Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself? [Threadbanned users in 1st post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

That's simply not always the case. For example I was banned off the Enoch Burke thread for simply expressing a degree of admiration for the family. This was clearly enough to put the other posters there into paroxysms of rage and report me as upsetting them. What's wrong with expressing a degree of admiration?

I'm banned off the immigration thread for merely asking if the views of one of the other very regular pro migrant posters were related to their employment. That's was a perfectly reasonable observation and ridiculous reason to ban.

Neither of these offending posts were uncivil in any way or possible cause of legal difficulties.

• Administrators Posts: 13,801 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Interesting to see the edgy posters who post "I'll probably get banned for this" not actually getting banned, or even warned! In general you're not going to get banned for expressing an opinion. Controversial or otherwise. The basic rule of "Don't be a dick" still stands. Although I believe a few years ago we had to stop using that phrase as it upset the sensibilities of some.

The huge huge majority of posters on this site do not have a catalogue of warnings. Many have no warnings at all. Not even on thread nudges or PM to steer them in the right direction. The huge majority of posters are capable of having discussions without being a dick. If you are a poster who says "I'll probably get banned for this" then most likely you are a poster who regularly gets warnings because in general you're being a dick.

The site is different to what it was 20 years ago, 15 years ago, 5 years ago. But the internet is different. The world is different. Attitudes are different. More people are more angry. And more angry people have very easy access to the internet!

It is amusing to see posts every couple of years about how Boards.ie is dying and "will be shut down in a few months" though. Someday it might be. But for now it is still very much an active discussion board. Obvious by the number of people who continue to post here, even if just to complain about what a sht site it is 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭yagan

Thinking on it long term I do think there's actually a bright future for this forum in the nationwide context, but no forum will ever match its pioneering days. I saw a discussion somewhere stating that globally the highpoint of engagement in online forums like boards was around 2008, after that social media platforms like FB diluted local fora all over the world.

In recent years I was finding myself posting less and less on reddit and then last year after the Hamas attack I made a reply on r/worldnews about consequences in which I stated if historical Israeli reactions were anything to go by then about 40 thousand Palestinians were going to die. The post was very matter of fact, a dry observation. I didn't use any invective or bias, it was a singular post so wasn't part of any in-thread drama, but merely stating a projection based on verified UN historical averages.

I got site banned for a week for that comment. It left me felling very weary of the forum. I don't think I would have been banned for the same comment here, as this place has a linear memory that reddit doesn't. I'm sure there are many other regular users who will get turned off it in similar ways. Anytime I look at r/ireland it really is just the same daily discussions and little useful information.

Reddit isn't a discussion forum. In ways it feel like the end of the internet rather the frontpage, similar in ways to how parents and grandparents turning up on FB killed it off for younger people.

From a utilitarian point of view I've always gone to boards for information. We were debating about getting an EV in the last couple of years but while we never had to post asking about it as there were loads of useful information in the cars forum discussions to help us weigh up the pros and cons around our own driving needs. There's a few other boards forums that I trawl for information without posting, and I'm sure there's people who never log in who do the same.

I would opine that sites like this have reached maturity, and those who love in-thread drama continue to find eachother across all forums while everyone else who just needs information gets that too.

The internet is the greatest social communications revolution since the printing press, and that kicked off the reformation wars! Perhaps we're just in another phase of internet, the post early adaptor phase where the early enthusiasm and general cooperative pioneer spirit of a new venture is overtaken by the arrival of the rest of society with all its personal biases and dramas.

For things that actually matter it's hard to beat Boards as a first stop query source.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

this post pretty much sums up how out of touch the Admins/some mods are with the goings on in the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭purifol0

Mod note: this thread has run it's course closing now.

Mod note: this thread is hugely popular but we are closing it anyway because it's causing us too much work.

Mod note: thread has deviated from original post slightly so it's being closed.

Mod note: don't necro old threads despite the fact that the people who posted there will still get notified and can still respond.

Mod note: no complaining about mods.

• Advertisement

For the record: Regarding Reported posts. 100s of posts can be reported in day. Moderators do not just action a post based on reports. Just because a post is reported doesn't automatically mean it warrants warning. In at least 50% of the cases a moderator will decide no action is needed.

So on one hand we have complaints of heavy-handed moderation and on the other we have posters reporting posts and complaining that the moderators aren't taking enough action.

I haven’t seen Furze99’s post expressing a degree of admiration for Enoch Burke, nor the posts of any of the others banned on that thread, but in your opinion, were any of them banned just for expressing their opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The Enoch Burke thread is as good an example as any of one of the issues that boards has. There is a long list of thread banned posters on page 1 and the one thing they had in common was expressing some sort of understanding, tolerance, sympathy for the situation that the Burkes and Mr.Burke are in.

The prevailing tone on that thread is one of ridiculing, belittling, hating towards the Burkes. So anyone who differed even mildly was hounded off it and banned. So what's left is an echo chamber of those who just want to pile on Enoch Burke and his family. With the result that the thread died a death. Extraordinarily it is/ was actually one of those threads that could be a real source of legal problems for boards, if the Burkes have kept tabs on it. Some outrageous stuff was posted there.

Would you like to expand? Or just throw out a one liner with no discussion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Mods are volunteers. Great respect for them. I’ve received loads of warning and bans over the years. Just man up and accept your ban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

I've received a good peppering of warnings myself over the years since 2009. 4 decent skin mods though.

I haven't seen the posts, or even read the thread so I'm afraid I can't answer. Vanilla doesn't make it easy to go back and see deleted posts. It is up to Furze99 to appeal the warning/ban if they feel it was unfair.

In general posters don't get warned for simply expressing an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

There’s no saving it. Times have moved on. These type of platforms are dying out everywhere. They did themselves no favours with the transition, it just accelerated the decline. The site is still useful for the odd item, but the quality of what is here has nosedived. It’s sad to see the place’s reputation now. It seems like a lot of the new discussions are driven by head the balls/cranks and reregs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I think people eventually realise that no one ever changes their mind about anything as a result of a stranger’s opinion on a message board. I’ve never changed my mind on a single thing as a result of all my years here.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,555 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I always find these complaints about moderation gas. Nothing ever changes.

People were complaining about 'heavy handed moderation' when the site was at its peak.

So you things haven’t improved even though it is obvious the posters are deserting?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

That's not the contradiction you think it is. And conveniently ignores some posters outlining that they're being targeted for their views no matter how they express their points.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

I did, wholly and irreversibly, around same sex adoption.

Said that I was unsure that it was in the best interest of the child, for societal issues that child would encounter.

I was, politely yet forcibly, given reams of fact checked research into why I was wrong and that led to me completely changing my viewpoint.

Edit: completely coincidentally this popped up as a "memory" post on Facebook

Post edited by Norrie Rugger Head on

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

What have I got to do with old threads? 😂

Someone mentioned 'Soccer' being hidden, well unfortunately that's one of the (not so) fun drawbacks of the Vanilla move, you can't have private access only forums which are viewable to all they have to go under the 'Groups' option.

On the whole 'the site is dying' thing, it's just the way that people using the internet has changed really (Vanilla being absolute dirt has accelerated the decline mind you). I posted something similar to this on another thread recently:

All the young ones are on Instagram or TikTok following the latest influencer nowadays or watching YouTube for similar. They don't give a **** about 'Leo whatshisface' other than what 30 second clip they see. Forum based discussion doesn't interest them at all from my experience.

Imagine a world where you had 'Boards Live' where people could post voice and video messages in real time... *shudders*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭tom23

I like boards. Been here since 2011 but have started posting a lot more in the 18 months. The likes of the DIY / Cars / computers where you ask a question and you get quality answers, perfect for me.

I was thread banned of one thread and I thought it was harsh. I guess when you are in the CA topic you need to play it a certain way.

Overall it works for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I got a warning for asking if the usual anti sinn fein brigade would condemn Jeffrey Donaldson the way they so quickly and vocally condemn anything they percieve to be negative about Sinn feinn. That was on the Donaldson thread. A fair enough question i thought.

Im banned from that thread now which is probably fair enough.

Its hard to know what you can and cant say these days even after reading the warnings. Inconsistent modding to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

They're not getting banned or warned on this thread because they're entitled to post a complaint and outline their perception on a feedback thread. It's not the same as on a general thread elsewhere. So, that point is disingenuous. Some posters are clearly saying their views expressed, no matter how objective in tone, are targeted. I would be opposite opinion of them on what they're posting, but I can see their point.
    You're second point is loads of posters don't get warned or banned so the warned or banned ones must deserve it. Absolutely no nuance or complexity to that point. It seems to be a paragraph orchestrated to repeat the term dick to prick at people getting warnings or bans. So, "edgy." One mod celebrates 60 replies and over a thousand views… and yet that would suggest the vast, VAST majority view but don't post… perhaps that might suggest something on the figures of warnings in comparison to users.
    Your third point is the world is different. Just a load of ambiguous bollocks again without addressing anything. Apparently, you know we have more angry people in the world. But maybe you really do know because you seem to be one of them. You love using the word dick. But sure look, you didn't insult a poster 🙄
    Considering you've gone out of your way to target some posters without tagging them, using derogatory terms like 'edgy' and using the term 'dick' three times in four paragraphs, will you be changing your name to Big Bag of Dicks?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I don't know how anyone can say Reddit is better than boards, Reddit is an absolute cesspit of a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,555 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If moderation was heavy enough to be complained about back in 2006 when this was one of irelands biggest websites then it's not the cause of current receding numbers.

Nothing lasts forever. The world moves on. Boards will eventually just be another casualty like Digg, ask Jeeves and MySpace. I'm amazed it's lasted as long as it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,257 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The Enoch thread is a great example in a way. A lot of those that got banned were trying to spin the thread into another anti-trans thread. Which despite Enoch (and those threadbanned) desperately tried to claim was an irrelevant point to what was actually going on/being punished (Enoch's behaviour).

This lack of comprehension was then blamed on mods (just like the Burkes rambling blame about Judges being to blame rather than Enoch)

You're second point is loads of posters don't get warned or banned so the warned or banned ones must deserve it. Absolutely no nuance or complexity to that point

The same way that there's no nuance or complexity to the posts here - your own included - about Mod bias and certain posters being picked on purely for having an opinion. No poster is picked on just for having an opinion. There is always "nuance and complexity".

I am speaking in general terms. I am not discussing individual cases because 1 - I do not have knowledge of every single warning or ban on the site and 2 - it would be incredibly unfair to pick out a particular poster and discuss any action taken against them.

So this is a general thread, about Boards.ie in general. If you would like to discuss a very specific action, warning or ban then you are perfectly entitled to do so, and we can look at the nuances and complexities there. The channels are available. And, much to the disappointment of many of the regular cranks, a significant number of appeals do get overturned. A decision won't be overturned just because the poster thinks they're hard done by. But decisions have been overturned after discussion and agreement with all parties.

The question posed is how can Boards save itself - yet has just turned into another moderator bashing thread. Have you any suggestions how Boards can save itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I have been here since around 2003. I find boards very useful, and I've got a lot out of it. I like it overall. I think there's a lot of factors causing the undeniable decline, most of which are just part of changing modern times and different ways of interacting now.The new site definitely caused a lot of damage, though.

Moderation has always been a bone of contention, and I don't know if it would ever be possible to find the perfect balance. I don't think it's fair to just dismiss gripes about modding as being from cranks and troublemakers, though - there are fair points made regularly in feedback threads that are just dismissed. I have never received an infraction or ban (just one on-thread warning ever, I think). So I've never had a conflict with mods, but even I feel moderation can be a bit stifling at times. In particular, I just don't get closing threads for spurious reasons about duplication, arbitrarily deeming the topic pointless, or restricting posts from prolific thread-starters. Especially at a time of dying content. But I'm still here, I still like boards and there's really nothing else like it out there for an Irish context.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭yagan

I agree about Reddit, but even at its height of popularity I found the after hours forum on this site to be as bad a cesspit.

I never understood how people could get so invested in emotional arguing with strangers on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭Allinall

What a load of waffle that actually says mothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bartkingcole

I get the whole point of ‘don’t be a dick’ - that is sage advice, but I would also say that there are some who should stop looking for ways to be offended on their own behalf and on behalf of others.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement