Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself? [Threadbanned users in 1st post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Earlier on, someone posted to the affect that "if someone keeps having issues with mods, they're the problem."

Well, the same could be said that if multiple posters are all of the view that there are issues with moderation - maybe it's time to accept that there is a very real problem with moderation, and not just brush it off as "mod bashing".

Post edited by Ezeoul on

Delete duplicate post.

Post edited by Ezeoul on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Too late now.
    The move from vbulletin to vanilla was a catastrophic failure that there’s no way back from.

Not to mention the week offline implementing the mess

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Well maybe as brushing it off as mod bashing it should be taken as feedback that there is a huge issue with moderation on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

As a former heavy user of the site, not to mention being a Mod, CMod and Admin at times, I believe that the site has numerous challenges these days…

Demographics - the kids ain't into discussion any more. Really limits potential growth in new users. Boardsies are a dying breed.

User Experience - The site is crap. Basic functionality no longer works or has been removed. Makes life difficult for users and worse for Mods.

Posters - 99% of posters are sound. But the 1% who aren't (especially the persistent re-reg trolls) take up 99% of Mod/Admin time and effort. The re-regs are the cnuts who drag down the tone across the site, and make it a bad experience for all users.

Site Management - Really noticable lack of Mods in a lot of forums and active Admins on the site. Not surprising given how hard it must be for them to do a proper job without the tools needed. The biggest issue that I see is overzealous modding/adminning. Guilty of it myself back in the day. But it seems like no lessons have been learned and it still stifles the discussion and pisses off genuine posters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Unearthly

For a start I’d purge most of the sub forums. So many dead forums that could easily just be one big thread.

At the moment I just see it as an elderly website in the final phase of its life. It will be a sad day when the bosses pulls the plug. I’ve been here since April 2004

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Better the graveyard than the sewer! But the internet in general is in a decline of sorts.

🙈🙉🙊

• Administrators Posts: 13,860 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Who's going to pay, and where will the money come from? How many employees would be needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Not sure of the finances to be honest but if mods were paid a small fee maybe they would be more impartial due to the risk of losing the role. At the moment many mods are there because no one else will do it. If you get a bad one in a forum it's the beginning of the end.

• Administrators Posts: 13,860 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Just as a matter of interest, what would users consider a fair "small fee" to retain good moderators? Who would be in charge of monitoring the performance of moderators and responsible for sacking/withdrawal of payment if certain performances weren't met?

It's a suggestion, but is definitely not one that is in any way workable. Like many things simple suggestions from posters are often not implemented, because if the simple suggestion was viable and workable it would already be in place. People are complaining there's not enough moderators, so how many more are needed? And what should they be paid to keep them interested?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

yep - I’m no saint but when I’ve got into trouble in the past it was mostly due to lack of moderation in a thread - not just over hours but days - reporting posts did nothing - in the past you reported a post sat back and the mods did their job - now you’re faced with days of being badgered by stupid idiots - the “report posts don’t engage with trolls” just doesn’t work anymore.

Ordinary posters are more than happy to let mods do their job - problem is there’s very few active mods around these days and some of the few remaining are just on over drive and attack the trivial things when there’s much bigger issues to deal with

The whole appeals thing for warnings and bans is also pathetic - a simple 24 hour thread ban can cool the heels - no appeal no bullsh1t taken - but that in itself could solve a lot of issues especially if it went from 1 day to 1 week to 1 month - no appeals no PMs - people would be less likely to keep acting a dick and it would feee up a lot of mod time to actually “patrol” the site

Most people respect mods but when you’re in the receiving end of a d1ckhead poster and you’re the one then sanctioned, then sorry, moderation rightfully will be called a joke on this site

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Mod warning: Abuse. Do not post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I don't personally think that moderation is what caused the decline. I've been here since 2003 under a previous account and there were complaints about moderation even back then, and even when the site was thriving. I also remember a time where the site was a left-wing echo chamber but it certainly isn't that now. You'll never have a free-for-all here because Irish law is pain in the arse. Unlike in the US, websites here are responsible for the content posted by their users. That, combined with article 40.3.2 of the constitution (the "right to a good name"), makes it very easy for an Irish site to be sued and/or silenced. I was around for the whole MCD debacle so there's previous form for it.

To me, the decline is down to a combination of the rise of social media and the Vanilla migration. One of the reasons given for the Vanilla migration was that the previous vBulletin system was too heavily customised and unreliable. Yet, this implementation of Vanilla is most definitely not "vanilla", it's again too heavily customised and unreliable. It was chosen because it was cheap, not because it was the best option. At the same time, I remember the attempts to bring in the responsive site, which was hugely unpopular, so it was probably felt that any new platform had to resemble the old one where possible. But it reminds me of putting a Windows skin on a Linux distro. Sure it might look similar on the outside but it doesn't take long for you to find the differences and it gets jarring.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,022 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I agree it has good information in places but other fora on here that used to be brilliant for information have effectively been abandoned.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Agreed. And to be crystal clear this is a comment about Don’t be a dick being a site wide rule vs certain users rule - not a mod bash.

I had a thread close by a mod recently and he said

“Thread closed, it’s terrible Joe”

I could not be arsed ever opening one again, fair enough you could say thread is a clone or to do with another thread - but no, finished it off with that childish and utterly stupid comment acting the smart ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭yagan

I can understand that where a niche interest that used to only have boards suddenly would have it's own Facebook group and everyone would head there.

It probably won't be quiet this year given its a clear opportunity for all the obsessional trans bashing. V

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

"Don't be a dick" is far too ambiguous. I know there's not much alternative but a dickhead to some people is perfectly normal to others. I know this is where mods come in but they aren't robots of course they will all have differing opinions on that matter. Maybe it's time to replace the mods with AI😛

Yeah but also there used to be a really active LGBT forum. Part of the reason there isnt is because of all the anti LGBT crap. The off the scale obsessional trans bashing has caused a good few really brilliant posters to abandon the site.

Terry Pratchet

Is boards.ie not a for profit enterprise? Why should all the profits be kept by the owners off the back of the mods work protecting them from all these threats?

It’s a great system for the owners but it’s the user who loses out. Like others have said, some incentives should be considered, it doesn’t need to be a wage even. I for one have no idea why anybody would ever give up their time to police a group of strangers on the internet.

A free idea for incentives - free premium ads on done deal / adverts(capped). Free for you to take and use or and free for distilled to implement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Been here over 20 years . The issue apart from demographics is as others said is the legal liability that could run into the hundreds of thousands if they overlook am allegedly liable post. They dont have the resources or strength to fight it so delete is the default position

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Seeing as how there are several moderators on this thread, can anyone explain the logic of the warning in this thread below relating to the use of 'anecdote' and what is or isn't an 'anecdote'.

Surely 'anecdote' is the direct experience of posters. Another word for it might be reportage or citizen journalism and what's wrong with that? For example, I'm personally aware of two Ukrainian citizens who are not genuine war refugees but it can't be mentioned as this would be 'anecdote'. Boards generally is full of 'anecdote' - people sharing experiences. The site would collapse tomorrow if threadbans were handed out for expressing 'anecdote'. And this particular mod uses their perception of 'anecdote' to hand out warnings, points and threadbans.

How on earth can you have a current affairs thread that is subject to such arbitrary censure?? This is a good example of why people are driven away from posting.

Can anyone explain?

Mod warning posted 06/03/23

Personal so called anecdotes are what caused the original Ukrainian refugee thread to be closed

Any more can expect threadbans

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

The don’t be a dick rule doesn’t seem to apply to some of the moderators on the site which I think leads to a lot of the anti mod comments. Those mods don’t lead by example. They feel free to be dicks in areas they don’t mod and seem to get let off for being a dick by because they have mod on their users profile.

What most users of the site want is consistency with the don’t be a dick rule

Regards,

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭This is it

"Nothing any of us can say will remedy their frustration but it is not, in my opinion, a legitimate complaint because no one’s ever been banned for having “an opinion”. If you consistently post in opposition to a popular opinion mods won’t ban you for that and it’s mad to say they would."

Mods are picked, in part, when their opinions align to that of other mods, cat mods, admin, and the site itself. There is a bias, unconscious or otherwise.

Thats not to say all posters with differing opinions are banned or whatever, but those with opinions against the status quo are certainly modded more strictly and are often thread banned at the drop of a hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,610 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Awful lot of victims in this thread. Perhaps if you put the same effort you put into dumping on the mods into posting in a “productive” manner, and stopped wasting mod time moaning, the site wouldn’t be in decline.

It’s very easy to post on this site and stay within the rules. It’s the same for everyone. Lads saying ‘you can’t say anything anymore’ are just either lazy or stupid, you can say whatever you want as long as it’s within the rules.

Anyone who thinks the mods are out to get them needs to give their head a wobble. If you’re getting in trouble with the mods it’s because of how you post. Obviously, posters who aren’t, constantly, getting attention will be given some “leeway” for stepping out of line but if you’re more out of line than in you can’t play the victim and go crying to “Feedback” about how the big mean old mods are targeting you,

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Profit. I'd say after Boards pay for server space and the one full time employee they have there's just about enough to keep the lights on tbh.

On the paid mods thing though is there any site that does that? And would the argument then not turn to "mods are modding based on the site owners agendas rather than being fair and impartial"

I don't think paid mods is ever a runner tbh

I'd be much happier if they put the money into making the site more functional for all users as opposed to the mess it's been since Vanilla changeover.

Ah well if that’s the case, then fair enough. Still could give them a few freebies for the mind numbing work they do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,548 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

There's a lot of truth in the above.

Demographics - an issue that cannot be targetted really as the youth of today don't really go for a Boards style site. However, if Boards is around in 10 or 20 years, the youth of today could well become the Boardsies of 10 years time - possibly.

User Experience - The site is crap. However, remember what it was like before the move? Constantly crashing, issues a plenty etc, without the move the feeling was Boards would definitely not survive. At least it is somewhat stable now, if a little more crap.

Posters - the vast majority are the reason why boards is still around. The quality and quantity of their posts makes it the reason why Mods/Admins put in so much free time to weed out the 1%….. until they return and the process starts again.

Site Management - some Forums are well Modded, both in quality and quantity and rarely have issues. Other Forums have issues, both in the quality of the poster and of the Mods themselves or lack thereof. The whole issue of liability is always in the back of a Mods head, which can seem like stifling discussion/over zealous moderation, but it is sometimes necessary. If would be great if that issue didn't exist - but that's not the case.

Poor Modding is of course an issue too, we are but human afterall and do make mistakes. I have seen first hand how Admins and CMods do indeed contact Mods in regard to their moderation and indeed have seen Mods De-Modded. But it is better to try to improve a Mod through discussion rather than DeMod - as pointed out, there is a lack of Mods in certain areas and posters aren't exactly putting their hand up to become a Mod. In fact, I can assure you, it can be Very Tiresome and Very Time Consuming to constantly look for Mods in Forums and No poster contacted would actually want to step up. I can certainly see why they wouldn't want the hassle, but if there were no moderation, there wouldn't be a site.

You are of course correct. Mods or even CMods cannot apply a warning to a Mod but Admins have been messaged to apply a Warning to a Mod for their posts. Not having the old Yellow and Red cards for posts is a real pity. It is a chore for some Mods to edit a post with Mod - Warning issued - but it would certainly help transparency and actually stop the same post getting reported again and again.

• again that’s not the case. You’ll find (this is one of those trust me bro things) the users threadbanned quite quickly are often trouble makers to begin with.

With enough experience we can almost instantly tell when someone’s giving an opinion to partake in the discussion vs someone just trying to get a rise.

Also sure as the sky is blue we get it wrong occasionally and that’s why we have cmods and admins to keep things in order. Like if mods are floor staff (using restaurant terminology here so bare with), cmods are supervisors and admins are the managers.

If there’s a problem with a mod interaction you can report to a cmod to have a look who can then if necessary forward to admin for review. Often I find this doesn’t happen though. A mod interacts, poster either just doesn’t reply or just complains but never goes any further. Then they come here to threads like this and whinge about how unfair the system is when they never bothered to engage with the system for whatever reason.

To suggest a random assortment of individuals somehow all align with the same views on things is ridiculous as well. I’ve often disagreed with and seen plenty of disagreement between mods, cmods and admins about one thing or another. Even among the AH mods we don’t always share the same opinion on things.

We also regularly discuss and share opinions on any given topic when we’re unsure. The thing is most users will never see the background workings so it’s easy to feel like we’re just out banning and warning with abandon, but let me promise you whether or not you believe it is up to you, there is absolutely a strong team of people behind us keeping things in check and ensuring no mod goes rouge.

I also see a lot of people who for whatever reason refuse to use DRP as they feel it’s some sort of foregone conclusion. The fact of the matter is if any mod infracts you unfairly in your opinion but that’s not backed up by the cmod or admin reviewing your dispute it’s probably not all that unfair to begin with.

• Advertisement

You are of course correct. Mods or even CMods cannot apply a warning to a Mod but Admins have been messaged to apply a Warning to a Mod for their posts. 

That is interesting. I've never seen that mentioned before.

So reporting a mod who is being a dick is pointless, unless reported to an Admin.

Good to know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement