Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Varadkar, Martin & Ryan walking off a stage together to avoid a journalist. Is this acceptable?

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

It's nonsense to claim the government wants to shut down social media. It doesn't make any sense as I pointed out already.

One person is not a thorn in the side of the government.

I have no idea who Martin McMahon is, I doubt a lot of people in Ireland do either, 296 review doesn't suggest he is widespread.

In reality trying to shut people down gets them famous, you are better off letting them off and they make a fool of themselves. Excellent example is Paddy Cosgrove.

Ditch for example is an example of the most biased media company in Ireland. Not sure how any journalist would support such a biased media outlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Anyone who is keeping an eye on RTE would know who Martin McMahon is. He has already helped 3 current and former RTE win court cases against RTE with more cases on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,291 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The thing is that your local county councillor or TD loves using the social media to talk about just how much they're doing for the area: opening shops, new footpaths, creating jobs, fixing potholes etc etc. It's a really handy way to get the word out on how useful and essential the work is. Then they love the positive feedback and bask in the glow of approval.

The problem is that they very uncomfortable when other citizens in their electorate point out the shortcomings in whatever they're announcing. When the public take the opportunity to use the same social media to given them feedback and views they don't like or don't want to hear. Then they get upset and start threatening to control hate speech.

So which side will win out?

I think you missed a few words off the post, "former RTE win court cases against RTE"? I guess you mean former RTE employees

My automatic response is "So?"

One minute you are claiming that the government want to shut social media down, next you are talking about some person who has worked I guess legal cases against RTE? whats the link to shutting down social media by the government?

• Advertisement

Not just former RTE employees but current RTE employees too.

Thew reason I mentioned these legal cases is because social media has being used to tell us all about them, something the MSM is not doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,291 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

How will elections tackle the propensity of politicians to dislike criticism and seek to limit it?

We can vote in another bunch and they'll soon be moaning too.

The majority of people don't care, actually I refer back to the 99%.

So again I ask why would the government want to shut down social media when 99% of people don't give a sh*t ?

By shutting down these stories they would do the opposite and bring attention to them, by ignoring them nobody cares. Well apart from the 1% and honestly if I was working in a government party would I care about the 1% who wouldn't vote for you anyway?

You gave an example, I provided an answer. You seem to want to move the goalposts so maybe give the example of how they are limiting it.

It's well more than 1% that won't be voting for the current government.

• Advertisement

This why Leo on the one hand says Twitter/X has always been a sewer and on the other hand he happily uses Twitter/X.

I think a lot of people would agree with Leo on twitter been a sewer. People running multiple accounts to hide identity to abuse people online. F**king weirdo's to me why anyone would need to create multiple accounts to hide their identity but anyway.

Still, as a method to update people it is a necessary evil.

The problem here is the people running multiple accounts, not the people calling out the issues on the platform.

I'm still struggling to see your point here. You claimed the government want to shut down social media. Which I think we can both agree is nonsense.

So do you actually have a point?

Leo said Twitter has always been a sewer. He is wrong, Twitter used to be great but once Musk took over it changed to the sewer it is now. One of the media organisations that I write for used to get around 40% of traffic to their website via Twitter. It's now less than 5%.

I said the government would like to shut down social media if they could, and the new hate speech laws will have a chilling effect on social media. Just think back to 2015 when the Labour Senator Lorraine Higgins proposed the “Harmful And Malicious Electronic Communications Bill 2015.”  You can read about it here. Thankfully it never became law.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Clearly plenty of posters here don't realise that this press conference has certain rules in place

• Registered Users Posts: 16,459 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Twitter has been a mess for a long time, musk is just doing his level best to bury it entirely. There is no "heyday of twitter" just a time when it was less awful (and speaking as someone who used it for multiple things as necessary).

It used to be good but when Trump and Brexit became big news it started getting worse till it ended up where its is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Apparently FG are 'conservative , centre right ' . ;)

Probably our history and republican roots mitigated against true rightwing voter interest since Eoin O' Duffy and the Blueshirts .

Not coincidentally they only lasted from 1932 to 1935 before splitting into factions with the more moderate League of Youth led by Ned Cronin going into join Cumann na Gaedheal , latterly FG , and O'Duffy's group became more radical group Greenshirts and many went to Spain to fight for Franco with the Nationalist .

"chilling effect" are you starting the propaganda posts now?

As I already posted, Twitter issue is people running multiple accounts. Getting 40% less traffic is because how many fake accounts got shut down? Moaning about Musk shutting down some of the fake account is a new angle. Most people loved him shutting down fake account or people running multiple accounts because it stopped people hiding. Once they could hide most of them would abuse people knowing that anyone they met in public wouldn't realise what they are.

In reality nobody should be running multiple accounts. If they can't say something on their own account then it shouldn't be said.

2015 was nearly 10 years ago. Looks about as relevant as the other person you posted earlier, see I forgot their name already.

Also you mention about a media organisation and yet in previous posts seem to support Ditch, the most biased media platform in Ireland, maybe you could explain that one?

No propaganda posts just stating a fact.

People using multiple accounts to spout their points of view is not good and one account should be enough. I don't think fake accounts is why one of the media organisations I write for is getting less traffic. It's partly to do with Musk changing how you can use and share tweets. Shutting down fake accounts has to be applauded.

2015 is a long time ago but I was just giving an example. Back in 2015 there was a limit to how many characters you could use in a tweet which could result in you having to send multiple tweets. Under the proposed law by Lorraine Higgins that would be seen as harassment.

As for the Ditch, I might not agree with everything they do but they have gone after SF too and are not limiting themselves to just the government parties.

The other person I mentioned is Martin McMahon who is doing a sterling job as can be seen here

FG started to using "chilling" to describe Sinn Fein and now Sinn Fein have used it when possible, childish carry on to be honest from adults

The Ditch is the most biased media in Ireland, not sure how anyone can claim that is up for discussion. The whole outlet was set up by a guy with a vendetta against FG. It is some insult to proper journalist when you see Roman claiming to be a "Investigative Journalist"

You complained earlier that journalism professionals would die, well if you can just walk off the street and the only qualification you have in journalism is a grudge against a political party then yes journalism will die.

If the likes of the Ditch want to be taken serious they need to get rid of the biased tag

• Advertisement

I think if other media organisations stopped treating the government parties as good buddies, that would be a start. Some of the stories that The Ditch covered such ABP and Temple Street Hospital should have been easily covered by the MSM but was not. If the MSM was more impartial, outlets like The Ditch would not exist.

It is also worth noting that the NUJ recognises The Ditch as a legitimate media organisation.

The creation of Ditch has nothing to do with MSM, it has to do with a vendetta and nothing else. If they created a unbiased media website you would see it becoming more popular, as it is once you see the content and then look at the people involved the majority just move on.

Plenty of critical stories are run daily by the media, just people want to ignore them. Put on the tin foil hat and say media is covering up.

Im not sure what NUJ has to do with anything? like any union if you give them money they will support you.

Most of the questions I already raised you ignored...

If the MSM covered some of the stories that the Ditch did there would be no need for the ditch. A vendetta might be behind the creation of the Ditch but you can't dispute some of the stories they have covered.

When you claimed that "It is some insult to proper journalist when you see Roman claiming to be a "Investigative Journalist" I was showing that if the NUJ is backing them then they are legitimate journalists.

I don't think a grudge against a political party will make you a good journalist and you can't lay that on the Ditch as it has written stories on more than one political party including non government parties. I guess you are adding in the Paddy Cosgrave link to the Ditch.

I guess your political leanings are towards the current government.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

in fairness cabbage head kinda acknowledged the reporter while the other two clowns ignored him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Advertisement