Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2024 All Ireland Senior Football Championship (Sam Maguire Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Galway v Derry will be the standout game of the opening weekend. Group 1 will potentially have a three way battle for winning the group. Mayo v Cavan could be an interesting one as well. Clare v Cork is probably a playoff for the third spot, though it's only Round 1. Kerry v Monaghan will be seen as a Round 1 battle for the group win. Louth will provide a good challenge though, based on the Leinster final showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

LOL Jimmy I meant Jimmy and the Islanders I think

• Registered Users Posts: 18,376 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Someone on here told me he can stay as long as he likes in Armagh family connections with sponsors etc etc something along those lines. In laws that type of thing. Basically he would be gone long ago other wise. Maybe an Armagh person in "The know" can fill in the gaps.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Westernview

He has contributed a lot to Armagh as player and manager but it really looks like they need a new voice now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭snowgal

anyone have an idea when theyll announce all the fixture dates and times for the all ire series? I want to buy the €50 package but need to make sure Ill definitely make the games!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Jim went mad over a late holding up of the injury time left at Clones: https://x.com/PukeFootballPod/status/1790386113976099173

Kerry v Monaghan, Galway v Derry, Dublin v Roscommon and Donegal v Tyrone will all be on GAAGO as it's football's turn to be behind the paywall. The success of the group stage this year will mainly depend on the desire of the top counties to earn the direct route to the quarter-finals.

The Munster Hurling Championship has the bit of bite of knockout to a lot of the games. The football groups don't really carry that threat.

The Derry keeper bansjaxed things for them though. Derry are a top side. Wouldn't like playing them in a knock out game, I think they are better at their "system" than Donegal are at theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Gael85

McGeeney done about 6 seasons with Kildare and must be in 10th season Armagh and won no provincial title with either county.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

I’m hearing that there were some choice chants from a small pocket of Louth supporters on the Hill. They went on the whole game from reports.

We hate Dublin, We are the Dublin haters

I’d rather be a Paki than a Dub

What da’ya think of Dublin-**** What da’ya think of ****-Dublin.

Now, while I know that some on here will concur with the above chants, the middle one is particularly outdated. Great to hear there was no reaction from the Dublin fans around the group chanting the above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Clare v Cork is a massive game this weekend, the loser is going to be in a bit of bother with games against Donegal & Tyrone to come

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Predictions for the group stage? for me..

1st - Galway,Dublin,Donegal,Kerry

2nd - Derry,Mayo,Tyrone,Monaghan

3rd - Armagh,Roscommon,Cork,Louth

4th and championship exit - Westmeath,Cavan,Clare,Meath

With home advantage for the play off round all of the 2nd place teams should progress to the All Ireland Quarter finals with maybe Armagh one 3rd place side that could reach the last eight again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Do you really think Galway will beat both Derry and Armagh?

I'd have Galway for 3rd place in their group.

The battle to win the groups is key for this format to be a success against the odds. Many think 3 getting out of the groups is crazy. Monaghan will be looking to cause an upset. Very much going on under the radar.

Group 1 is the more difficult to predict a winner. Any of the 3 are capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,789 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Armagh had Westmeath in their home group game last year as well. Just scraped through by a point. They are very strong favourites with the bookies, but never make it easy for themselves.

SAT, 27 MAY, 2023

Armagh 1-13 Westmeath 1-12 

ARMAGH diced with danger before finally managing to scramble over the line in this absorbing All-Ireland Championship round-robin tie at the sun-splashed BOX-IT Athletic Grounds on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Derry meant to have a few injuries to key defenders, Galway now full strength and at home to Derry plus unbeaten championship record against them. Walsh,Comer fit and in form they'll beat Armagh something that wasn't the case last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭C__MC

Does anyone know why Louth no longer play games at Drogheda? They are playing their game with meath at a monaghan venue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Maybe. But Galway struggled against a poor enough Mayo team in Salthill. Just got over the line in the end. I think Derry and Armagh are a big step up from Mayo. They are very reliant on Comer. I think Derry will sniff out the Comer, Walsh threat, and that doesn't leave a whole lot else for Galway. I think Mayo will get shown up as being very average. Maybe less than average. They only have one forward of quality - Ryan O'Donoghue. And that's not enough to progress much further. They should beat Cavan, and the Roscommon game could be tough one. After that, it's anyones game.

Anyway today will tell a lot. By 7.30 this evening, my opinions might be just tossed in to the bin.

In my experience those who would use that chant you refer to would be youngsters ironically strongly influenced by England/English soccer. Because that was it's origin. Years ago must be 2010 (first time I heard that chant) I remember two Meath young ones using that chant with smiles on their faces exiting Croke Park.

Comes down to the ignorance of youth really.

Thankfully it has never caught on with the main cohort of GAA fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Treble double

I believe the Ulster teams are overrated, because of a tight provincial championship that is tight because there is no outstanding team in it. I think Galway will beat Derry because they have a better spread of footballers. I think Cork will beat Clare in Ennis and will fight for top spot with Donegal. I feel that Cork are better team than Tyrone, in fact I would give Clare a shout against Tyrone if it wasn't on in Omagh. Kerry and Dublin will canter through their groups and the only team I see pushing them for honours at the end of the season is Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Flat enough game here. Looks over already at 10-2. Monaghan very poor so far. Kerry ok, just picking them off without having to do too much.

How did monaghan get to a SF last year, they are abject

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

They look like a team that already knew they had lost and are saving their performances for the next few games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭robbiezero

And pushed Dublin all the way. Some fall off even allowing for injuries and retirements.

The surprising thing is the lack of bite and fight which you always associate with Monaghan. They are in real trouble of finishing bottom of this group. That performance so far wouldn't beat a Div 4 team.

Kerry will be in the final

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Kerry wiping the floor with Monaghan. Laying down a marker. Big Joe Kernan didnt even have Kerry in his top 5 befpre Ulster final. They will be there or thereabouts. Up there with Dublin as favourites imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,098 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

No surprise surely that Kerry are top 2, top 3 at worst though is it ?

I wouldnt have thought so. Surprise for Joe Kernan perhaps.

I can only assume Joe had a brain freeze on air that morning, SURELY

• Advertisement

I didnt hear Joe say it myself but think it was Woolys podcast they were talking about it. Dont think it was a brain freeze none of the pundits put that theory across anyway about Joes top 5.

Advertisement