Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2024 All Ireland Senior Football Championship (Sam Maguire Cup)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Could be here awhile

• Registered Users Posts: 20,780 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Yes, and Donegal. And their backroom teams will have been studying the oppostion keepers.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Donegal keeper way off there too. Why aren't the commentators flagging it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭klose

The aul rectangular crossbar, lesser spotted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Honest to god a good foot+ off line for winning penalty save when it was struck

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,535 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Jimmy's winning matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Armagh's penalty record is nearly as bad as Englands. Not a comparison they'll like in Crossmaglen and elsewhere. Awful for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

..and the umpires staring straight at it.

Surely linesmen would be more qualified and more experienced to be used in these situations.

McGuinness some man all the same. Remains a solitary loss in an Ulster championship game under his stewardship. 4 Ulster titles. He has the X factor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Jimmy McGuinness is some man.

How long is McGeeney at this with Armagh?

McGuinness just sweeps in. First year. Ulster champs.

11 Ulsters for Donegal, but still in sixth place out of the nine counties. But just one behind Down with 12 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

are the goalkeepers able to move once the other player does or when the ball is hit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭blowitupref

More penalty shootout heart break for Armagh twice in Ulster finals and twice in All Ireland Quarter finals they must feel jinxed at this stage. As for Donegal back winning matches and trophies under Jim once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭shockframe

Penalty shoot outs in Gaelic Football are the sign of an epic.

The guy giving the cup is giving it socks everything the captain would say

• Registered Users Posts: 11,113 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Has to be in the top tier of managers of all-time. Only Gavin, Micko and Harte are ahead of him.

The singer in Lanzarote will have to dust off his auld song

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Horrible way to lose a match. Whatever about professional soccer and paid players, I don't think amateur Gaelic football should be decided like this. Go to a replay, both teams giving their all for 90 minutes(not to mention all the hard slogging through winter months), only for the result to be decided by 1 player at the death, and sudden death as well in today's case. That Armagh player will be feeling like crap for some time.

As harsh as it is for any team losing on penalties i still prefer it to a replay. Both teams had approx 100 minutes to win in open play and couldn't do it. Get it done on the day. One group go home elated. The other deflated. That's life. Can only be one winner. Armagh had their chances but for the umpteenth time couldn't get over the line. It's cruel on them and they'll find it hard to pick up the pieces going forward but they still have the makings of a good team.. As for Donegal they are a genuine threat for the All Ireland. McGuinness will have his eyes on the big prize.

• Advertisement

There is no shootout in the All Ireland Final. Unless it is a draw in a replay after extra time? In soccer it is always the end of the road for a shootout loser. In GAA, Armagh are still in as well as Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i have the opposite view i hated the replays often the case would be a referee would play for them late in a game if it were close , extra games always brought on more injuries too this is something i actually like that has been brought in to football , if you look back on the game and especially the late stages of normal time armagh had two attacks to win the game and didnt take them they cant be blaming penalty's for the loss

Pfft! One All-Ireland success. And a certain Sean Boylan has been way more successful than McGuinness for starters.

Edit: I'll also add that some would say McGuinness is responsible for creating an ugly brand of football.

So many games going to extra time is beginning to chip away at the theory about referees playing for draws. Since one team is going to lose, maybe on penalties, you would expect them to arrange a winner in normal time these days. There is no big pay day for the GAA like when there were replays, so that logic is gone out the window as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

You'd think McGuinness was the Messiah the way some go on. One All Ireland. One. They beat Derry because of the Derry keeper thinking he was a full forward.

Scraped a knackered Tyrone team and needed penalties to beat Armagh. Yet he'll be lauded as one the greatest ever managers of his time.

Me arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,113 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Fifth all-time then. Considering where Donegal were twice before him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

Donegal where no where before him taking over,hes only in 6 months and turns it around like he did takes some doing.

Again. Nope. John O'Mahony led Leitrim to only their 2nd Connacht Championship success in 1994, which remains the case 30 years later. I think for some Leitrim people that was almost as good as winning the All-Ireland. He also won the All-Ireland twice with Galway in 1998 and 2001.

I'm sure there's plenty of managers ahead of McGuinness if you were to think about it.

Winning 3 Ulster titles and an All Ireland (only Donegals second ever) in his first stint as manager. Highest win ratio of any Ulster manager having only lost one game in 18 or 19 i think. Taking a long break to pursue a soccer career and come back first season win Div 2 of League and wins his fourth Ulster title. I dont know or care where he stands on any all time list but he is definately a great manager. He ticks all the boxes. And he's not finished yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Advertisement