Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increase in road deaths - questions need to be asked

Options
  • 21-02-2024 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭

There seems to be an awful amount of road deaths since the new year especially among the younger road users. What needs to be done? It seems that speed is still a huge issue and that young drivers especially young men have not grasped the dangers of speeding. The crash in Carlow where 3 young people died was because of speed, there's no point sugar coating it. Do young men need more intense lessons and training than young women?

Post edited by LIGHTNING on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

The lessons tell you what speed to go at, but a certain proportion of drivers quite deliberately decide to do a much higher speed.

Another proportion are coked up, smoking something or pissed.

Perhaps electronic devices should be made compulsory until you have established a clear pattern of driving safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I can't comment on any individual incident.

However I have seen lots of Dangerous Driving videos on TikTok. I think peer pressure is a massive issue.

I'm not talking about doing a doughnut in a carpark but excessive speed and dangerous manovers on rural roads, built up areas.

Then there's videos of them just laughing at Gardai, summons, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

A lot of young drivers use the roads irresponsibly, speed and lack of anticipation seems to be the norm. it's particularly depressing to see newly qualified N drivers using the roads recklessly - they done a theory test and prescribed lessons yet still drive recklessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭Musicrules

I think it's an issue that we have in many areas of society. Many young men feel invincible and think they can do what they like. It's clear that something needs to change within our education system to teach young men about improving their behaviour. But if you suggest that then you'll have the masculinists up in arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

There's little enforcement round here anyway

No cameras on any roads out of town according to the map last time I checked

No gards about so ya can do pretty much as you like mostly aside from the very occasional checkpoint

They could start by not advertising the location of vans on a gosafe map - I'm assuming they still do it?

2nd the point above about drivers . Put all young drivers on car monitors

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Enforcement has all but vanished, bar GoSafe cameras which are not easy to actually place on bad roads. I've seen two checkpoints in the two years since the end of the pandemic, waved through both (discs are all up to date), and I'm probably driving more now.

The spike in cars going around with blatantly illegal and quick to pull over things like the black-on-grey reg plates shows that there is either a lack of resources or a lack of giving a toss amongst the RPU.

Drug usage is through the roof across the entire country, which won't be helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

I see quite an amount of bad driving! I've had numerous drivers overtake me while I've been stopped at red lights,

and one of those times there were pedestrians crossing! Deaths will continue to rise & it doesn't matter what regulations

you bring in, people will continue to drive as they feel free to do so as their belief is 'it won't happen to them'

Perhaps dash cams should be compulsory in all vehicles?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Enforcement of nearly all driving laws is gone, apart from speeding vans which are for profit.

Used to be that people would break an orange light, amber gamblers. Now on any given day, at any given junction, you will see people break red lights. I routinely see people break red lights at pedestrian crossings if no one is crossing the road, rather than wait an extra 10 seconds.

Parking is another thing. Double parking, parking on yellow lines, people just don't care and it's not confined to any demographic. It's across the board.

One thing local to me is new houses built with no driveway, next to a junction. So the house owners park their cars on the road, blocking traffic. People in traffic likely get p*ssed, so they break the red light, sometimes two or three cars at a time. No enforcement and it's just a done thing. If I'm coming from the other direction, I'll wait a few seconds after the light goes green before I move off.

It's gone beyond ridiculous, the gardai are a joke. They command no respect, and therefore deserve no respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

As far as I know…The problem with number plates is they’re not in Garda remit and are a customs/revenue area?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Unfortunately young people getting killed in car crashes is a sad fact of life and the type of crash where two three or four young people are in a car, coming from or going to a party or social gathering, has been a constant occurrence since young people were able to get behind the wheel.

No amount of safety campaigns, shock tv adverts or appeals from Gardai or anyone else, is going to make the slightest difference once drink, drugs, peer pressure and bravado are at play.

We don't have enough guards to have even close to enough of a presence on the roads, and even then, most of these major accidents happen on country roads, late at night where realistically patrol cars can't be omnipresent.

The lack of resources is a huge factor and we hear now that less than 5% of disqualified drivers hand in their licenses voluntarily.

Drug & drink driving is rampant more now than ever, as is the mobile phone in hand and sadly the crashes will just keep on happening. A shocking but inevitable result of where policing and enforcement is currently.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That sounds like something made up by a Garda that didn't want to do their job tbh. They are covered by the same regulations as all other vehicle safety regs.

It would be impossible, but a system that fines a Garda every time they use "that's a civil matter" or blame another department when they're wrong about it would be wonderful. And possibly leave a lot of Gardai bankrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭User1998

Registration plate laws are under the Registration and Taxation Regulations, which are enforced by Revenue, not Gardai.

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1992/si/318/made/en/print

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Plenty of examples on boards.ie where people report motoring offences, and if the offender lives in a different jurisdiction, the gardai won't do anything. "You need to report that to a different garda station"

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭lmk123

Does anyone else think that the people that decide to Drive 30-50km below the speed limit on good roads are a major danger, leads to huge queues and people taking chances overtaking, I can never make sense of the mentality behind it, if you’re not capable of doing the limit or whatever is safe to do at the time then you shouldn’t be on that road, artics and buses can do the limit but a little polo can’t

That needs to be (urgently) fixed in that case. Preferably allowing the cars of people with "4D" plates to be crushed or torched with all their belongings inside them...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭User1998

Usually I wouldn’t really care about reg plates but I agree about them grey on black plates, you genuinely can’t read the plate until its right in front of you

And its deliberately so. Why would you get them unless you intend to break the law and reduce the chances of being caught? They look like arse. As do all the "4D" ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

More people.

More people driving.

On phones.

On drugs (alcohol is the worst offender).

More people in rural areas with no access to public transport.

People with all the knowledge in the world, available in their pockets, but less civilised, more ignorant and more impatient.

Dumb ass speed and car glorifying programmes like Top Gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

It's a mentality. Arrogance. Invincibility. Selfishness.

It's going to take serious law enforcement and a serious educational campaign to begin to crack this.

Look at smoking in pubs. People said the smoking ban would never work but it caught on with enforcement and a shift towards smoking no longer being seen as sexy or cool.

Attitudes will have to shift dramatically.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Local fireman who attends many car crashes tells me the three main reasons in our part of rural ireland caudng crash’s are

1. No guard presence to correct people or deter people from 2 below reasons
    2. Phones - they have had fatalities where the phone was been used at impact
    3. Drugs driving is a huge problem with cocaine causing young people to drive wreckless with very poor judgment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Dartz

What's actually changed in the last few years though?

Something has changed. And it's not people.

Cars have theoretically only gotten safer - but in practice they've also gotten bigger, heavier and bigger and there's no extra magic grip on the road. People also be using facebook or the spotify while driving.

Spotify especially.

It's one thing to search for a radio station and another to skim through Rammstein albums so you can pedal along to Feuer Frei backfiring the whole way up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

How about a total lack of visible and robust roads policing ?

On a daily basis it's impossible not to see a range of motoring offences, multiple times, even on the shortest journey.

It's wrong to include lack of access to public transport as a reason for people driving dangerously or intoxicated etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭BrianD3

There have been a number of fatal crashes on motorways this year. Single vehicle crashes, pedestrians killed while walking on motorways. These morons are probably deserving of some sort of Darwin award.

Add to that crashes last year involving vehicles being driven on public roads by children, hit and runs (scumbags) , incidents involving tractors and/or no seat belts (e.g one in cavan where a passenger in a tractor was killed) Also, the usual epidemic of single vehicle crashes on rural roads in the early hours, likely related to fatigue, intoxication, suicide or showing off.

There’s no one to stop them basically. Been driving only since Sept 2022, but I’ve been stopped twice about 6 weeks apart at checkpoints. Never seen a checkpoint otherwise.

One was for drink driving and the other tax, insurance & NCT checks. I drove plenty unaccompanied as a learner and that never was a problem either. I also am pretty certain I drove by a speed trap in baltinglass a few of weeks back. About the size of it insofar as enforcement barring speed cameras.

Incidentally at the same checkpoint a young lad ahead of me was getting ripped into for driving like a clown on a learner permit with no seatbelt. Had the car taken off him but he may well have ended up a statistic otherwise.

The Garda can do a lot to take gobshites off the road but they won’t do it from the barracks. I suppose there’s just not enough of them either. You can almost get away with murder tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Murder on roads yes, good chance of getting away with that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I've said it before I think those safety ads from the late 90's early 00's need to come back....well a more updated version. I don't think they'll impact the current 18-25 yr old demographic but it will sow the seed in the 12-17 yo and hopefully change outlook.

Drink and drugs have always been about, I've never done it myself but my younger self did get into cars where I knew the driver was under the influence...I did eventually cop on but 19-21 we were lucky.

I do think mobile phones are also a major issue.... personally I'd love some sort of dampener in cars that blocked signals...it will never happen though.

I would also love to know how many people weren't wearing seatbelts.

Maybe we need to bring restrictions in ...can only drive a 1.2 for first 3 years after getting licence, or have speed restrictors fitted to cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

This is it.

If the will were there we'd have this sorted fairly quickly.

The amount of distractions in cars nowadays can be significant - phones being the key one.

Instead we focus on more laws without the ability to enforce the existing ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭jeremyr62

I am an old fart who started using vehicles on the roads in the 1980s. In my case it was motorbikes in London. First point is I am not convinced it is getting worse. You have blips but as far as I know the number of road related fatalities shows a general trend downwards. The second is back then there definitely was a much greater chance of being stopped by the police if you were committing an offence. It was a powerful deterrent.

The idea of doing donuts on a motorway would have blown my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The huge change is the availability of smartphones and the addictive nature of the apps. When you cycle, from the higher head position, you see huge numbers of drivers with phones on their laps, just begging to be distracted. You drivers having video chats, drivers playing Tiktoks, drivers writing emails and WhatsApps, drivers "just listening" to the video podcasts playing on the dash. Absolutely crazy.

when we hear, as we heard this week, of some people in the car killed, while others survived with non life-threatening injuries, I often suspect that seatbelts, or lack of seat belts, or the root cause.

It's not a surprise to see the oul lads on Boards pointing the finger at younger drivers. Let's have speed limiters and monitors for ALL drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

With the increase in population, and number of cars on the roads, our stats actually aren't really increasing in line with them.

But the media attention to annual road death figures makes it sound worse than it is. Remember we used to have figures in the 600s in the 80s.

Of course any road death is very sad, but we ain't going to get rid of them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement