Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2024 All Ireland Senior Football Championship (Sam Maguire Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Think its just human nature myself. Once a game goes to a draw nobody really goes after the ref for costing them the game.

Whereas when a team loses by a point there always be some decision the ref got wrong that they can point at for costing them the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

The standard of penalties were fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Well that is certainly the opposite extreme of people thinking McGuinness is the Messiah.

It is certainly a huge achievement to win an Ulster title from where Donegal were coming in to this year.

And I very much doubt Tyrone were knackered.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,374 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I would argue that McGuinness has been a crucial cog in the evolution of football. Other top teams such as Kerry and Dublin refined what Jim did and moved it up a notch. The problem with Ulster there is little variation in style of play. They only know the one way of playing. Whether a team’s strengths is to play that way or not.

I am convinced if McGeeney let his fowards off the leash they would have won a lot more. But the truth is they play with a safety first mentality. Afraid to break the lines and afraid to take shots. Very frustrating to watch. Poor decision makers.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,902 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

So amateur players should have to take even more time out of their work and lives if it's a draw than a pro ?

Wasn't it the players that wanted a more solid and structured calendar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

The best team lost, Armagh threw it away. I would fancy Derry to beat Donegal if they met in the knockout stage. Here is hoping they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭babybuilder

The suggestion that McGuinness is one of the greatest managers in GAA is such a false narrative. The McGuinness haters will love that. However, he has resurrected Donegal and made them more competitive. Had he been around earlier in the late 2000s I think he may have got more than the one all-ireland. Given the limited number of experienced players and squad depth I think winning this Ulster has been a great achievement. If McGuinness was in charge of Armagh I think they would be Ulster champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

They had one less days rest than Donegal and had played extra time against Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,783 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Cavan and Donegal taking Tyrone to extra time, and Armagh taking Donegal to extra time, would put them all around the same level. Derry are a bit behind, having taken a bit of a trimming from Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭dunnerc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,441 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

• Registered Users Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭growleaves

Derry were favourites to beat Donegal though and were meant to be the best team in Ulster up until that match.

Donegal actually low-key did them a favour imo since their wandering keeper was a liability. When they lost to Galway in that semi-final I said to a friend of mine that O Lynch "must have a gambling addiction". My friend lol'd.

Derry got a reality-check and now they can ruminate and re-group.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭growleaves

Nope, but there is a kind of 'iron sharpens iron' quality to Ulster. I think it's fair to say that the teams are broadly evenly matched.

By contrast would be great to see Meath, Offaly, Kildare etc. raise their game.

I read in the paper today that Meath in 2020 were the only Division 1 county faced in a Leinster Final by Dublin since 2007. Leinster counties need to get their act together.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭threeball

Good game with great scores but can't understand teams not having a pop when you're in the final seconds and the worst you can do is put it wide. Armagh had a chance to win it in normal time but refused to shoot. Donegal had a chance in extra time but also turned up their nose. All to get thrown in to the uncertainty of a penalty shootout. If the ref has the whistle between his teeth, take the bloody shot. I've seen this happen in numerous games already this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Stefan Campbell waving to the crowd when he put Armagh 4 up with 25 still to play tells you all you need to know about this Armagh team.

And that was one of the few years Meath were division 1 recently. They were outside div 1 for about 15 years before that. The template to beat Dublin was shown today by Louth. It is not even that complicated. Based on a team working as a unit, having a go when sensible. Making the pitch big when attacking (it stretched Dublin) the Louth no 3 was right near the sideline and advanced when Louth were in possession. It was clearly worked on. And Louth used numbers and compactness in defence.

No excuse how so called “better teams” on paper than Louth - like Kildare/Meath couldn’t do the similar.

2017 to 2024 inclusive, eight of the nine in Ulster have appeared in at least one provincial final. Only Antrim failed to do so.

Nice to see Lee Keegan and Paul Flynn (TSG) being brutally honest about Armagh’s issues. An Ulster pundit would never have said it as straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Westernview

I agree. They should have a bit more maturity and humility after all the big games they've let slip. I knew once it went to extra time that Donegal would win it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Unusual penalty in Laois Carlow game. The Carlow keeper looked to have dived the right way but ball hit a divet and bounced over his body!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

What are the panel on about Donegal having a massive disadvantage having to play Tyrone next weekend? Don't they have a 2 week break now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

pat spillane has been constantly whinging that the pundits are too structured and reading from a script , rte have probably some of the best pundits they ever had this year , in canavan , whelan, fitzmorris and paul flynn . cavanaghs knowledge outside of ulster is questionable and the jury is still out on keegan as its his first year , mcginley is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Blub123

Spillane hands down one of the worst analysts to draw breadth... His criticism is laughable

of course he was funny and could come out with anything but he was playing the dunphy card as they say

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

You would think that people would know something that has been in GAA fixtures list for some time.

However, they then only have a week until a trip to Cork, who are one of the more useful lower seeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

100% he was a dire analyst, to the point where you'd wonder if he actually understood the game at all. His knowledge of other counties was always scant and he never ever mentioned colleges or club football.

Winning a clatter of All Irelands with Kerry Is not proof of any particular insight, but he played that card every time his opinion was challenged. Argumentum ad verecundiam

There could be a Newbridge or Nowhere scenario coming up in Louth. Louth have Meath in their opening game in the group, with a home venue. But "Home Venues shall be subject to approval by the Central Competitions Control Committee and shall meet the criteria set down by the National Facilities/Health and Safety Committee."

Ardee holds 2,600 and with Louth's performance against Dublin and it being a local derby with Meath, that is too small. Last year Louth agreed to move to Navan for their "home" game in the group against Cork. I was at that game and there was a lot more than 2,600. Can't find a match report with the actual attendance. The local paper is going strong on Ardee or Nowhere, while the journalist freely admits that it will make it impossible for many fans to be there. Possibly interesting times ahead.

https://www.pressreader.com/ireland/the-argus/20240508/282492893783822

just out of curiosity who was paddy burns marking today , i only seen him on the ball twice but nothing after that

• Advertisement

it was season ticket holders that caused the Newbridge situation it probably wont matter unless there are more then 1000 meath season ticket holders , reality is the club allocation will be small and very few tickets on ticketmaster maybe none at all

Advertisement