Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Varadkar, Martin & Ryan walking off a stage together to avoid a journalist. Is this acceptable?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭ArrBee

There seems to be a lot of people arguing the semantics, instead of the idea at play.

e.g. whether or not he thinks of himself as a journalist, or if he has made an arse of himself poreviously, etc etc.

Even if this gript group is labelled as "problematic", fact is, he was there in attendance as a journo, yes? Surely that affords him the right to behave as a journo...

I get that he may not be selected to ask his question. I also get that any journo might try and yell out a "final question" after time. All art of the "game" of a press conference as far as I am concerned.

But here is a question for those that are verminantly against the guy and gript....

Do you belive that there should be other media organisations asking the same questions instead of this guy, or do you feel that no one should ask these questions?

And I don't mean, "please find 1 question that they should not be asking", I am talking in a general sense....

My only exposure to this group was a video where he was interviewing an ex attorney general, which seemed to be little to no input from the interviewer.

I would have assumed that an ex-AG would have a pretty good grasp on legal implications of constitutional change....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

In fairness to Gript, their policy of insulating Ireland from the outside world and slavish obedience to the morality of the Catholic Church served us very well in the past, so maybe they're on to something.

Come on . Why would any politician engage with this lad, knowing full well it will be twisted and contorted out of all context?

And Varadkar is the very successful son of a very successful immigrant, and he's gay to boot. He's everything your average Gript "reader" hates. Why would he bother his hole talking to yer man?

To some extent though, they gave him exactly what he wanted. You can see the number of people who've swallowed the "cowards running from the tough questions" line.

Hateful bigots and gullible idiots have never been a good match, luckily for us it's a very small minority here.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭foxsake

strange angle of debate. but would it suit you if I rephrase to "population"- who are for the most part "the electorate".

you want to debate on semantics... a bit of a waste of time tbh.

you knew exactly what I meant and my point is bang on and stands.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

He has asked questions before it seems.

You realise, of course, that this clarifies that the whole thing is trumped up nonsense?

Not everyone gets to ask a question in every single press conference. This is entirely standard. Other journalists don't then record themselves asking a question into their own mic which nobody else can hear to claim that the politician deliberately walked off instead of answering them.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭scottser

That nonsense from varadkar et al just gives gript more ammunition. He should have been well able to put the journalist in his place on the facts alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,682 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You are the one changing the goal posts.

You claimed they represent a decent number of the electorate, when asked to prove this you pointed to a referendum.

Now you have pivoted to "media representation", whatever the fúck that means.

I don't think even you will argue that as a "media" (blog) outlet they would be at best niche.

So in reality, they align with your views, views that have been confined to the 70s and 80s in the main.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thomas 123

He was not allowed ask his question though - this is the root of the issue.

No, he claims he was ignored as they walked out.

That is clearly false.

Then he published the video claiming the false narrative.

Is this the type of "journalist" you think we should have more of?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Sadler Peak

They are terrified of hard questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Trust in media is at an all time low and it’s not surprising considering the standard of traditional media outlets. All the mainstream media calling people protesting migration centres far right without speaking to them and any questions on government Covid policies. corruption rampant in RTE for years that was never investigated.

They have always marched in lock step with the government and the trend of the day. It was complete obedience to the church in the past and now it’s extreme leftism and open borders. It’s incredible that they can’t play the middle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Is this guy a journalist? I wouldn’t say that as I wouldn’t want to insult the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

He simply forgot to wear his

“Regime Approved News and Propaganda ” badge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭TokTik

Gript is a genuine media organisation. Gript is held to the same standards as any other press media organisation. If you, or the 3 stooges, are unhappy with their reporting you can always contact the Press Council of Ireland, whose rules they are bound to follow. I believe they’ve had 1 ruling against them since they started up.

Just because you don’t like them doesn’t mean they are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Facts in this case can't put anyone in their place, Caterine Martin was called out for lies and then she doubled down when pulled up on it, that's what the question was in relation to, nobody is pulling up politicans for lying and speading misinforamtion about the refrendum. It's not that Ben is just looking for a gotcha moment, other journalists are doing aboutsolutely nothing on calling out the bull crap from Goverment. Maybe if they done their job Gript wouldn't have ended up with 3 million odd views on that video.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Almost every referendum campaign in my experience has been marked by lies on both sides, the only one where I don't remember lies on both sides was the same sex marriage referendum, I don't think the yes side were lying during that campaign. But on every other one there has been lies, it goes with the territory.

In recent years there has been a lot of consensus around the various referendums, and a lot of the untruths went unchallenged. It's definitely healthy if that's changing, but I guess Varadkar et al aren't used to it and wanted to isolate someone with a very contrary view. It's a terrible look for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Do you need a press pass to get into the media room in the dail?

If you do, then I dunno why some people are saying Ben isn’t a journalist 🫤

• Registered Users Posts: 10,980 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

This right here is actual far-right, and fascist thinking.

How anyone can come out with this, and claim to be progressive, and on the right side of history I'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I think back to all those RTE Investigates programs that outlined significant corruption in our local authorities. Widespread and blatant corruption that the Mahon Tribunal told the FFG ministers to fix and reform decades ago. Has there been any reform? None. The 2015 Public Sector Standards bill is still in draft and there is zero appetite to pass it. RTE reported corruption - nothing done. RTE clearly corrupt - nothing done.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,138 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's a bit of a grey area. Gript is a right wing, very conservative website with a niche audience (perhaps akin to Spiked Online in the UK). Most other journalists at these press conferences would be from mainstream press, TV and radio outlets.

If he’s not a journalist, how did he get accreditation to be in the press room??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

The same gript currently being sued by an immigrant because they wrongly gave his details linking him to the stabbings in Dublin and putting him in physical danger from the far right rent a mob? F#ck em. McGuirk is and always has been a grifter ever since his student union days. Hopefully he gets cleaned out by the lawsuit. A Temu Steve Bannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭foxsake

everybody I don't like is consigned in the main to the 1970s.

sure.

One lawsuit, yet to see the inside of a court, compared to RTE, the most recent figures I can find is that they paid €4.7m in different cases where they were sued from 2017-2022. 29 separate lawsuits in that period, averaging €160k of taxpayers money each to settle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Let me get this straight. You came into the thread spreading misinformation about the guy not being a journalist. Then you got angry when people didn't accept your misinformation immediately without question. Now you are using the word journalist in quotation marks. Have you the found the proof that he isn't a journalist yet or have you simply run away with your tail between you legs?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

He isn't a journalist he is a content creator for an online blog, he is a journalist in the same way you are. Are we all journalists?

He is also a liar, his question wasn't ignored.

He is now peddling those lies to the likes of you who has swallowed them whole.

Although there is a literal video of it. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭Homelander

Take off the tinfoil hat and get some fresh air for yourself, the entire world isn't a vast conspiracy.

Your whole post is basically nonsensical anti-Government hysteria-conspiracy. Exactly the sort of person who hoovers up Gript.

The entire media sector in Ireland is in bed with the Government. No-one ever asks the Government tough questions ever or is critical of their performance.

Only Gript can expose the truth. Comical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

So, whataboutery aside, do you condone gript's actions that I described above? Try to answer the question now, don't go running off with the goalposts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Gript is centre right and socially conservative - very much in tune with many Irish citizens - especially the over 40s.

RTÉ, Irish Times & Independent are centre left and centre right economically speaking. 

All 3 are ultra liberal in terms of social issues. 

I am all for a wide variety of media outlets in Ireland, from the complete spectrum of political views - let them ask the hard questions and let the audience choose who they listen to/read/are guided by. 

Far healthier than the current wayyy too cosy consensus that exists between Montrose and Leinster House

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It doesn't matter whether or not he is a "journalist" by some arbitrary definition. He was in the room and ultimately as entitled to be considered for a question as any other credentialed person there.

But he has no more right than anyone else also and its just not unusual for someone not be called on for a question. Focusing on whether or not he "deserved" to be able to ask a question is a complete sideshow and the exact one they want. It was a perfectly normal press conference that one agency has decided to try and make a furore over for their own personal grift and they are so far being successful.

Advertisement