Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 out of 3 young adults living at home

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Asylum seekers who end up in Ireland by and large choose to be here. They usually have to pass through multiple safe countries to get here. Some come from another countries where they have already claimed asylum and are being housed. So they're more than likely doing their research and choosing here.

And then they rock up here in the middle of a housing crisis and expect to be accommodated. Those people deserve to be held accountable for their part in making a bad situation worse.

Migration is increasing demand on housing to an unsustainable level. While it's not the only factor, it needs to be acknowledged as playing a significant factor in the demand side.

And while there are plenty of issues on the supply side, ignoring a bid one on the demand side is the real stupidity here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,837 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The older/ wealthier demographic will vote in the interests of their family and that includes the younger generation. And once you lose the votes of the older/ wealthier demographic, parties are in trouble.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,168 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We're going to have to agree to disagree there. I think there'll be plenty of pulling up the ladder. Always has been.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Gary_dunne

What if like most who work in Dublin city centre you don't have access to parking? It's a 2 hr 30 min journey with no traffic by public transport if it's available and reliable. Just saying look there's cheap houses in ruaral areas is not a valid solution or even an option for most.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,659 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I was only mentioning Tipp because people were talking about living in mobile homes.

But Dublin, yeah. Value available. Nearly 500 properties for sale at the moment €300k or below.

https://www.daft.ie/property-for-sale/dublin?salePrice_from=225000&salePrice_to=300000

Lets say its a first time buyer couple. They would need to save 15k each for a deposit, and/or they could avail of the first time buyers scheme. Can get a mortgage 4 times their salary so on the average industrial wage (45k ish I think?) they could borrow nearly 400k between them.

I've posted in this thread before - I know people who "can't afford to buy" who live rent free with their folks, have healthy enough coke habits, don't save and go on 3-4 holidays a year and are out every weekend. They cant wait for the Electric Picnic! Already went out and bought a new €500 tent.

• Advertisement

Asking price does not equal sale price. House in Poppintree listed for 375k sold for 480k and this is hardly the most desirable area. This is fairly standard in Dublin now with bidding wars.

A couple on 90k will get a max mortgage offer of 360k, lets say they've 40k saved there budget is about 390 when you take away stamp duty, legal fees etc. There are no new builds near this price so they can't avail of the HTB, first home scheme is a possibility but having buyers giving 20% equity in their home is hardly a viable long term solution.

I understand there are some people like that but that's a very tired generalisation of the young of today, too many coffees and avocado on toast.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There is zero evidence for this. There is plenty of evidence for these people objecting to any development to house younger people that so much as might potentially in the future ever so slightly inconvenience them. Unfortunately those who don't get to live somewhere due to frozen development don't get to vote in that area.

Great value out there for 390k. Especially for a first home.

Nearly 500 properties in Dublin in and around that price.

https://www.daft.ie/property-for-sale/dublin?terms=&adState=published&salePrice_from=300000&salePrice_to=375000

Here you go, 2 bed penthouse for 300k on the Luas.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/apartment-apartment-22-oak-house-carrickmines-dublin-18/5705789

Or this, etc etc

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/apartment-apartment-23-oak-house-carrickmines-dublin-18/5654666

Im not saying buying is easy mind you. Its a bit of a shambles but the idea that theres nothing out there is a myth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Greyfox

That's just an excuse. A politician should not be allowed to support someone who has a stupid objection.

If they sold for the price there would be, as I showed earlier on in Poppintree it went for 105k over asking, majority are going for 70/80k over the asking prices. Would you be willing to spend close to 390k on a 2 bed apartment in Carrickmines, that's hardly "value". Even calling it a 2 bed is a bit misleading as the second bedroom has a tiny single bed in it and there isn't the space for a double that would allow the room to still be functional. So it's really a one double room with an office apartment that bidding starts at 360k.

You are the only person in Ireland that thinks there's good value in the property market in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yeah. "Value" is certainly not the word I would attach to anything to do with Ireland's housing circumstances, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭growleaves

There are two big aspects to the housing crisis.

One aspect is the supply shock created by a combination of market ideology, overreaction to the previous glut of house-building, NIMBYs 4life, refusal to build upwards, allowing corporations to bulk-buy housing stock etc., etc. (And arguably some features of over-regulation and any other thing which unreasonably impedes supply.)

The other aspect of it is artifically increasing the demand-side by allowing, facilitating and quashing political opposition to mass inward migrations which causes increases of the population at a rapid rate.

There is no logical, rational, dispassionate reason to say that the second aspect of it is non-operative.

When you scratch below the surface you soon find that the person who says immigration has no effects on housing actually has strictly separate, unrelated concerns about xenophobia, populist demagoguery, and (what they believe is) race-based prejudice - but these concerns have nothing to do with supply and demand economic factors.

Post edited by growleaves on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

There are 1.5m more people currently living in this country compared to 2000, a virtually complete shutdown in building for 6 years, and many more high paying jobs. You seem to have omitted those very important contributors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭growleaves

But I am saying, what many people gloss over, that the demand-side has increased since 2000 through population increases. I was just giving an outline.

This is the part of it that many people want to pretend is neither nor there.

Sorry, yes, I agree with you, the strength of the fintech/pharma sectors and young people’s changing choices in careers mean that the numbers of people leaving the country has dropped. Despite some posters trying to push an agenda that young people are now leaving because of housing, most if not all of my kids friends (all in their 20s/early 30s) are going to Canada/Oz/US/UK for life experience, they don’t want to be tied down by mortgages, they want to enjoy themselves.

But are they coming back? Neighbour here of ours and 3 out of 4 went to Aus. One has come back. And significant disincentives to returning..

And compelling reasons to stay. If I was in my 20s again, I would spend a couple of years with the sun on my back, the last thing I would be thinking of is a mortgage in the rain. Years ago people emigrated to Australia and came home once in a blue moon, my son’s friends come home a couple of times a year, some recently came home for a thirteenth birthday party.

These three left 10 years ago. One has come back, now has children and hopes to rear them here. Currently looking for house and living at home. The other two are gone for good as far as I know.

Another neighbour has three children, two living in Ireland, one settled in London.

Then again my wife's family, different generation has 3 living abroad and just her here.

I know people who paid 650k for terraced townhouses with no driveway and tiny gardens halfway up the mountains 20 years ago. Its all relative.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Ireland's disastrous approach to home ownership has been going on since the celtic tiger years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I came back after emigrating 3 times. I dont know too many p[people who emigrated and stayed emigrated. Maybe 2 of my friends. They may yet come back. But i think almost all of us tried emigrating more than once and ended up back home. Speaking to my Dad about it he said that there were only a very few years out of the last 50 or 60 years where young Irish people didnt need to emigrate to "find themselves". He said back before the 90s it was the boat, and you were unlikely to see the people you said goodbye to, even just going to England, for many years after that. After the 90s people would always be popping back for a visit after emigrating.

Advertisement