Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Varadkar, Martin & Ryan walking off a stage together to avoid a journalist. Is this acceptable?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,903 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Seeing the video again…The person asking the question is about 6 seconds into asking it, when Leo turns around and proceeds to walk off, without acknowledging or thanking the assembled….Martin follows and to Ryan’s credit, and I don’t say that often, his instinct is to stay and listen / engage ….he looks embarrassed by the other two’s actions ...id give him a bit of credit there.

it’s a very poor look on a leader when because he doesn’t hear what he likes, he just turns on his heels and runs. If he was pressed for time..” I’ll just deal with that very quickly and it has to be the last question, sorry but…. “

then Varadkar / FG … openness, democracy, listening, understanding, respecting………not a strong suit especially with Leo.

Leo has the demeanour of a fella not a million miles from packing it all in….he looks fed up these days…..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It has nothing to do with asking questions I disagree with, and I don’t agree that most people viewing won’t have heard of that particular journalist, nor do I think the politicians in question can be criticised for being rude and dismissive given the way that particular journalist acts like he’s reporting for the school newspaper and this is his moment… every, single, fcuking, time!

I couldn’t think of a word to describe it but the behaviour is best described as ‘sealioning’:

The sealioner feigns ignorance and politeness while making relentless demands for answers and evidence (while often ignoring or sidestepping any evidence the target has already presented), under the guise of "just trying to have a debate", so that when the target is eventually provoked into an angry response, the sealioner can act as the aggrieved party, and the target presented as closed-minded and unreasonable. It has been described as "incessant, bad-faith invitations to engage in debate".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealioning

Their refusal to entertain him is exactly how democracy works - he maintains the right to freedom of expression and freedom of the press and so on, and everyone else maintains the right not to have to entertain his shìt! Basic democracy in action, or this, if you prefer? Gets the same message across:

It’s not an embarrassment at all, Scallan simply got shown the door, and I don’t imagine he feels one bit embarrassed about it. It’s a victory for Gript as far as they’re concerned, because they get to flood the likes of X with inane crap like this:

Now imagine that coming at you and tell me you wouldn’t be hacked off to the point where you wish he would just fcuk off already, but you can’t say that because you know it’s exactly what they want. Gript are simply a timesink with no journalistic integrity, values or ethics. It’s for this reason they can produce the absolute scour they do, because it’s the kind of monotonous drivel their audience wants to see, and hear, and read about and share with as many people as possible.

I don’t think any politician will be at all embarrassed by the behaviour of the politicians in question in that clip, far more likely I’d imagine they will take a lead from their leaders and simply ignore the distraction in the room vying not for their attention, or even hoping to ask a genuine question, or express any kind of concern… but simply hoping to capture a moment that they can share on all their socials 😒

Post edited by One eyed Jack on

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Lord Baron Lane 8

Obnoxious rude behaviour from Leo Varadkar & Michael Martin & Eamon Ryan .

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Lord Baron Lane 8

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭buried

What a bunch of pathetic clowns. Varadkar walking away like a spoilt brat, the two other goms, smiling like two bullied underlings. It will be a great day for this country when these three walk off the stage for good.

Fascinating watching the civil servants fall over themselves to defend these 3 stooges.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭foxsake

gavan reilly knows what side his bread is buttered as also being ex-journal.ie he is probably as anti-gript as you can be .

Some people here are gloating cos it was gript but the same would be crying if it was trump did this .

Like it or not , Gript represents a decent section of the electorate, those people have a right to be heard

I like gript pretty much cos people like Scallen ask difficult and accountability questions from our politicians - case in point recently he challenged Catherine Martin over her "women in the home" comments regarding the constitution which was directly in contract to the electoral commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Gript ask the awkward questions that the other journalists won’t.

Very much so.

The game is to pay lip service to “approved” questions and to run to the hills when awkward questions are asked.

you will see this live and in person if you ask canvassers who show up at your doorstep some awkward questions - they’ll leave scorch marks behind them rather than engaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Gript are shower of gobsh*tes

He started off with government misinformation and they walked off

It’s the spin they have been saying in every meeting

I can understand why they done it but they shouldn’t of and just waited for him to ask question,answered and walked off

• Registered Users Posts: 39,683 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Gript represents a decent section of the electorate

Do you mean "decent" as in respectable or "decent" as in proportion?

Because both are bullshít.

He has clearly dubbed himself over the video using his own microphone, posted it to twitter to enrage the dangerously stupid.

Either way he isn't a journalist, he is a pretend politician at best.

• Advertisement

RTÉ - while piously styling itself a neutral public broadcaster - is very very very biased, as we all know - it incessantly promotes the “none more woke than us” agenda. 

Add the Irish Times to that category too.

It is good to have some semblance of balance where a small media outlet with limited resources tries to address the endless streams of woke audio and visual “scutter talk” flowing from Montrosia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

It’s true , grifters like the gript don’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The walk out was cowardly. I don't care who the journalist is (never heard of him). Stand up and field the questions, it's your job. By all means ridicule the question if it's silly but don't walk off. That's Trump style messing.

The 3 unwise men.

Maybe that's what BAM do when the government ask for the final cost of the Children's hospital.

RTE journalists aren't tainted? Coveney influence anyone?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,157 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

But outfits like Gript only exist to give a platform to disgruntled and frustrated knobs who are not tolerated elsewhere.

you will see a lot of this at referendum canvassing and election time - they are ok to give bland generalised responses but if an “awkward” question is asked - they run to the hills and leave scorch marks in the ground.

They are putting themselves forward to be elected to represent the public yet won’t engage with the public !!

I can only assume their well paid media “handlers” instruct them to do this.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH

They didn't walk out on him FFS. The press conference was over.

Ryan engages with someone else in the front row.

Nobody looked at him or heard him because he was talking into his own microphone.

This is very basic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭seanin4711

like or loathe them gript asking some probing questions and it now shows, without a doubt, that the only questions that can be asked are from reporters that are bought and paid for by the government (RTE etc).

I meant in terms of proportion . but now you raise the matter - I believe both.

If you don't think Gript resonates with a decent cohort of the electorate then you are either

in denial or have a inflated view of a decent proportion.

they only want the "right" sort of questioning

• Advertisement

The other "favoured" journalists should be insisting that everyone gets a chance to pose questions. RTE is clearly biased.

sorry i missed a point here....

you don't get to define what a journalist is cos of your needs and wants.

I think many in the irish times/irish independent and rte staffers are moronic official ireland voiceboxes that do a disservice to journalism - but they are journalists . wouldn't go around like a fool deny the clear facts just cos i don't like them

Out of interest, do you support the recent arson attacks? I think there tends to be a direct correlation between gript supporters and these arson supporters. As I said, not everyone deserves a voice.

I should also add, Gript is TINY, MINISCULE in its resources and influence compared to RTÉ and the “approved” media.

It’s interesting to see the Woke Brigade get so wound up and angry over the mere existence of a moderately conservative media outlet

The likes of Cabaiste who identifies as a transgender octopus or some such nonsense, with green hair and vegan oat latte - seething with rage - “How dare an “awkward” voice be heard that challenges (even weakly) the “Woke consensus”!!!

this is nonsense. Aside from their social slant Gript has articles that I want to see in the media that demand accountability of things like - where the money is spent? they do this and ask difficult questions of polictical sphere than nobody else does.

unless you think me wanting to know who gets my tax money is the view of "disgruntled and frustrated knobs"? if so I cant help you.

It's a bit of an old article now but they published a great piece before on how the chinese government were lobbying and mixing with many of our politicians through various groups. Not once did I see a similar article in any other media . why is that? I think it's cos the media in ireland is too cosy with the politicians and are afraid to rock the boat .

Post edited by foxsake on

I'll field this silly question. I have never heard of this journalist and I am not on gript or twitter for that matter. But why do you guys love to label immediately?

I am absolutely disgusted with the arson attacks. I was fuming when a hotel near me was burned and I made my feelings well known on the refugee thread.

So that doesn't fit into your narrative and I do think the 3 unwise men should field questions from every journalist.

What proportion?

The content creator in the video got 0.62% in the last election.

Who the chuck are you ? He isn’t a journalist , he’s a blogger.

• Advertisement

So anyone who owns or contributes to a blog is a journalist?

Interesting.

Advertisement