Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 out of 3 young adults living at home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Greyfox

We need to build loads of mid to high rise apartments. Things are that bad in Ireland that bedsits, caravans and cruise ships should be considered. Having a garden is an added bonus that's is not essential therefore building houses with a small garden should have a much lower priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Will0483

Nearly all Southern Europeans live quite happily in high rise apartments. However, this only works with excellent metro links and lots of nice parks and squares where you can escape the confines of your small living space.

The parks in effect become your garden. I know this first hand as I lived for 5 years in all three of the major Spanish cities.

Some of this is replicable for Dublin especially as foreigners would be quite happy to live in these apartments even if Irish people will always want a house and garden.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I suspect many people simply want somewhere to live and wouldn't be quite so picky.

Generally you will find the ones objecting to apartments and wanting houses instead are not the people looking to live in them, but the people already in the area who are blocking the development or apartments cause they don't want more people living near them. Especially not the dreaded "transient" population that is young adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Most people don’t just want somewhere to live, if that were the case, we would all just buy the cheapest shack we can find. Peoples preferences are subjective, some want a particular area, size, number of rooms, house with a garden etc. That is entirely understandable. Having lived in apartments in my 20’s, I couldn’t wait to get away from all the downsides of apartment living.

Good for you. There are countless numbers of people in their 20s and older who would kill to be able to rent or buy an apartment except they can't cause we aren't building enough of them. Vanishingly few people move directly from their parent's house to their own 3 bed house with garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,038 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

There are countless numbers of people in their 20s and older who would
    kill to be able to rent or buy an apartment except they can't cause we
    aren't building enough of them.

That's desperation, not choice. Most people, if they could choose their long term living arrangements wouldn't touch an apartment.

However, what we need if we are going to build higher, are apartments that are fit for living in long term and not more of the dog boxes that were thrown up during the celtic tiger period that existed just so some leech landlord could make a killing renting it out to people in a bind.

Relatively large apartments that are aimed at comfort for families, and not just there for 20/30 something transitory folk who aren't looking to hang around for more than a couple of years and who put up being in a confined space you couldn't swing a cat in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Just listened to McWilliams podcast, it's interesting that only rich people now can afford to purchase the poky homes originally built to house the poor people of the 19th century.

The wealthy drone class (and funds) who salt money away on property have it all sewn up, leaving young workers to pay through the nose, or leave.

By rich people, are you referring to those young people now employed by MNCs/high paying sectors? These are now normal people, they just chose higher paying careers so can outbid those in lower pay jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭donaghs

Ireland has the 3rd fastest rate of population growth in all of Europe. The fact that it’s rarely mentioned in these debates,I.e the demand factor (not just supply analysis), shows how dishonest some of these conversations are.

From a relatively stable fluctuation (independent Ireland) between 3 and 3.5 million up to 1990, the population has been shooting up in the last 30 years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_countries_by_population_growth_rate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

You see this is a good example of misinformation, the “dog boxes” are in reality not anything of the sort and if you compare standard to Europe, Ireland is a lot bigger and during the Celtic tiger the apartment size was even bigger then it is potentially now

Most of the comment I see form people, maybe not in this case, have never stood or lived in an apartment and just came to this opinion based on pub chat.

I would choose myself to live in a 10 bedroom house with each room en-suite in a nice countryside location, as I can’t afford that is it desperation?
    With a rapidly increasing population the answer is apartment, as posted above the people rejecting and complaining about apartments will never live in them and never will step foot in one of them in all probability.

The people that actually want to buy and live in them are been blocked by the people above

excellent example of clonliff road apartments, blocked my Mary Lou living in a lovely house and some lady in Foxrock living in a lovely house. Never mind all the doctors/nurses/student who are desperate for that accommodation, sure why would Mary Lou give a s**t ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,038 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

"Misinformation" my arse. 🙄

There were tons of mickey mouse apartments thrown up in Dublin during the celtic tiger years & up to the crash that were and still are unfit for living in long term, especially with a family.

https://www.independent.ie/life/home-garden/homes/size-matters-at-least-when-it-comes-to-living-space/26316497.html

The average apartment floor space in Ireland is among the smallest of any country in Europe.

That kind of thing should be avoided if we're going to build upwards and expect people to live in apartments long term.

It is not desperation. Young people almost universally do not want to move out of their parent's home directly into a home in a suburbs an hour commute away from town centres. Most people also don't move into their long term living arrangement straight away and those people need somewhere to live too!

There aren't enough of any of these things. We need smaller apartments for young people, we need large apartments for families and we need high density homes further out for those that want them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Dont know where he is finding these one bed apartments under 40 sq ft :)

When he mentions 40 sq ft and 30 sq ft apartment sizes in Ireland im not sure the author is the right person for the job of writing this article :)

The inside of my car is around 40 sq ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I think you may be forgetting that we have many young people who are not employed by MNCs/high paying sectors and who are frozen out of employment opportunities in the bigger cities.

I go back to the 1980s/90s when as a young couple, we had no trouble at all in getting reasonably priced accommodations in and around Dublin. No queues to view, you just looked up ads in the evening paper etc. Could save whilst renting and so on.

Our children are now of similar age and frozen out of that possibility. This will be seen in time as a period of very considerable social change in Ireland and for all sorts of wrong reasons I believe. We had children in our early 30s. They may never.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭victor8600

"We need more apartments" — yes, it would make sense if apartments could be built significantly cheaper than a terraced house. Apartments that are somewhat cheaper than houses are 1-bed properties. Why do people buy these 1 bed apartments? Do they try to live with a minimum of possessions and have less area to clean? Not really, as the article says

"This [price increase] in turn is causing a new focus and demand for one-bedroom apartments from couples and singles priced out of the two-bed units. One beds are now [2023] changing hands for €260,000 on average, up €10k on a year ago."

I understand the rationale of a young person moving into their own single-bed apartment, closer to a city centre and good transport links, but what salary does this young person need to get a mortgage of €260,000? The answer is approximately €60K.

I understand the rationale of a young person moving into their own single-bed apartment, closer to a city centre and good transport links, but what salary does this young person need to get a mortgage of €260,000? The answer is approximately €60K.

Why would they be getting a mortgage?

The rather obvious benefit of apartments over terraced housing is the significantly higher density. We simply to not have the room to build nothing but houses.

I do appreciate that, my point being, these young people in well paying jobs are now the people who can afford to pay more, they are not rich people, they just have better paying jobs and therefore can borrow more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I understand your point. Also these high paid people are coupling up to buy too. So you have single people on normal wages competing not only with couples on high wages, but also REITs, Charities, Councils and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I Can understand people with kids wanting a house with a garden but I can't see it being an issue for others.

The less housing we have the higher the prices will be and more adults who have no choice but to live at home.

I would imagine a large majority of people would be delighted to have an apartment and independence.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

You did say that it's higher, so it's not normal amounts of wealth. If you need to be in a high paying job to afford something, then that is unaffordable to the rest of the population. That's the definition of rich. Maybe not mega rich like CEO's but still rich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Demonique

Im living at home because I'm autistic and on disability allowance, it can be stressful because my father can be very stubborn (for example, I bought a vegepod second hand and I want the cover down to prevent cats getting in and using it as a toilet, which would make everything growing in it inedible, he thinks it should be up to allow it to dry out, its caused arguments between us)

While it can be very stressful at times, Im not good at cleaning and cooking due to executive dysfunction, its not the cooking and cleaning itself, its the starting to cook and clean, once I start something I can complete it but its the drive to start that I have a problem with, so I dont know if I could keep a home on my own

Even though the food isnt my favourite, its decent enough for the most part and I appreciate not having to cook

Oh and they dont have a problem with me having 12 snakes and a gecko

No it isn’t, these higher paying jobs are no longer the exception, the whole fintech industry provides for a lot of well paid opportunities to earn more, and therefore pay more, not just in cities, due to remote working. These people are not rich, they are now able to afford homes which are not associated with being rich, they are just normal homes. They are not rich people, they are just better paid, and with the proliferation of those jobs, they are rapidly becoming just normal wage earners. I doubt a couple earning 80k each, able to afford to buy a €500k house consider themselves rich people.

Investors, investment funds; parasitically hoovering up everything, councils snapping up houses, bank of mom and pop cash buyers gazumping "normal" middle class working people, the nurses, guards, teachers...the people who keep this country from collapsing, not the ones creating wealth for MNCs to be largely spirited offshore.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,152 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ah the "I am alright Jack fook the rest of ya" mentality.

You make it sound like the ones that don't work for the glossy MNCs or in the high paying sectors are somehow stupid and maybe lazy to have chosen another career.

Hell maybe they did chose the same career, but weren't lucky enough to have landed one of those plush high paying roles, often with the flashy MNCs.

The laugh now is a lot of the roles with the flashy MNCs is no longer enough to buy or get adequate accommodation.

Hell look how the government only appear to get concerned when the likes of Google or Meta raise this topic and say it is getting too expensive for their workers.

Shure it was alright when it was Mick and Helen who worked down the road in the small Irish SME or were working as nurses or Gardai, but god forbid it would be someone working for the nice MNCs who was finding it difficult to get accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

And even in tech firms, although there's a lot of people who are "higher" earners, there's a lot that aren't.

Wow, that’s a broad statement.

Without those investment funds forward funding developments, investors investing in rental properties and LA buying houses to home those unable to afford homes, ironically, there would be a lot more people living with mom and dad. You’ll have to go back through the property thread but I think the figure was around 16billion in trickledown economic benefit in Ireland from MNCs, so don’t be all high and mighty, without their wages and taxes, Ireland would be a lot poorer.

That’s not what I said, you’ve just made up that pile of rubbish to suit your own narrative.

That's quite true. Also there's the people who are supposed to service these swanky offices: security, cleaners, maintenance, catering, where are they supposed to live?

Oh jeez, oh wow, oh thank you very very much investors and vulture funds for making this country soooooo much more affordable to live in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,152 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

No, but it is what you implied.

"they just chose higher paying careers" meaning the rest of people are idiots for not doing so.

Let me guess you also subscribe to mindset that Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, Bill Gates deserve the billions because after all they work a billion times harder and are a billions time smarter than the rest of us.

I learned a long time ago a lot in life depends on luck and happenstance.

Advertisement