Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

SEAI Fuel Cost Comparison posters at petrol stations

Options
  • 18-03-2024 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭

Petrol stations with three or more fuel pumps have been told they must start displaying a sign showing the difference in their prices compared with the electric alternative within weeks.

*Blended rate of charging - 90% at home (night rate) and 10% public (fast charge)

Needless to say petrol stations without EV chargers are not happy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭JVince

I see the idea, but frankly it should be the seai doing a weekly press release and advert rather than waste retailers time with something almost all people will ignore.

Retailers have enough crap to do already without yet another "do it or we screw you" obligation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

So much wrong with this.....

I'm fully EV committed but I think this is an absolutely stupid idea, I see what they're trying to achieve but it's so variable and unrepresentative it's ridiculous. Even the attempt at putting C segment in there is a joke, nearly all EVs are SUV types.

I see some merit in comparing prices of purchasing different fuels in that particular station but I own 2 EVs where one uses at least 50% more electricity than another and I don't have night rate or even a home charger. I do have a work charger I don't personally pay for but that's a special case.

So I don't have access to those low night rates, and either do many others. Plus it increases the cost of cooking your dinner in the evening, or working from home.

And is it a physical poster or what is it? Do they change every time petrol, diesel and electricity changes price?

It's too heavily weighted towards best case EV costs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭jack of all

Another way to rub the noses in it of those motorists who can't afford to make the change yet. The SEAI should also consider compelling those who live in A rated homes to put up a placard to let everyone know how little it costs to heat compared to the rest of the housing stock!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,025 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Putting this stuff up while reducing grants is peak "It's not us, it's you".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Silly advertising.

It’s pointless and will never be accurate.

It could cost me €2 or €10 to travel 100km depending on where i charged.

The tin foil hat brigade will be on spouting about it now with at least one social media dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,270 ✭✭✭✭ted1

nothing Wrong with reducing grants. Prices have fallen significantly.

Grants should be gone. Artificially inflating prices for the manufacturers. Remove them and make the manufacturers fight for better prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I think it's a great idea personally, it'll finally put to bed the idea that EVs are more expensive to run than petrol cars

For those fuel stations that aren't happy about displaying it, maybe they could pull the finger out and install some EV chargers

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Worst idea ever. For a filling station that doesn't sell CNG, LPG and a 9:1 blend of night rate:fast charging electricity - it's literally none of their business.

SEAI should buy some advertising or be proactive some other way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

If they'd used SUVs then the fuel prices would have gone up as well. The important thing isn't the costs themselves so much as the ratio of the difference.

As long as they used the same basis of comparison between vehicles and fuel types then it's fair comparison

To flip it another way, there was a pretty notorious study years ago that showed EVs were more polluting than petrol cars. Turned out they compared a Model X to something like a Honda Jazz, assumed the electricity was generated using something like 100% coal and didn't take the lifecycle emissions of the petrol into account

The point being that a group with an agenda (funnily enough, the study was supported by the oil industry) can manipulate statistics to suit their needs

The comparison here is based on an EU standard for comparing fuel types. While it isn't perfect, it's a generally fair comparison

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭teediddlyeye

I can see where they're coming from and I like the idea, the amount of people that think their 55mpg diesel is just as cheap to run as night rate changing. 🤣

Wrong way to go about it though. Are they gonna change the sign every quarter?

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Registered Users Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Presumably, they'll also be mandating signs at charging points telling people how little (if anything) they're saving compared to fuelling a combustion vehicle

https://esb.ie/what-we-do/ecars/price-plans

64.7 cent per kWh for a fast charge. If we assume 16 kWh/100 km, that's over 10 euros which is more than their estimated cost for a diesel car.

I also look forward to sellers of EVs being fined for not advertising how much cheaper a petrol Dacia Sandero is and how much longer its range is.

To be fair, they've included 10% public charging in their pricing. Whether that's an accurate percentage or not is another argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭jonnygee

If I was a filling station owner I would put a second sign up under the seai one in the same font and colour but showing the cost of driving 100kms after charging at a public charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Even if it is an accurate percentage, home charging rates are not available at public charging stations. Let's say you are the operator of the Texaco in Ballinalack, Co. Westmeath. I've picked this station as I know there is an Ecars fast charger on site. Why should you be mandated to advertise that it costs 3.18 euros to run an EV for 100 km when it would actually cost ~10 euros using the charger that is less than 50 metres from your pumps.

I get what you're saying and the fact that it's compulsory is very problematic imo. But purely on an informational basis, it's not wrong. Very few people charge their EVs solely on the public network. The small print that states that it's a mix should be a lot more prominent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭JVince

In fairness the grants simply made prices stay high and gave motor dealers and distributors huge margins.

Grant came off and prices magically dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭elperello

From a business point of view it seems a bit strange to make an outlet advertise the benefits of something they don't sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

What a load of nanny state shite! (Four time EV owner here).

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tlaavtech

Advertise a cost of fuelling at a garage that you actually pay significantly more for at the same location. Makes no sense.

I like the idea of promoting the cost savings of electric but this is not the way.

I save €10/100km in my i3 compared to my old Insignia. That's a really stark stat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Now I've had a few hours to digest this, had it been written into law?

What's to stop a petrol station refusing to do it or also putting up anti EV posters around the place?

I just can't see this happening or being workable

No mention of where the posters will have to be put, no mention of how often they need to be updated

Loads of easy ways out of this as far as I can tell now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

Unless it's a comparison of forecourt cost for petrol or diesel versus forecourt prices for EV then it makes no sense. It's completely misleading for the consumer- akin to forcing restaurants to list on the menu the cost of the food if you bought it in a supermarket.

I do feel SEAI could use this to help force down the price of charging at public chargers if they used real life forecourt charging costs- if the poster showed clearly the real cost of forecourt charing per 100km versus the cost of forecourt petrol or diesel per 100km, it could have the potential result of forcing retailers to get more competitive with public charger rates.

SEAI are also in dream land using a 10% number to represent charging at public chargers- their own website states its already 20%, and we know that most early EV buyers are people who can install a home charger. They also do not include any charing losses which are typically 10% to 15%.

If EV sales are to increase in market share to the level SEAI want, public charging could potentially be needed for 30% to 50% of EV charging, and will have to be affordable. People need public charger for many reasons - travelling long distances beyond the range of their car, for the 30% of people renting houses where landlords might not want to entertain charger installation works, apartment dwellers and houses without private parking for whom installing a home charger is not possible etc. I think its clear also that the environmental impact of large battery ev's needs to be assessed- we have ended up with typical family cars weighing 2200kg wearing down roads and adding tyre pollution where small ev's with range big enough for daily driving coupled with competitive decent public charging is a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,875 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you have a tank at home you can get cheaper petrol or diesel but very few people have tanks so they rely on public fuel stations. There are so many different tariffs and discounts available for domestic electricity someone who is proactive with swapping providers every 12 months could be paying substantially less than someone who hasn't changed in 3 years, how does the chart cover that?

When I'm on the road I'd rather know how much a kW will cost me at station A vs station B. Or when there is 2 supplier's at a station how much I'm paying at each. Plugshare isn't always right and it's dangerous to be interacting with your phone or car map when driving to find out how much it'll cost you to charge.

Have EV charging stations advertise their price and speed instead of some BS formula that isn't relevant if you are using a public charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

Based on SEAI own figures if you pay 54c/kWh or more Diesel is cheaper. So with the likes of Apple green branded chargers at 73c/kWh a full table would list their EV "fuel" as most expensive option for those with say a PHEV who could pick electric or non electric fuels.

If they insist on this table then EV "pumps" should have to display actual prices with a comparison table. c/L equivalent would be an easier metric to start comparisons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

Follow link to seai website. It lists references to the law, poster size etc etc.

Advertisement