity to people of all ages and physical / health abilities and limitations …. So a physical limit on their speed is appropriate. I witness this weekly one is with a see you next Tuesday living beside me. They are now for this reason proposing an age limit of 16.

A car can go over a motorway speed limit as not all motorways have the same speed limit, they vary from country to country. Plus you cannot or should not limit the speed of a vehicle, in certain circumstances it’s unsafe, ie. if you needed an increase in speed to avert danger on the road. A drunk or impaired driver it may be more prudent to intentionally increase your speed to 140/150 in order to complete an overtake and get out of dodge as opposed to just sitting behind and hoping you can break or manoeuvre out of his carnage should he collide, lose control or do whatever.

Incidentally I’ve driven a company vehicle with a limiter… not purchased for safety, purchased to avail of wholesale cheaper insurance, the management were honest about it….not one single positive to say about that experience… cruising on a busy motorway, losing power, speed, revs…. Not a nice situation and should I have gotten into trouble I had no way to get my ass out of dodge… No way to override it…. The accelerator clicks and recesses into the floor as you lose everything and only when you relax your foot off it and gear down can you get the power back…..No opportunity if anything goes wrong to capture quickly speed that might save you.

I’m not a speeder… I’ve never received a penalty point or even been pulled by the Gardai so what I’m saying is genuinely from someone who values road safety and the lives of each road user….

And I’m still completely anti limiter and completely more enforcement of the road traffic act and appropriate penalties for those in contravention of it. Limiters ? No, not from my adverse experience.

More enforcement and tougher penalties ? YES !

• Advertisement

Reducing speed reduces fatalities therefore improves road safety

That's a fact so I don't see what you're argument is

Advertisement