Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself? [Threadbanned users in 1st post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

The last time Boards tried an app it was an even worse shítshow than Vanilla if that's possible.

I can only imagine what a marriage of both would turn out like 😱😱.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

younger people do not use browsers, especially on phones.

• I think the visual aspect of Mod**** bla bla showing on posts that a poster is not moderating on would ideally appear only in the forum they moderate.

• Yes I don’t care too much either re app, my practice is to keep 4 favourite threads open, there’s a nice symmetry about it. I try and always have the Liveline one open, then 3 other currently active threads where I can see which way the argument is going.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,302 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Site works perfectly fine on chrome on mobile.

Your don't need an app, a shortcut link will do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭notAMember

yesss, to some extent. But there are consistent posters on a couple of subforums, who lie in wait like the storied trolls, rolling out the typical boring troll tropes like "Why should we believe you", or strawman stuff "what you're saying is…" with some outlanding misinterpretation, just to goad and cause drama. Or some comment on the persons character in a childish rule-dodging way like "I find people who say things like that are idiots". Or relentless pointless questions or commentry where the topic is already perfectly obvious, frustrating the other posters. (aka Sealioning)

All of those fall into Don't be a dick, but after the 10th, 20th, 30th report for the same posters being actioned and the posts seemingly being edited, content trimmed without any mod note, the original posters have long gone, and the regular posters get tired of repeating the reports.

But I agree, it's not everywhere, just a few places I've seen.

Bigger problem is the buggy site design.

I would like to see the stats… average posts per month, or day, over the years. I have a perception it's dropped, but maybe it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Do you support the idea of group think on a thread? Where a number of posters dominate the narrative and anyone who differs is then accused of annoying the others?

This is possibly fine, as long as alternative threads are allowed to be opened on the topic. Worst case is when moderators refuse to allow other threads but allow the group think to dominate. Maybe you have a term for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Shoog

If you want to open a new thread because your position isn't gaining any traction on another thread - that's a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,666 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

My question is where did everyone go?

Is there some cool place we don't know

Mods can be a pain on power trips i got banned form the football page for literally opinions,

The time they changed a couple of years back was the final nail in the coffin ,

I also wonder has working from home helped kill boards, people have tv's or whatever on & don't come here to escape the 9 to 5 grind

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Suggesting to a poster, who believes the other poster tried to dox them and hounded another poster, that they should take it to pm and interact with them is truly bizarre to me.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 13,870 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

The posters themselves are welcome to contact any of the Admins if they feel this is an issue. I am unaware of the situation. It may already have been dealt with. Until 1 of the people contact me themselves with a complaint and details then I cannot investigate.

You getting offended on someone else's behalf and trying to bring it back to this thread when neither poster has brought forward a complaint is what causes threads to get derailed.

There are processes to follow if someone has a complaint. This is a feedback thread on how posting can be improved.

• for myself anyway I’ve come to realise perhaps I can at times be a little (and sometimes more than a little) abrasive and whatnot. I will make efforts to rectify that and going forward try to be a bit more understanding with folks.
    I appreciate any and all who have taken the time to express their feelings whether positive or negative and whether about the site as a whole, moderation specifically or both, it’s all valuable and I just wanted to take a moment to share that appreciation.
    This thread has, thank god, avoided descending into a farce and just taking shots at mods and admins and those who you may not personally agree with, it’s given us a lot to think about I think is fair to say.

As I said, for myself I see where I may have been wrong in how I’ve come across with some of you here and I appreciate how that would make you feel; I will make a concerted effort to be more reasonable and understanding in future.
    I won’t pretend we’re all going to be best friends by the end of it all, but I at least hope we can move forward in a more positive manner in all interactions.

I appreciate also BBoC insights and suggestions both here and privately and have taken on board their feedback which I will keep in mind in future.

Lastly, I’d just like to extend an apology to anyone who I may have upset in the past and ask you please understand I just want the site and of course After Hours specifically to be the most welcoming and friendly place it can be, while I can come across as rather harsh it does not mean I don’t understand people have feelings and things sometimes boil over, if I’ve addressed you in a manner unbefitting then my sincere apologies. I am a chef, so my temperament is very matter of fact but I realise that doesn’t always come across well online especially.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the feedback so far. Keep em coming. 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

If you can't handle the heat get out of the kitchen.

Thanks to Big Bag of Chips for the respectful way they have interacted with posters, it's not easy to deal with criticism and negativity you're not responsible for.

• YES CHEF THANK YOU CHEF

BBOC for President 2025 🇮🇪

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

I’d like to agree - I’ve spoken at times to Big Bag of Chips and they are fair, straightforward and good people!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,924 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

This is something I suggested to an admin some time back and was told it was something that would probably be a good idea but couldn't be implemented with the new set up.

It's obvious to some that a minority of mods are on a power trip with the Sherriffs badge constantly visible, this supposed ethos that is meant to prevail where posters are instructed to "attack the post and not the poster" does not seem to apply to mods posting outside the forums they moderate.

I've had a difference of opinion with mods on one forum only to be warned for something mickey mouse when I post soon afterwards on a forum they moderate. Real petty stuff that I couldn't be bothered entertaining them with a reply to. Maybe I should have if but to my mind that's only feeding their ego. One mod wasn't here a wet week when he banned me from the shooting forum because amongst other things I highlighted how one poster over there is seemingly above reproach and allowed post all kinds of right wing anti Garda, anti Government tripe without fear of repercussions.

Part of the reason he gave me for implementing the ban was when he previously warned me I didn't interact with him afterwards. You couldn't make this stuff up.

Having said that there are some great mods on here who are a credit to themselves and the forum, they let discussions flow, don't take differing points of view personally and share their expert opinions freely. I've seen a mod publically pull another mod back into line when it was needed and stuff like that is good for the site. This attitude of "we are mods, we are spartans" is pathetic.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Administrators Posts: 13,870 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Having "Moderator" beside a name was always visible. Even on the old platform. It is not possible to selectively display it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

I’d also put those posters who jump on everyone for “evidence” or “links” to anything posted that they disagree with, yet when their statements are pulled up they disappear for 20/50 “buffer” posts before returning and hoping it’s blown over while their post remains into the same bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

Most of the posts in this thread, wondering why the forum is "dying" are either complaining about moderation or complaining about posters.

The answer to the OP lies within those two extremes: Tolerance.

Or rather, lack of it, is what kills all forums and human discussion and interaction.

There is no limit to intolerance. There are always other posters to ban and there are always other posters who should be banned.

Much better is to have the reverse approach. A minimalist approach to rules and enforcement.

Kill the obvious bots, trolls (genuine ones btw) and nobheads.

Let the posters sort everything else out by talking it away.

Baffles me that the knee jerk answer to intolerance seems to be more intolerance.

Anyway, intolerance is the next big thing so we are where we are.

Echo chamber engineering.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,924 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I'm a technophobe myself but even I know there's something fundamentally wrong with a former biggest internet forum in Ireland when something as simple as this is impossible to implement.

The forum was way easier to use before it was "upgraded" a couple of years back. Did that upgrade actually achieve anything of benefit to anyone besides the people that got paid to do it?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

And what if multiple posters want to open a new thread or threads and are deleted, what's your thinking then? It's easy to run with the crowd, always remember that others can and will have different perspectives.

+1 on the minimalist approach. Do no harm.

If you need to start a new thread to feel comfortable you already lost the argument, and the mods don't want a proliferation of mirror threads to deal with. Its totally unreasonable behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I wouldn't quite subscribe to minimalist intervention although in between the troll or idiot trying to make a fool of the thread, and a mod intervention I think in the absence of regular and timely moderation, posters shouldn’t be admonished for dealing with such trolls - in addition short but no appeal or PM bans should come into place - a lot can be achieved by telling a poster to take a day off from a thread - it’s simple, the poster will almost always know they e done wrong and will most likely accept the temp ban - the appeals process is too cumbersome and time consuming for all

• How about centre-leaning, there are people who can see things somewhat from either aspect without having to be “binary” like politically-fluid, to borrow part of a semantic?

I personally have never been on a decently moderated forum that doesn't merge threads on the same theme - it absolutely standard practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

There was a tone set many years ago with Gordon and the other admins that looked after Boards prison where they treated posters with contempt that was fine and amusing to an extent when the user base was thriving. Now some of the mods these days think they are Gordon with the smart alec reply’s and most posters can’t be bothered dealing with that stuff it’s just not worth the hassle in the long run.

That tone needs to change and a new balance needs to be found and used.

The lack of mods, C-mods and Admins also doesn’t do them any favours as they have to deal with more so it’s usually the same ones that end up dealing with a lot.

I said it earlier in this thread but all most users ask for is consistency at the don’t be a dick rule and when normal users perceive mods at being the dick they start to post less and less.

I wouldn’t want to be a mod it’s a thankless position well except for the thanks button one.

Regards,

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,818 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Great to get such insightful feedback from a poster who joined the site 3 hours ago.

Back to the topic of this thread it's stopping this behaviour that would help save the site.

---------------------------------------

Mod note: All opinions are welcome. I think it's clear this poster is not a brand new 3 hour old poster. Offer your own opinion without dismissing someone else's.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement