Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increase in road deaths - questions need to be asked

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I do not get the hump. I just think it is funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The issue isn't around the sensibility or otherwise of the advice. The issue is around the focus, or more specifically, the lack of focus on the actual causes of road deaths and injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Precisely. As @kirving first pointed out, some cyclists are so blinded by disdain for the RSA in general that even when good advice like "cyclists should make sure their brakes and lights are in good working order" is offered, they take offence at it.

Thank you for agreeing with us.

Joe Duffy makes regular runs out to Donabate so got the road renamed. It’s alleged to be haunted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

In Attempting to cross our town to get to Tesco, 5 mins driving tops, I came across so many near misses to me from others Im beginning to wonder if there's a hit out on me.

The quality of driving, and I use the word quality loosely, is abysmal.

No attention. No regard for others. Pedestrians, what the hell are those!!speed limits. A joke. It's a case of seeing how bloody fast they can go.

Drivers overtaking parked cars driving right over on the other side of the road regardless of the incoming cars.

Sure what the hell, let them brake or hit the kerb. These nastards don't care

Theres no answer to any of it.

• Advertisement

what they could do is place soft dummies wearing his viz and not wearing high viz, see how many of either cohort are struck. Only trouble is they could be very distracting.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There is nothing wrong with them offeribg advice.

However, by them posting the advice to cyclists as an immediate reply to their tweet advising drivers to not hit cyclists diverts the focus of the message away from the important message and may actually reinforce the incorrect view held by some that cyclists are a danger on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

In last couple of days:

Young lad in a black golf absolutely lifting around a bend, well over the white line, I had to brake suddenly to avoid this fúckwit slamming into me.

Scooter user at night, middle of road, in typical all over black ninja garb with a front light about as powerful as a penny candle. Practically invisible.

I never find cyclists and issue just tend to give them plenty of space or time. I loved cycling myself on time but just couldn't deal with the headwreck drivers out there these days.

Have to admire the decent cyclists who do. I realise some are a pain but most aren't.

Drivers do carry serious responsibility and should be hauled up and made to be responsible for vehicle drivers or else taken off road.

Policing just isn't doing it. Courts just aren't doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I think that eyesight is not now tested until 75. Testing could be largely automated. Have a machine, have people type the letters into a keypad and only refer those with an issue to a person. Likewise you could do a rules of the road test on a machine.

Gardai should absolutely scrutinise banned person, observe if there is a car at their house and stop that car if a person resembling the banner driver is at the wheel.

In my opinion, average speed cameras are not helpful on national roads, the whole point is that you should slow down and speed up according to the conditions and concentration on the average speed is actually unhelpful. Cameras observing ANPR and tailgating etc would help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

What I find bizarre in 2024 is the number of drivers you see with the phone up to their ears. Theres numerous ways to talk on the phone these days without having it stuck to your ear.

That and the number of people texting or reading their phone while driving. Some people seem to drive with the phone in their hand.

Also people passing cyclists, completely oblivious to oncoming traffic.

Surprised there aren't more fatal crashes.

Ok 9 cyclists deaths is 9 too many but in relation to the amount of cyclists on all our roads. That is a very small %.

Especially when you consider the behaviour of some in cities for example.

As I said already. I live in a.small town with not many cyclists so overall have little experience with the crappy ones.

But car/van drivers are a big issue.

'soccer moms' in their crossovers with little Johnnie in the back, not necessarily strapped in, and there she is on the phone really pisses me off.

I can only imagine the wailing when the ahit hits the fan and little Johnnie is no more.

Do they not think.

Are the rules of the road for others and not these arrogant ignorant yokes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The point of the Av Speed cameras with ANPR is to catch the habitual speeder who tends to drive long distance at an average speed above the speed limit. Checking them at points with Gosafe wagons is pointless, but check their speed over long distance, and they will eventually learn to observe the speed limit. Check their time when they join, and at every junction till they leave. If they are above the speed limit at any point, they get a ticket, plus one if their NCT, Motor Tax, or ins is out.

Some N roads have very dangerous sections, as we have seen recently, and they would warrant the same approach.

The French do this on their toll roads. Arrive too soon at the other end and - well - whatever they do to speeders.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭creedp

Where is that 5 minute drive so I can avoid it. Sure around me I see examples of poor driving but nothing on that scale

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Water2626262

There needs to be zero tolerance on phones. If you had a camera on the m50 and played it back you could probably get over 1,000 convictions by 8am.

Also how are phone holders on the dash legal? Most of them seem to be attached to windscreens and the phone is always on. Should be illegal to have any sort of item blocking the windscreen.

It’s a tough issue but there is zero analysis on all these recent crashes. Very sensitive topic but I can’t stand the blame on the road in the aftermath of these. It wasn’t the road that killed them. Ireland still has a small town mentality. Not saying it should be like the USA where cop cams and mugshots are instantly released but there needs to be a balance. Wasn’t there a backlash a few years back when a man who lost his wife and daughter to a feckless driver did some press engagements. Was deemed to be unfair on the driver who caused the crash. People might drive a bit more considerately if they realised the harsh consequences if they caused fatalities.

Once again, it's not 'taking offence at good advice'. It's getting more than mildly pis$$ed off at their absolute failure to do their job, at their obvious double standards, at their windscreen view of the world.

If you go to the emergency dept with an amputated limb, and the doctor stands back and gives you bit of a lecture about the extra weight that you're carrying around the belly, are you going to say;

1. Fair enough doc, I'll be laying off the pies in future. Or,
    2. Doc, this really isn't the time, can you stop the bleeding first then maybe we can talk about my weight.

There's nothing wrong with the doc's advice about weight loss as such, but it's the wrong time to be focusing on it, given the bigger picture.

This is what's happening here. The RSA is focusing on the absolute wrong issue at the wrong time.

There are no 'anti hiviz' groups.

There are people and groups who get seriously pi$$ed at the RSA's failure to do their job, at their spending of €5 million with their Mayo neighbours to cover every human in the country in hiviz.

They say it's all about being seen, but really, it's about being seen to do something.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Who does the RSA advice/advertising on social media reach, though? Every organisation of any size has a social media manager these days, but what is the point in tweeting out 'check your brakes' when anyone who gets on a bike will very quickly realise if their brakes aren't working correctly (and whether they subsequently do anything about it will not be determined by them having seen an RSA ad).

It'd be great to know how many injuries sustained as a result of mechanical failure, but obviously that data is not tracked in any form.

In short, whatever the RSA is doing on social media etc. is an attempt to be seen to be doing something, even if that has no discernible effect. Better to be seen to be doing something of no use, than doing nothing, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

However the "old" ad with the guy looking at his phone is probably more useful than the ridiculous current singalong one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I did a market research survey on whether I'd seen or heard the Vision Zero ads, so they are actively checking the reach.

• Advertisement

What do ye suggest that the RSA do then? Lots of "someone should do something". What is that something?

The RSA arent guards, no ones afraid of them, they can't fine or arrest anyone, if people wilfilly ignore advice and think they know better (which is what's happening anyway) well that's on them.

1. Focus on driver behaviour
    2. Call out the poor performance by Gardai on enforcement.
    3. Open the pedestrian gate to their offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭MarkN

75 year olds are not the issue here.

It is inexperience, phone and drug use and excessive inappropriate speed.

I don’t believe red lights are a big issue when it comes to national roads deaths etc but it is a chronic problem that is getting worse, HGV drivers, Dublin Bus drivers, nobody is willing to stop for a red anymore and because your chance of encountering a Garda is slim to none, nobody is afraid.

1. Focus on everyone's behaviour you mean? Not give carte blanche to non drivers to do whatever they feel like.
    2. Not really their job but ok. Don't you mean call out the government who actually hold the purse strings?? Either way, I'm not sure they will take any more notice than the public do.
    3. No idea what you mean. Hardly a life or death situation, probably your minor personal moan.

1. No, I mean focus on driver behaviour. Have you been following the discussion?
    2. It is really their job. They're often asked by journalists if they're happy with the resources allocated by Gardai, and they give some vague BS response.
    3. They don't have much credibility on advising walkers and cyclists when they are designed to be car bound.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Whatever they do, it needs to be more than ads in this age. So many people don't really see ads any more. Be it watching stuff on ad-less streaming or recorded and skipping the ads.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Is there any evidence that adverts have actually resulted in improved driving behaviour?

Fairly impossible to prove - does any improved driving behaviour result from ads or Garda enforcement or politician appeals or other?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement