Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Varadkar, Martin & Ryan walking off a stage together to avoid a journalist. Is this acceptable?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

It only appeals to conspiracists in the main. Hence Ben Scallans failed political career.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,683 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

He isn't a journalist and they didn't walk out on him.

That has already pointed out to you.

So why are you still upset?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭Shoog

Gript is all about disengenious framing of issues, focusing on one aspect and ignoring the bigger context around the issue. They maybe factually correct in a very narrow sense but their framing misrepresents the issue and so it descends into misinformation. Their readership love it because this mirrors their own approach to information and discourse.

Sensible people refuse to engage with it because they know it's bad faith, and if a politician walks away from it then he is been more honest than the disingenuous gript reporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Can you prove the direct correlation?

Or is it just everyone who disagrees with you also supports burning down buildings?

Facts are, a fella wanted to ask a a question, waited his turn, did not get to ask it. Tried to ask it at the end (as he feels it’s in his interest and the public interest) He recorded himself on his own mic to share online later which he did. Good thing he brought his microphone eh? Probably assumed he wouldn’t be allowed ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭foxsake

mind if i speculate?

34% voted no in abortion ref . fair to assume a chunk of them have some affinity to the angle gript takes. fair enough?

Now I do IRL some pro choicers but would be anti government due to mismanagement of funds, covid /lockdown etc... I see they follow and like Gript and I assume they aren't just limited to my circle. so that would take account of any anti abortion people who didn't like gripts other views.

so I'll say 30% to be a nice round number. usual margin of error.

Governments have been elected on similar but definitely referendums can be pass on that number

So Gript would represent that grouping a lot more than Gavan Reilly/ Irish Times / Indo etc.... in terms of media representation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Whilst I'm not a fan of any of the three bucks, maybe if any of them had the balls to put this so-called journalist back in his box I'd have more respect for them.

Gript is an agenda driven clickbait outlet that makes The Sun look good.

He doesn't even call himself a journalist.

But that is moot, what you said you were upset by is that the 3 of them walked out on him.

They clearly didn't.

So why are you still upset?

Strange metric, but I will play.

Did 34% of the electorate vote for parties who were "anti abortion people" in the last general election?

The content creator in the video got roughly 200 votes.

0.62%

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Nail on head.

The media are far too cosy and “in bed” with the politicians in this country.

it’s a club with unwritten rules, the hacks ultimately want to get the nod for a lucrative spell as a Minister special advisor or media advisor - so they play the game and don’t rock the boat too much - lest they be blacklisted.

The likes of Gript are the noisy neighbours coming to gatecrash the party and actually, you know, hold politicians to account and ask them questions they don’t want to answer !

We need more Gripts, On the ditch, etc in this country - not less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

For all the noise on X/Twitter about this, in real terms it's a storm in a teacup. The same circle jerk of accounts that are constantly replying to/reposting Gript/Irish Freedom Party/Nationalist Party talking points.

It'll make absolutely zero difference when it comes to election time as none of them were going to vote for the current government parties anyway. Much like those engaging in hyperbolic ranting about democracy on here.....how many of you were intending to vote FG, FF or Greens before this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

working for Gript and calling yourself a journalist is fake news

I never get upset, this is Boards. You clearly are. Do you feel unsafe now? So where is the proof sunshine? You said it, back it up or stop spreading misinformation.

A quick Google shows he calls himself a journalist on his Twitter page. How does he get admission to press conferences? He has asked questions before it seems.

Don't worry, RTE will report all the truth you need to know. Make sure to pay that license now.

Lots of people called themselves lots of different things on twitter.

On Linkedin he calls himself a "Presenter at Gript Media".

If I am an employer I call it for what it is, a content creator for an online blog.

But again they didn't walk out on him. Do you accept that at least?

He has manufactured outrage for his followers who have long abandoned critical thought and now you are indulging in it for some strange reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭CarProblem

"He doesn't even call himself a journalist."

Yes he does, repeatedly. Any time a Gript video he's involved with is getting traction he will often tweet words to the effect of "I'm the journalist responsible - follow for similar content etc"

Where is your proof that he is not a journalist?

Do you mean he is not a government approved journalist?

Take your time.

If I called myself a surgeon on Twitter would you let me operate on you?

No but I'd probably agree that you call yourself a Surgeon

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mod

Ibunnae thread banned

Just a note if you can't be civil to one another, don't bother posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

No love for Gript, still think this is an embarrassment from government

If yer man asks such dumb and misinformed questions then they should be able to dispatch him with ease. These are our apparent “Statesmen”, natural orators, grubs like Scallan should be torn asunder.

But no instead they cry off like a bunch of cowards. It only gives credence to the idea that they’re not being forthright about things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

A healthy media landscape involves a myriad of outlets - from hard right to hard left.

Not a cosy little gang of Irish Times/Indo/Montrose Mafia. Who are all avowed “woke warriors”.

We need more Gripts on the conservative side to level up the debate.

Doesn't make me a surgeon though, does it?

Anyway on his linkedin page he calls himself a Presenter. Which is stretching it.

He a content creator for an online blog. That is exactly what he is, no different to the millions of others who do it.

The content like this video is manufactured to get the small amount of gammons that follow it even redder.

Mission accomplished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Deleted

"Doesn't make me a surgeon though, does it?"

It doesn't but it'd cause me to disagree with anyone stating "He doesn't even call himself a surgeon"

In my opinion (emphasis in my opinion - you're all free to disagree) he is a journalist. He may or may not be a good one but similar to some of the utter hacks working for RTE/Indo/Irish Times, they may be useless hacks/shills but still journalists

If yer man asks such dumb and misinformed questions then they should be able to dispatch him with ease.

He didn't ask a question, the press conference was over, he began to ask a question, no one looked at him or engaged with him.

Then he stopped asking the question because someone else was asking a question at the same time and caught the attention of Ryan.

No one walked out on him, no one refused to answer his question or half question.

In my opinion (emphasis in my opinion - you're all free to disagree) he is a journalist

No he isn't even a useless journalist.

He has an online creator for a blog which manufacturers and presents narratives that are not true.

See video in this thread for proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Exactly. If ever a moment summed up the disconnect between this government and reality that was it …. ‘let them eat cake’ … ‘who’s turn is it to use the government jet?’ ..

The feel good days of the same sex referendum when beaming politicians were tripping each other up to be interviewed that Saturday afternoon in Dublin Castle now seem light years ago, a different era.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭foxsake

but I said "media representation" not "political representation".

you do raise an interesting discrepancy - how people will disagree with the government and vote against them in a vote but revert to party lines for a GE.

I'm gonna assume the skit "but he fixed the road" was all too accurate satire.

Nope

Gript represents a decent section of the electorate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭beachhead

A sign of the partnership after the next general election and 5 more years of it

Advertisement