Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increase in road deaths - RTE tonight at 9:35pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,607 ✭✭✭creedp

A classic whataboutery response. Basically because drivers disobey the Roth, then no driver can call out cyclists breaking the Roth.

You do realise that drivers don't go around saying you can't call us out because cyclist also break the rules

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Given the topic under discussion, it really isn't whataboutery in fairness!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Actually, drivers often do say exactly that. The comment was to put in context the 'scary scooters' variation on the 'scary cyclists' stories that we often see around here. It's amazing how many people are able to spot and notice every detail, including the clothing of scary scooters and scary cyclists, but don't apparently see drivers speeding, on their phones, with faulty lights, not indicating, not observing.

• Advertisement

Ah cmon now threads are full of posters calling out bad driving. You'd want to be suffering from a particularly acute form of tunnel vision not to notice

😁 blasted phone

Edit. Responding to @magicbastarder post. Is there a problem with Boards not quoting posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,403 ✭✭✭Trampas

So I was driving home this evening on a road where I was following a car and a few more cars behind me. Just tipping along at speed limit but first car was N plate and took a little longer to get up to speed. Nothing awful now. Cars coming towards us and next thing I see a flash in the rear mirror and a car over takes the car behind me and slots in right up my backside. Carry on the road and it goes to solid white line. Cars oncoming and the car overtakes me and the car in front of me. I knew they’d do it. They were just short of been on the phone but were not

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

You're both correct.

But I am too. No one is going to anonymise data. Forget about it, you may get that idea out of your head now. If they make a mistake they have to deal with the DPC. It's easier to just not share the data and avoid any legal stuff.

If someone comes along and makes a change that legally compels them to share anonymised data, well that's probably the end of anyone doing that job.

In answer to your question Andrew: "do I care if people have my data." I don't that much. I get cold called all the time, I get crappy emails, I get very personalized ads etc. My "Data" is already out there, as is yours and probably everyone else's. I think it's better if Garda, Dept Social Welfare, County Councils, Insurance Companies, Courts, etc could all query each other databases (within limits) without having to jump through hoops.

Everyone's GDPR policy is so stupidly different it makes regulating data access near impossible… Ask any Garda who's had to get a statement off someone in the civil service, and you'll know what I'm talking about.

I get the idea in principle, but it's having a very undesirable effect: "I don't have to bother my hole sharing anything with anyone cause GDPR"… that's basically the attitude, and so long as GDPR exists it's going to stay that way, in fact if it was removed I don't think the attitude would change, the damage is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

Do you think it's more or less than car drivers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Went for a nice little ride out after work today. I took a stop at a village local to me for about 10 minutes and within those 10 minutes I observed:

1. A man casually parking his car on a (hatched) corner of a junction to a sideroad and leaving it there to pick something up in the pharmacy across the road.
    2. A white van man not only mounting the footpath but driving up along the footpath at wildly inappropriate speed (he passed about 4 private driveways with no visibility at probably 25-30kph )
    3. Multiple cars parked 4 entirely on the footpath.

Anyone trying to argue that the main group causing safety issues on the road is a group other than car drivers is f**** blind and shouldnt be behind a wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,194 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

This Video is doing the rounds Today and the Gardai social media.

The VW Golf must have been stsring into space.

The unmarked Garda car waw fairly obvious to anybody paying a small bit of attention.

Hyundai, D Reg, Areials, Radar, etc all clearly visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭csirl

Excuse the pun, but the CEO of the RSA had an absolute car crash of an interview. Doesnt inspire confidence.

Anyone know what % of drivers involved in fatal accidents have learner permits, no license or are disqualified?

Anedotely a lot of the type of people who in the past drove on provisionals for years/decades are now not bothering with licenses at all. Nobody ever checks licences. Ive never been asked for a license at a Garda checkpoint even though driving 20+ years.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭delboythedub

Make a law where mobile phones must be kept in the car boot while traveling

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

The laws we have are fine. The problem is enforcement. As said above, a Garda cycling through any major town could give out 100 points in an hour to people on their phones while driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm late to this Prime Time here so only watching it now but so far it just seems to be an excuse for RTE to play with their virtual set and sound effects as different charts pop in and out.

The guy from the RSA is useless. Defensive, deflecting and shouty. That's a problem right there. Main achievements apparently to tackle the NCT backlog and driver testing but again very very defensive.

Garda rep equally uninspiring. Again defensive and waffling. Harris announcing that all uniform Gardai will be asked to do road policing duty sounds like a kneejerk half thought out nonsense idea.

And now Jack Chambers.. Pinning all his hopes on his new bill which again is a reactive half-considered notion. Waffling about how they're all applying for things and writing to each other but clearly trapped by an administrative black hole that's going nowhere.

When pressed they all say it'll definitely be fixed this year.. Honest!

This in one 40 minute programme is a self-contained example of the bloated inefficient mess that is Government (local and central) and state agencies responsible for addressing this stuff.

Miriam is awful too. Also what's the point of these segments and interviews if not enough time is given to actually discuss it properly? Was there a rerun of Fair City or a movie everyone has already seen to get to?

Poor programme overall. Nothing new. Nothing surprising.

Post edited by _Kaiser_ on

Those bodies CAN share data with each other, within very clear and specific limits. Usually, there will be specific enabling legislation, otherwise they can share data, provided they have a legal justification for doing so, and they set out the basis for sharing in their privacy policy. Insurance companies are sharing data with Gardai on a daily basis now. GDPR does not stop data being shared, with appropriate policies, legislation and control.

GDPR DOES stop the kind of uncontrolled datasharing that allowed Cambridge Analytica and Facebook to deliver Trump's 2016 election win and the Brexit referendum win to the highest bidder.

I don't get crappy emails, very personalised ads and cold calls, because I'm careful with my personal data. I make multiple reports to the DPC each year where I see breaches of GDPR.

Yes, it gets used as a crappy excuse, just like the 'elf and safety' excuses. That doesn't mean that GDPR is a problem.

This kind of red light jumping is becoming routine and every day. These two examples were within a 30 minute stretch this morning.

Fascinating to see this video emerging, which Gardai have really never done anything like before, and the new '30 minutes roads policing per shift' rule, both in response to the media interest. Which is a really crappy approach, responsive more to media than to the reality of the rising death toll. They've done tweets about drivers using phones before, but never a video, afaik.

The good thing about the Prime Time show what that it exposed both RSA and AGS as fairly feckin useless. Miriam was very good with Sam, specific and precise without being hectoring or aggressive. Both interviews shows that both organisations had really nothing to offer except a little bit more of the same old, same old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

aye and the controls in our peugeot aren't exactly intuitive either… way too fiddly and distracting

Nothing to do with being the subject of a Prime Time special, I'm sure.

had some errands to run this morning and funnily enough on my way to the credit union I saw a garda checkpoint being setup.

took me about 20 mins to get in and out and on my way back around home they were closing down the checkpoint and heading on.

They really were just getting half an hour in as they were ordered to!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Spidermann1

Changing speed limits to 30km/h in built up areas is not the answer! 😡

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Is not the answer to what in your view?
    Having lower urban speed limits (if enforced) will make parents more willing to let kids walk or cycle to school which should help reduce the number of cars out there at those times (and as we all know, with many parked in such a way that they block traffic). It also means that many adults who would like to be more active, will be more confident in doing so.

If you need me to explain why the 30km/h limit is being proposed then you really shouldn't be telling us that they're not the answer!

Anyhow, answer or not, it is coming in and is part of the Road Traffic Bill 2024 which is working its way through the system (I believe it has passed thorugh the Dáil and Seanad and is ready for signing into law by the President).

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Spidermann1

Not the answer to reducing road deaths (the heading of this discussion). Life is being made a missery for car drivers with very limited public transport to use as another option. I agree with having a 30km speed limit during operational hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

A misery? That's awful! How many car drivers have been killed by train drivers or cyclists this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,006 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Question:

If someone was to start to upload their dashcam video footage, showing people on phones or breaking red lights, and make their faces or reg plates visible, would be be challenged for breaking gdpr or breaching privacy?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭Damien360

Yes. You can record anything you like without restriction but you cannot broadcast that without falling foul of law. This same nonsense happens to small business owners that record a thief in store and stick it up on Facebook. The law is on the side of the thief. That's why they often post comments like "I have footage showing....." instead of just publishing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,006 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Assume the UK has different rules then, when the likes of Cycle Mikey or whatever he's called can upload daily videos of folk breaking the law?

Advertisement