Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increase in road deaths - RTE tonight at 9:35pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Yeah… except they don't, and it's a childish threat.

I'm well in favour of red light cameras. It would stop nonsense like this:

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Juran

Poor drivers, ie not aware of surroundings.

Poor drivers going too slow causing drivers behind to take silly risks.

Irish roads - more motorways required, and road upgrade with hardshoulders required.

Regional roads with huge traffic volumes on narrow bendy roads, narrow bridges, etc.

National roads nstead of motorways or dual carragieways. No barriers in the middle to protect the opposide side when a vechicle veres across the road.

And finally, speed without having full.control.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The only people that do are GDPR people and the Legal Eagles out there. The process is so cumbersome and fraught with consequence that it's easier just not to share the data, which they are legally entitled to do. So that's what they do, regardless of what the intention in setting it (GDPR) up was.

Firstly, I'm not a legal eagle but I have read up on GDPR and by-and-large, it is quite straightforwards.
    The core concept is that you do not share personal data. So the excuse from the RSA that you cannot share details of collisions because of GDPR is really quite pathetic bcause they wouold not have been sharing any personal details anyhow. Road engineers don't need the names, address, phone numbers, reg plates or whatever of the people involved in a collision. They need collision locations (not personal data), collision types (not personal data), collision date/times (not personal data) and so on.

But don't believe me. Sure didn't Prime Time get a statement from the DPC's office stating that GDPR would not be an issue is the data provided was anonymised.

But you'd think that the cretins in the RSA would have consulted with the DPC on this before they just used GDPR as a really pathetic excuse!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Glaceon

How does your phone tell whether you're the driver or passenger in a car?

Pokemon Go does this now, it detects if you're moving over a certain speed and disables most of the game functions. But it obviously can't tell whether you're a driver or passenger, so it's just disabled regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

I agree, bad driving like following someone through a red light without paying attention to the lights should be punished. I'm all for punishing bad driving, the point I'm making is that speeding is blamed for the majority of accidents and its undeserved when we see daily the standard of driving (of actually being in control of the car) is shockingly bad. We are now at a point where speed limits are ridiculously low, and going a few k over in safe conditions is completely acceptable to me, and personally I would be very unhappy at some Karen who decides otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,856 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Are you going to administer those "stitches", internet hard man?

Just the sort of childish attitude that a lot of drivers have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

It's phone use that is the number one issue. Everyone who drives knows it. I've given in going out and about in Dublin at certain hours on my motorbike because of it. Modern cars with those huge tablet style screens are a joke also and should be banned in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Automatic ban, car taken and crushed, licence revoked. Phone use would drop off a cliff over night but it won't be done because government don't want to solve the problem or more importantly lose votes as so many voters use their phone whilst driving.

It was said in jest, but if you are willing to fcuk around and find out then go right ahead, only too happy

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 635 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,856 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Driving his E Scooter on the wrong side of the road head on into a car on a unlit road at 11pm

So true, I’ve never seen a goose that needed a reality check, but my cv would be full of people like yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 28,538 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You should be preparing yourself to be very unhappy with Garda Karen and Justice Karen so. They'll be the ones giving you penalty point and fines.

Then you can get really pi$$ed with Insurance Karen for doubling the cost of your policy at renewal.

How many points will it take for the penny to drop that it's your own fault, not the Karens?

vanilla error

No one is caused to take silly risks by a slow driver. Those who take silly risks are responsible for their own actions.

There is no cut off date for GDPR.

It's not vague, but it is, like most regulations, generalised. It doesn't tell every business exactly what to do in every circumstance.

That doesn't mean that you can put anything you like in your policy, as the very large fines issued to Meta and others confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

No I just expect you or I or anyone else to be prepared to stand over your allegations in person if you report someone. That means being able to be identified if a process of prosecution follows. Justice has to be seen to be done properly in public.

No one should be hiding behind the idea that they can just report some other citizen on the QT. That's a snitch.

So don't be an online snitch, if you have a problem, best to take your evidence down to the Garda station and present it there. As required currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Economics101

Do we have data on what % of fatalities occur (a) after dark, (b) on local and regional roads? My impression is that a lot of serious accidents are single-vehicle, late-night ones. Much of the enforcement seems to be on National Primary roads and Motorways in daylight hours. Motorways in particular are much safer than other roads so extra enforcement would not be very effective there.

Yes, look at the research reports on the RSA website.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

doesn't work for the gardai though - they want to be able to say 'we checked the speed of 50,000 vehicles yesterday' and you're not going to get to that figure on a twisty back road. saying you checked 50k (on busy, safe(ish) roads) looks better than saying you checked 3k (on dangerous roads).

It's nothing to do with 'going to a station' vs submitting online. When you make a report to TrafficWatch phone line, they ask 'Are you prepared to make a statement the Gardai?'. When the Garda calls you to follow up, they will ask 'Are you prepared to go to Court at the end of the day?'. If you say no, your report will probably go nowhere, or at worst, will lead to a call or quiet word with the driver in question.

Presumably, when the long awaited Garda portal arrives, they will ask the same questions. It's just a handier way of reporting incidents than by phone or (as you suggest) going to the station.

You wouldn't be trying to put people off from submitting reports, by any chance?

Can we take it then, that you've no difficulty with your own personal information being shared with all and sundry? Your medical history, your browser history, your bank account transactions, your educational history - you've no difficulty with sharing this information with any organisation that reckons they'd like to have a nosey at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭chicorytip

That's a question I don't know the answer to but I do know they put themselves, other rosd users and pedestrians at risk with bad and dangerous riding/cycling. I'm talking about things like breaking red lights, travelling in the wrong direction on one way streets and not having lights or high vis apparel. I see many examples of this every day.

Presumably you see drivers doing all that dangerous stuff every day too?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

You speak with such arrogant authority, but you're just blabbering:

Dispite the RSA plaguing people with the idea that cyclists have to manage their own safety by wearing ' high vis apparel'… they have yet to provide any local evidence to support the idea. Theres been a few studies on it and the most conclusive show that it may have an impact if worn on anles or knees, but not on the torso. Theres also a difference between fluoro and reflective, that have different effects in day and night… have you considered these issues when making stupid comments?

Also 60% of cyclists attending hospital in ireland were wearing high vis, but less than 60% of cyclists actively wear high vis. What does that tell you?

On your other points… I'd like to see all road users obey the rules of the road… cars drivers should break lights, go the wrong way down one way streets, drive without their lights, break red lights, but I see it every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Oh yes, of course. The first mentioned, that is, breaking red lights.😁

I see them travelling in the wrong direction on one way streets fairly frequently, though not every day admittedly. I see them not having lights every day, driving with a broken headlight or one or two broken brake lights or an entire light cluster out or no back lights because DRLs. I see drivers with no high vis apparel on their cars, jet black and navy cars, statistically more dangerous than white or yellow cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

quite a few single vehicle deaths are not accidents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Indeed, GDPR goes hand in hand with redaction or anonymisation..

You really would expect more. GDPR is just used by people as a reason not to do something.

Advertisement