Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increase in road deaths - questions need to be asked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

While I don't disagree with you about the root cause, I will point out that phone use at the wheel is not limited to young drivers or male drivers. It's not unusual to see older drivers, male and female, with a phone in their hand or at their ear while driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Another awful day on the roads today with a woman and two girls killed, presumably mother and daughters. Has anyone seen the pictures that are up on the Independent. Looks like the truck was on the wrong side of the road. Reminds me of a few years ago, I was just coming out of Ennistymon in Clare, and a truck that was in front of me just swerved onto the wrong side of the road. He crashed into a wall and his load started to wobble, he somehow managed to get control of his truck. If someone was coming at that exact moment he would have been straight into them. Given his speed I firmly believe it would have been a fatal crash.

I kept beeping him until he pulled over in order to jar him. I asked him was he on his phone. He said no. There is no other explanation, you don't just lose control of a vehicle like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

He could just have fallen asleep. The technology now exists to detect whether your eyes are on the road and it is especially important to fit this in HGVs. Two modern cars crashing might not lead to fatalities owing to crumple zones, airbags etc, but a HGV hitting a car is almost always fatal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Not much point speculating on the cause of the accident - it's not fair on any of the parties involved when the facts aren't known. There's plenty of reasons why the truck would be in the position that it is that wouldnt necessarily be the direct fault of the truck driver.

Absolute tragic stuff - that streatch of 5-10 k of road has seen at least 5 people killed in the past few months.

It's never the roads fault but a lot for generally the same local emergency services to deal with in a relatively short space of time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,341 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's one thing i know and it's not to judge the inputs to an RTC based on where the vehicles are after it. the placement of the truck could be a result of evasive action by the driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I had a situation yesterday, walking from Costa Coffee over to Dunnes Stores in a large car park and was beeped at as I crossed the road. A lady in a big SUV was exiting the car park at speed and I had the cheek to cross over without running.

Btw car parks can be quite large in some places with everyone from children to elderly people and those with disabilities using them. It should certainly not be considered a car is king area.

Drive cautiously in car parks would be my advice and pedestrians need to be mindful that there are drivers with the same belief as yourself using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,601 ✭✭✭creedp

Drive cautiously in car parks would be my advice and pedestrians need to be mindful that it is a car park and by default cars will be moving about.

Slight amendment to your last paragraph as you know a car park is not a playground. Pedestrians have responsibilities also not something the anti car brigade care to accept

Getting beeped in a car park might shock me into dropping my keys and taking a while to pick them back up, maybe noticing an open shoelace while I'm down there. They'll think twice about beeping in future.

On the broader issue, we're now up to 54 deaths, 12 up on same period last year.

One of those deaths is a cyclist, so the RSA focus today's appeal on telling cyclists to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,601 ✭✭✭creedp

Ye 2 guy/gals should get together for a tomatoe juice or two and hatch some more really devious plans. Take as long as you like as at least ye'll be off the public thoroughfare for a while and not pestering people

• Registered Users Posts: 23,394 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Agree, it is all ages. You can actually see that they are not looking at the road at all

• Advertisement

You must have missed the part on my last paragraph where I said pedestrians need to be mindful too as there are drivers like yourself about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Driving standards in this country are appallingly bad.

Our driving test is pathetic...reversing around a corner is on the test but motorway driving isn't.

Once you get your licence there is no further checks on your driving ability or standards, ever.

Why are we surprised at the volume of road deaths in this country, when we accept such a low standard of driving skills?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Motorway driving is clearly not on the driving test because learner drivers are not allowed to drive on motorways. It's probably the lesser of two evils:

• allow learner drivers onto motorways, so as long as they had a fully-licenced driver with them, they could actually legally drive on a motorway within five minutes of getting a learners permit?
    • or prohibit them from driving on it until they've passed the test, so that while they may be driving unaccompanied the first time they venture onto a motorway, they've at least shown enough road sense and theoretical knowledge to demonstrate that they're capable of driving by themselves?

On your other point - does any country in the world actually require people to do regular repeat driving tests or checks once they first qualify for a full licence? I don't think myself, but I'll happily stand corrected if proven wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Learner drivers should be allowed on Motorways with a driving instructor as part of their pre-test lessons, but not otherwise until they pass their test which should have Motorway driving as part of it. It might be a bit difficult logistically, but it should be part of learning and getting tested. The driving test at present is a farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

People should absolutely be required to do a rules of the road test each time they renew a licence. A road test might be harder to organise, as we cannot seem to give timely tests now, but experienced drivers usually can control the car but choose not to drive well.In this day and age surely it is possible to have driving simulators and people could be asked to do something on one, then given a real test if they were in any way dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Just because others don't do it doesn't mean we shouldn't. What is the actual point of a drivers licence renewal? Why do they expire after 10 years. I got my licence at age 18, and will never again be tested on my driving skills or knowledge in my life.

CPD exists in the workplace to keep professionals up to date with new skills and developments, similar should exist for motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

How do you manage putting motorways on a driving test in the vast parts of the country nowhere near a motorway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭mulbot

The amount of people I see on phones scrolling through FB etc is shocking, we've watched it from a vantage point (large van) on the Naas road for years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Another very valid point. Somebody from Carndonagh in Co. Donegal would have a round trip of between six and seven hours, and largely through a different jurisdiction, to reach their "closest" motorway either around Kells or Dundalk for each driving lesson and their test.

Somebody in Belmullet in Co. Mayo would have a round trip of about four hours to reach the "closest" of the M17 south of Tuam.

Also, I note nobody has given a straight answer to my question about whether any other country mandates regular repeat driving tests. Closest there's been to it is somebody saying "just because nobody else does it ......."

• Advertisement

No other country had a workplace smoking ban before Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭teediddlyeye

Noticed an illuminated sign this morning on the N80 between Stradbally and Athy "Dangerous Junction Ahead".

Just thought it was very poor wording, like the responsibility for any incident is shifted away from the driver to the "Dangerous Junction".

Small thing I know but I just think it encourages complacency with bad driving and increasing fatalities.

"Slow, Junction Ahead" would be more appropriate.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Is that not similar to "accident blackspot " signs that have been around for donkeys....gives warning to pay the attention you should have been paying in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Looks like the government is doing a public consultation on the Road Safety Authority. Good opportunity to get those rants off your chest https://www.gov.ie/en/consultation/bd619-call-for-submissions-review-of-road-safety-authority/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

The lack of motorway driving is a bit of a red herring, the glaring failure of the test is that it doesn't cover really any road above 50km/h really.

60% of road deaths occur on Regional (R) roads, where the speed limit it often 80km/h, and people are just flat out not taught how to handle a car or assess hazards properly.

I notice the section between Emyvale in Monaghan and Monaghan Town is max speed of 80Km. There must have been a few accidents on that stretch of road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Or that should have the road layout redesigned to reduce the hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Yeah Right

....so the RSA focus today's appeal on telling cyclists to be good.

Where do they do that? They're telling everyone who's a road user to be aware of cyclists and to share the road safely. Nowhere do they tell cyclists to be good, from what I can see?

• Advertisement

This seems to be the opposite problem to how people in Carndonagh or Belmullet would have to drive for hours to have a lesson or take a test involving a motorway.

The driving test routes in Gorey (Co. Wexford), for example, includes a stretch of the 100 km/h "old N11" that leads out of the town towards Arklow. You're expected to show that you can maintain speed and drive safely at between 95 and 100 km/h. I'd expect that similar applies in most or all other test centres that are not in cities, where you've only to drive a few minutes out of town before coming to such a road.

However, finding a similar stretch of road for people taking their test at a Dublin test centre to drive on would probably involve them driving for an hour or more through city traffic just to get there in the first place. And so yes, they probably spend their entire test on 50 km/h roads, maybe soon becoming 30 km/h, and are thus never tested on their ability to drive at higher speeds on open roads at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement