Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Varadkar, Martin & Ryan walking off a stage together to avoid a journalist. Is this acceptable?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Gript appeals to the likes of Ben Scallan/Ben Gilroy et al and the fringe Irexit/Freedom Party, which is that miniscule it doesn't attract much more than miniscule attention.

The Gript/Irexit folk see this miniscule attention as a hardline conspiracy to discredit the silent majority that they are definitely a part of.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭CrazyEric

At 1 second in Leo varadkar is looking to someone at the side, before Scallan "Allegedly" spoke. At 3 seconds the other 2 stooges are looking to the bottom left of the screen at someone who is trying to engage Ryan but is definitely not Scallan. Varadkar and Martin leave the stage and Ryan listens to what the journalist (not Scallan) is saying, gives a wishy washy wave off of whatever was said and leaves. If the camera angle is from Scallan then nobody hears and notices him because at no point does anybody's eyes even flicker in that direction.

Anybody being open minded can see that this is someone pretending they were ignored when obviously they muttered a question into their own microphone after the press conference had ended, absolute crayon eating type of journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭buried

What are you on about? For the last 20 years they have shown countless times how they have favoured one political entity over the other. Look at what happened to Seán Gallagher by RTE during the 2011 Presidential election campaign. That was absolutely disgraceful, a disgrace a lot of you righteous people have completely forgotten about.

RTE have also been in the habit of parroting out the line that SF take their orders from a foreign entity council based in Belfast. Might be true, might be bull$hit too, but you, me or anybody else has never heard RTE ask any person from the Green Party where their manifestoes originate from, which is the 'Alliance 90', a German green political party based in Berlin, the international HQ of all Green Parties worldwide.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I agree.

Think if they are given the room to prove themselves, as is their right, they will... right, or wrong ,

People will decide for themselves in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,692 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Activists? That is stretching it. In reality.

It's a racist God bothering blog designed to fleece the terminally stupid.

It was setup by a guy who is an unemployable preputial loser.

Who has been reduced to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

I would be horrified thinking about what the country would be like if we didn’t have the likes of Gript or people questioning government policy’s in the Dail and on Social Media.

it’s all about balance

• Registered Users Posts: 18,165 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The Sean Gallagher thing was a fiasco alright, but it was more down to total incompetence on the part of RTE than an attempt to nobble his chances.

I'm not buying for a moment that the MSM are in league with the Government. For starters, it's a three party coalition...which one of the three parties are they supposed to prefer? And will they be accused by Gript of being pro-government if SF and Mary Lou come to power? Given their attacks on SF recently, the answer to that one would appear to be 'yes'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,782 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Will Gript get any of the license fee that I don't pay?

I can't get over how upset people are with the likes of Gript or Ditch. Ditch uncovered a bucket load of easy to find corruption and the Stockholm syndrome folks went bananas.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Not horrified.. But certainly balance is needed.

Now whether balance is achieved with a publication funded by god knows who, which doesn't adhere to any of the usual journalistic checks or balances remains to be seen.

Surely we need more than these guys who can be batted off so easily because they are not taken seriously because of their questionable style and substance?

But it is best to hear differing voices in a democracy, you are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭buried

That was no 'fiasco', that was a de-facto total political assassination. The only incompetence is that the current regime is completely and utterly intertwined with the ongoing fraud show that is RTE, and has been for decades. The incompetence is ours for allowing it to go on, the culmination we have all witnessed the last 10 months. RTE are more than capable of being totally competent when hiding their own tracks or trying to pass the tracks onto somebody else.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭rdhma

Freedom of speech is one thing.

A "right to be heard" however does not exist, not here, not in the U.S with their 1st amendment either.

Thankfully, any of us can simply ignore speech that we do not wish to listen to.

We are also free to support or reject politicians who ignore hatemongers and conspiracy theory wackos.

The joys of a democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Scipri0

It wouldn't of taking long to answer the question and if they did hardly anyone would've noticed now the word has spread much faster. If it was another news media they wouldn't have done it because when other media questions them they're safe easy questions. They're hardly ever called out when they lie and walked off because they knew the question/s that were coming were not easy to deflect.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,369 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

If you look back at videos where Ben is going to ask a question we have seen eye rolls etc from various Government Ministers and when they do say something its a half arsed answer and then back to their friends in the left leaning media.

You may not like the guy but he has put them on the spot in some of the videos which is what the media is supposed to do.

Its just too much of a coincidence the 3 of them didn't hear a question from the only right leaning media representative in the room.

Similar to RTE so when they accused a priest of being a rapist.

Cowboy journalism as you say yourself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It's not a coincidence at all, it's just physics. He spoke at a normal conversational volume at the back of a meeting room without a mic (except his own apparently). There is no way they even heard him.

How do you know they didn't hear him?

Were you there?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 18,165 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

My memory of the Gallagher fiasco is that they read out an inaccurate and misleading tweet that surfaced during the live TV debate. But that couldn't possibly have been pre-planned : it looked more like a crass editorial error of judgement to read it out, but there was no evidence that the reading out of it by Pat Kenny was premeditated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭TokTik

Sort of like claiming a priest is a paedophile?? Is that cowboy journalism??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭TokTik

Gript never named anyone and so far have not been bound guilty of libel.

IT and Indo can fire away, as I said mistakes happen. No skin off my nose.

RTE, that bill is paid by the taxpayer, so of course people are going to be annoyed. Especially when they’re giving golden handshakes left right and centre while crying the poor mouth to the public.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I've been in rooms with more than 10 people in them. He was at the back of a crowded room speaking at normal voice levels while other people were talking. It's insanity to think that that somehow carried up to the stage where they decided to walk off in the middle of his question because they didn't like it.

Honestly, have none of you ever watched any press conferences ever?

You’ll never convince anyone supporting gript or a part of gript of that Podge. That would be contrary to the “gubberment is keeping us down” narrative they want to push.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Madeoface

Nobody in the audience or rte was collecting 5k in envelopes for Fianna fail if I recall...

I can't stand wee president Yoda personally but that FF patsy... Jesus. That barrel was so small he was the best outcome of the amoeba running.

I've watched lots of them.

You can try to spin it all you want for the 3 amigos but we aren't buying it.

It is another nail in the coffin for a government that hated by the people.

Having said that the shinner open border party would have done the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I must google Gript. Never heard of them.

But our politicians should answer any questions put to them by any journalist or member of the public

Leo and his elk should never forget who put him and the other gib$hites in their comfy cushy positions.

They're there to do a job.

If the questions are tough..so what

Put on your big boy pants and awlbswer them.

Or be honest and tell them you'll get back to them after the civil servants have written out the answers for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,574 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

How long should they stand there answering questions, from the guy with the track record for asking questions that are not in good faith?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Ben Scallon is little better than one of those so called citizen journalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Has any other media outlet asked Catherine Martin about her misleading comments and what the electoral commission had to say about them?

Seems such an obvious and necessary thing to ask about,so I presume they have, but I havent seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,376 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Some of those citizen journalists have done excellent work and have brought many issues of concern to prominence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,692 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

But our politicians should answer any questions put to them by any journalist or member of the public

I don't see how that has anything to do with this thread.

He didn't ask a question.

His claim is complete lies, he posted the video that disproves his own claim.

As for politicians engaging with the public, they do. They have clinics in their constituency offices.

Have you never contacted a TD or Local politician?

Ireland would be a bit of outlier in this regard and access would be quite casual.

Although access to politicians may have to change for security reasons, thanks to the likes of this hateful blog whipping up the crazies.

This sadly has already happened in the UK in recent times.

Advertisement