Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself? [Threadbanned users in 1st post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Then they know how 'some' posters are likey to think - handy that.

• Administrators Posts: 13,799 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Easier to just get rid of some people than debate endlessly with them via PM

No moderator is expected to "debate endlessly" with posters. The above poster is a prime example. He has no interest in actually taking on board anything that is being said to him. He has become an absolute timesink for both the moderator of the forum and me. I have a many many PMs from him saying "now he did…." "and now he's after….." "now he did…..". Should I continue to debate endlessly with him? Should I be expected to?

You've all seen on this thread an example of some of the stuff volunteer moderators have to deal with and how/why a siteban might come about. The above poster possibly should have been sitebanned a couple of weeks ago. He absolutely should have been forum banned. The moderator didn't want to go that far. Indeed when a legitimate warning from the moderator triggered a siteban, the moderator immediately reversed it so as not to siteban him. In many situations posters are given far more leeway than they probably should, because believe it or not, all moderators aren't "power hungry" and wanting to ban everyone for having an opinion! When posters aren't immediately warned or banned by the "power hungry moderators" we then have other posters complaining that moderation is non-existant and posters are allowed "run wild".

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Boards a bit like Paypal was great years ago now its all Revolut

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Eh… what precisely is wrong with having reservations / differing views on trans, immigrant, or whatever-you're-having- issues of the day??

Is there some law that says we should all sing off the same hymn sheet?? What's wrong with having a different opinion?

No doubt but that there are some threads where there is a prevailing view and anyone who differs is not really welcome. That's fine and understandable at one level, as birds of a feather flock together etc. But in these cases, moderators should allow another thread to be run dealing with the same issues but where all views are welcome.

This is a novel idea and one worth exploring. A reset button.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Look at these attitudes to posters who are raising their concerns/points. 1. Dismissive of posters and their grievances as farce. 2. Very quick to pettily respond with insults. 'Dick' 'Pricks' 'dick.'

Some mods need a break. A long break.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Attitudes to certain posters - who have a Very Clear Agenda - but that wouldn't include you of course….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭scottser

Most discussion forums I've joined have had Mods who were a lot more thin-skinned and sensitive than on here. This is one of the few i haven't been barred from yet. But the whole ban on commenting on anything before the courts is a bit of a nonsense imo. It's not like any of us are parties to any proceedings, posting details of evidence or prejudicing the trial in any way. Discussion and conjecture should be fair game imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

…believe it or not, all moderators aren't "power hungry" and wanting to ban everyone for having an opinion!

Not all, but some definitely are, and they abuse their moderator privileges.

And I'm sorry, but I think the CMods and Admins know very well who these moderators are, but give them "a nudge", or a talking too, rather than acknowledge they are not up to the role and de-mod them. I think that is because of the so often given reason that there are not enough mods as it is, and that mods are volunteers. So they keep them, even the bad ones. All done behind closed doors, of course, in a mod only forum.

I'd rather no moderation, than bad moderation. At least then it would be a level playing field, even if said playing field became a free for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭nachouser

I think my point was very clear. People post stuff on here that they would not post in real life situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭MakersMark

In my opinion, the mods here are brain washed left wing parrots.

TThere's Some useful info in the Motors section.

'I'd rather no Mod than a bad Mod' - interesting idea, but with no Mods at all, I would imagine Boards would be Liable to close rather quickly.

Most of the 'bad' posters are very well known to Mods ( both good and bad ones). They frequently appear in threads like these - as they have already in this one. Warning and Banning them takes time unfortunately, but it is a worthwhile task imo.

Mods do get De-Modded, not just because they are Bad Mods, but because they get tired of dealing with Bad posters.

It is what it is, always has been I reckon. Bad Mods and Bad posters co-exist in a lot of ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I should have added that there is very, very little of what I would write here that I wouldn't openly discuss in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭jj880

Boards used to be the trust tree. Now its not. Warned. Banned. Posts disappear. Sometimes I wear my old boards t-shirt and reminisce about bottles of lemon hooch and posting anything I want. Would bring a tear te yer eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Equally a lot of posters leave the site because of bad mods, I don’t bother posting in the football forum because the mods are are, well, you know the rest.

Define a bad poster? How do they get mods demodded?

And, of course, you'll return to your accusation of me having an agenda.

• Administrators Posts: 13,799 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

And I'm sorry, but I think the CMods and Admins know very well who these moderators are, but give them "a nudge", or a talking too, rather than acknowledge they are not up to the role and de-mod them because of the so often given reason that there are not enough mods as it is, and that mods are volunteers. All done behind closed doors, of course, in a mod only forum.

In the same way posters are oftentimes given a nudge behind closed doors (via PM) rather than onthread. Posters, and moderators are given chances. A moderator will not be demodded immediately if there are problems. Same as a poster won't be banned immediately (take our friend on this thread as an example!) Being a mod is a thankless job. It's a very public job and people are expected to never make a mistake - And accept abuse if they do. The background team of moderators would rather work with a moderator to help them resolve whatever is going on rather than pile on and demod immediately. Sometimes, demodding will end up being the appropriate outcome, but not before a fair chance has been given to make changes.

And just as posters are not going to be privy to every action taken against other posters, they also don't need to be privy to actions taken against moderators.

• Advertisement

This is unfortunately probabaly true, as for the Soccer Mods, …dealing with All kind of posters, yes, I know the rest. Football forum is tipping away nicely actually, you should try it

I'm sure you are well capable of defining such a poster yourself. Post 203 should give you an idea on your other question.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,937 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I've been here since 2007 and I think most mods are excellent. Got a bee in my bonnet about mods who do fupp all modding but it's so hard to know who mods what now I have to just shake my fist at clouds instead.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Been here for years and never had a problem with any moderator personally.

I'd have more of a focus on how to we go about attracting new members to the site, is it possible at all these days?

Even more importantly then would be how to keep them visiting?

I think discussion sites like Boards are not appealing to the youth of today who are social media junkies to some extent - broad generlisation I know. As they grow older, Boards might become more of an option maybe.

For the record, I don't want any mod demodded. But I do think it gets to a stage where some mods and posters shouldn't interact after it has turned sour (after respect has been lost on both sides).

For instance, how can a mod objectively mod a poster/s who they think has an agenda, think they're posts are farcical, or they think is a dick…

That just can't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,301 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Hmm.. would a boards.ie twitter handle for trending posts help to attract a wider audience I wonder.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Well, they can Mod them perfectly well if the poster has an agenda, their posts are farcical and they are a dick.

Otherwise, most Forums have a couple of Mods and they can deal with posters aswell, or there is DRP where another couple of opinions can be sought - if actually needed, for fairness. If after three opinions are sought, generally if the mud sticks, the problem is the poster/post in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

What’s the difference between an agenda and an opinion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭batman75

I had a post removed relating to Donaldson which was very general and mentioned no people or allegations. Mod who messaged me has come across very badly. I like boards and enjoy reading it's contents. I also appreciate being a moderator can be a thankless task. I'm also aware of the possibility of litigation hovers over a site like this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement