Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself? [Threadbanned users in 1st post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

That's not the question I asked. I asked how can a mod objectively mod a poster/s who they think has an agenda, think they're posts are farcical, or they think is a dick… - I didn't ask how a mod mods someone who is a dick or has an agenda. But you seem just incapable of seeing anything from a poster's angle.

And in a number of posts tonight, you've shown this determination to just flip every question back from a perception on a mod to a poster. It can't be all one way…

That just can't work.

You don't see a problem with that, no?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Probably depends on the poster, their history, the forum, and topic in question, their posting style on the topic, but realistically, one determines the other doesn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,231 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Here is what Big Bag of chips posted:

“general you're not going to get banned for expressing an opinion. Controversial or otherwise”

Realistically, there are huge inconsistencies in the subjective actions of mods, hence why there are realistic criticisms of the performance of mods, and why posters leave.

There really shouldn’t be actions taken against posters just because they have a different opinion from mods.

So I’ll ask again, what is the difference between an agenda and an opinion, is there a boards.ie protocol for moderating this site?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Musicrules

I don't know if this is through instruction but I find the way mods treat people to be quite appalling. They appear to take joy in being nasty to people when handing out warnings. Why is that? It's a form of bullying in my opinion. Maybe they get a kick out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,292 ✭✭✭This is it

Ah come on, that's definitely not the norm across boards

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

A Mod uses their opinion, what they think - thought that was obvious.

Mods often leave a post to another Mod to deal with - as I mentioned earlier, more than one Mod in a Forum. When it is clear that a post needs a warning, it doesn't really matter which Mod issues a warning. If a poster is being a dick, they should get a warning, if a Mod issues a warning incorrectly, there is DRP.

Perception can be viewed from more than one angle, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭jj880

Yeah that thread is being modded very tightly. You cant post a meme or even state that you're sickened by Donaldson (without posting any details).

Well I haven't encountered every mod but the ones I've dealt with have been quite nasty. Others have messaged me saying similar so it's not just me.

But you most certainly will get a Warning if it is considered Baiting/Trolling - that's also true. Both can be true, it depends on the circumstances.

Having an opposing opinion is not a problem. A non Man United fan, going into the Man United thread and saying they are shite will get you a warning. That would be an opinion but expressed directly with an agenda in mind - i.e. trolling. Hope that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭ozmo

Genuine question- how do you guys manage the quantity of emails these threads create? My gmail is full again of hundreds of posts from this thread alone.

Myself - I dont know why this thread is blaming the moderators - the site died when the software platform changed- same mods before and after - different software behaviour. By dropping its summaries- its lost its hook to keep new posters engaged- a key trick (“engagement loop“) all successful social media does well.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭babyducklings1

This is such a good point. It’s all instant now. People want to know the answer yesterday. I still think boards is worthwhile and there are definitely knowledgeable people posting on here and people who are willing to take the time to help others and/ or post opinions be they good or bad.

Personally I hate explainer videos ( unless I’m trying to do a house task that I’m not familiar with or something IT related and that I need a video for) Otherwise I much prefer to read text. But the generation coming up are all visual. Attention span is definitely getting shorter too and this isn’t a good thing. I wonder if this is worldwide or in countries that are more IT literate. PS My post was in response to an earlier post which I didn’t quote so apologies and I can’t find it now as thread has so many pages.

Post edited by babyducklings1 on

I wouldn't dream of having email notifications turned on for posts from a thread, christ, I would have 'the fear' everytime I checked my email if I was away from Boards for a few days.

If you've regular dealings with multiple mods, the issue is likely you.

I'm here since 2010 and while there are definitely mods about that shouldn't be, in my opinion most are fine.

I would think your first line is right on the money.

Your second line is fairly spot on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Avenger2020

mods ruined it

cant say anything these days

i wonder if I actually said something hateful spiting hatred would I get the same restrictions as I was just stating an opinion on the bad management of a government department

The problem with that is I just said others have messaged me saying the same thing.

I'll give you an example. There's a mod who for whatever reason decided to goad me and post in an aggressive fashion despite knowing that I had just had to put my dog down and wasn't in a very good state. I've reported this but nothing is being done.

I've no doubt some mods are on a power trip, or are nasty at times, but I know from my own time here that it's not the norm. Makes no odds how many people message you to say the same.

Others - meaning they had run ins with Mods or that Mod in particular? Not necessarily the best council in fairness.

Never nice when a dog is put down though.

Maybe you just have been lucky? At least we cleared up that it's not my fault.

That mod in particular. But reading some posts on this thread, maybe it's quite common?

Yes, it wasn't nice.

• Advertisement

Yes, it is quite common for posters who have issues with a Mod to act in such a way. I've no idea if the Mod was right or not but, as you say, you got several pm's from posters who had issues with that Mod is not necessarily a solid foundation to be building on.

Anyway, that issue has been reported, so I will leave it there.

Maybe, or maybe like the majority I just don't act the bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭hello2020

This site layout is outdated as anyone can take over a conversation by posting continuously.. there needs to be a grouping mechanism to subgroup replies with in a conversation

• Registered Users Posts: 14,231 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

What is the bollox?

I might think you are a bollox just because you have an opinion I don’t agree with, or even the majority don’t agree with, does that make you a bollox?

• ah would you stop. 1/4 of this thread is useful, insightful and constructive criticism.

Then it’s the usual “boards is dead”, “Reddit is better”, “mods just ban you for your opinion” hysteria.

Rather than hysterical comments decrying mods for their complete oppression these threads could be focused more on the factual concerns and issues with the site. There’s plenty of perfectly valid and reasonable comments and complaints here but spanning the entirety it’s riddled with nonsense as usual.

If someone wants to express their concerns about site moderation, functionality etc there’s no problem there from any of us that I see and not one mod or admin has made any comment to the contrary. However if posters seriously think it’s “their opinion” that’s the problem then I can’t help them honestly.

Nothing any of us can say will remedy their frustration but it is not, in my opinion, a legitimate complaint because no one’s ever been banned for having “an opinion”. If you consistently post in opposition to a popular opinion mods won’t ban you for that and it’s mad to say they would.

However if for example you’re clearly doing so in order to cause or fuel an argument or hostility then you would be nudged to stop and if you refuse and it’s determined you’re just trolling you will be warned/threadbanned or whatever.

I mean AH literally has a controversial opinion thread and it’s one of the least modded threads in the forum. By the logic we’re banning everyone with a different opinion we’d be using the thread like shooting fish in a barrel. Your opinions don’t get you in trouble generally speaking it would be your posting style and how you express that opinion.

But no one wants to hear that because then the mods aren’t the big evil ogre and can’t be blamed for the sites problems. Maybe some of you weren’t here before but vBulletin was a lot stricter in my opinion and you got away with a hell of a lot less.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Green Peter

I just have this mental picture of a few particular mods in their underpants sitting at their computers banging loudly on their keywords with big Dennis Taylor glasses and a cat on their lap. Maybe a Mayo jersey on the odd one.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

That's down to our country's own libel laws though which put the blame on the site publishing the content (posts in this case) rather than the actual author (the forum poster). Archaic, absolutely but until the government amend these it has to be done unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,623 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

This thread seems to have turned into mod bashing complaining

I appreciate helpful posters who answer a question or query

The maintenance issues are annoying @Boards.ie: Mike

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

That's what these threads always turn into, mod bashing threads.

• Advertisement

Perhaps a few particular mods have a vision of a few particular posters. Maybe a spotty faced teenager, their friends being usernames on a website, believing a sense of self importance is both engrained and enriched with every passing warning they receive. Who inevitably end up spitting out their dummy on some thread.

Perhaps. Who knows.

But Taylor, a former World Champion, never liked cats, apparently. Cool/innovative glasses at the time though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement