Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increase in road deaths - RTE tonight at 9:35pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I find touch screen a right pain and a bit of a harzard. Eyes off the road to make selections and even more eyes off the road if you select the wrong choice.

Seems to getting some pushback thankfully:

https://interestingengineering.com/transportation/dangerous-touch-screen-in-cars

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭drury..

We don't all speed

I just drive to the limits at all times

For me it's a simple method of avoiding speeding points and i'm in no rush anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I experience that regularly when I am driving on the N62 in Westmeath heading towards and coming from Athlone. The section of road has an 80kph speed limit and a continuous white line.Almost every time I drive on it I am overtaken by lunatics breaking the speed limit and of course crossing the continuous white line. I know every time that I am going to be passed when I am being tailgated. This particular section of road used to have a100kph limit and some sections of broken white line but was reduced to 80 and a continuous line which has made no difference to a large number of drivers using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Be great if there was a portal where you could upload dashcam footage to the Gardai and they actually used it to prosecute. UK does it, can't see why we don't.

The amount of footage I have of disastrous, dangerous driving is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

Smells like stasiland in here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm sorry, but everyone has broken the speed limit at some point, that's what I mean. And you have too, no matter what you say.

I don't mean driving dangerously and speed recklessly. As I have matured I have really slowed down as a driver, but I might still do 85 on an 80 road. It happens. Or 53 in a 50.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are you saying you do an indicated 85 in an 80? you're probably just doing ~80 so anyway.

in my car, the speedometer indicates roughly 85 or 86 when the car is doing 80 according to GPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,536 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It's all over twitter, UK and Ireland and more

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, if a month passes with uniform Garda apply 30 mins of active roads policing every shift, and road deaths fall, well that will be brilliant. Of course, every member of the chatterati knew that was bound to happen, and will think how prescient the Garda Commissioner.

If the Gardai get used to it, then those who get caught will learn that enforcement works, penalties are real. Next time ——

• Advertisement

A lot of problems with N roads crossing old minor roads.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The problem is not with roads - the problem is with some of those using them.

There's still a problem with some junctions

Its not entirely road users fault

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Limerick has introduced 30 kmph speed limits in parts of the city. However, because of poor signage it is difficult to know whether one is in a 50 or 30 kmph limit area. It would help if the speed limits were marked on the roads.

And surprise surprise, the spokesman for the Driving Instructors Association says that a minimum of 12 driving lessons isn't enough.

More money for his members.

The narrative strong again in the news this morning, "declining driving standards" being the main one today. Despite the fact that most of those dying are either speeding, driving dangerously, under the influence, committing suicide or on their phone. We are one of the safest nations in Europe for road deaths, but is rarely mentioned.

IId Like to see the %rise in cars on the road versus the %rise in road deaths over the last 10 years, can anyone find that stat?

The councils paint a lot of stripes on the road in small towns for people to cross

I don't see what they're adding to safety often located at T junctions

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭kirving

All things considered, peddling the notion that the difference between your indicated speed and actual speed has any measurable effect on collision risk just leads people to believe that speed is the be all and end all of road safety, and that 79km/h in freezing fog is A-OK but 81km/h deserves a life time ban.

It really is far more complex than that - and the RSA know it too, but there seems to be an major lack of understanding of human behavior in how roads are constructed and policed in Ireland.

Bombarding road users with signs, limits, bollards and ever more complex road markings only works to a point - there needs to be much larger design concept which influences traffic speed and gives priority unconsciously as opposed to trying to enforce things that just don't work, or make people feel good, but have little bearing on collision number.

I think you're responding to an argument I wasn't making. I was not making an attempt to suggest that 80 is safe and 85 not.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,501 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I can't understand the value of getting each member of the Gardaí to spend 30 minutes of their day on roads policing, they will have to switch from the task they are at to get in to road policing mode.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It was a knee jerk reaction to AGS getting hammered over their lack of ability (or maybe it is a lack of will) to police our roads.
    In the past week, have you actually seen anything different in terms of how our roads are policed because I certainly haven't?

Exactly.

The fact that the decision was only made after a few bad weeks and a Prime Time special shows it was just popularism.

Harris was getting it tight and made an easy decision, which I'm sure was sneered at by rank and file Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭creedp

I wonder what would be the normal breakdown of a 8 or 12 hour shift. Obviously pure speculation on my part but it seems to me that the 30 min per shift KPI could easily be achieved by driving around monitoring driver behaviour. However, I suppose whats key is that it will be relatively easy to hit the green light on the traffic light performance measurement system. Great swizz for an aspiring high performance Minister/Taoiseach

Sure what could go wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭kirving

Apologies, I took it up incorrectly.

My point really is that minor infractions of the speed limit have no measurable bearing on road safety, and equating limit to safety takes focus off far more important aspects.

Some people will get hung up on the fact that 36km/h is 20% OVER!!! a 30km/h limit, but will never agree that hazard perception is a far more important factor in keeping roads safe - because you can't enforce your way out of that. It would require a big overhaul of the training and testing system.

They'll spend ten minutes getting TO a location, and ten minutes getting back FROM a location, leaving about ten minutes for actual enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭SC024

Arn't these local authority engineers by definition "local" and in charge of local roads in a certain area, Would it not be part of their jobs to know the Roads / Junctions they are responsible for? Can they not do things the old fashioned way when they cant get the data? Ie. They heard there was a bad accident at such & such a place over weekend, maybe use some common sense & old fashioned initiative & get out of the office & have a look at said location ? Would that be to much to ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭SC024

One to many, I trust these red light cameras that are coming will also apply to cyclists?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Let's get the red light cameras for Motor vehicles and let the Gardai worry about the rest…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

But the Gardai won't do anything about the rest, as we well know.

• Advertisement

The ones we had ten years ago, at the Luas Queen St junction (the ones that had to be switched off because Gardai couldn't keep up with number of offences arising) picked up cyclists, as well as motorists. They found that 12% of red light jumping was done by cyclists, with 88% down to motorists.

Advertisement