Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Football League 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I'm not bitter and that was before they got their goal and yes, they did score some excellent points. I'm not anti Dublin, they are the best performing team in the League at present particularly last week against Kerry. It's a general observation of mine, I hate watching all those handpasses in games when there are often clear oppurtunities to kick points from distance against a blanket defence. Instead players turn around and handpass back or sideways. It's awful to watch.

Post edited by TheRiverman on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,841 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

A blanket defence is also dreadful to watch unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The way Derry approached it they played within themselves from the start opting to soak up pressure. Dublin killed the game with the goal. I get the impression that Derry were under instructions not to overly push themselves, but make sure not to concede a big score.

In light of that I think Dublin did really well to break Derry down. I am actually very optimistic (for a change) after three of last the last four Dublin performances in particular. Mayo, Kerry and now Derry. Three different games and three different styles. Even though Dublin lost v Mayo. Roscommon game was probably the worse one IMO. As the Rossies had a fair few chances that better sides would have punished.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭dunnerc

I find it amusing that fans and media etc STILL use the phrase "blanket defence/blanket" and "puke football".

I heard one Dublin fan roaring jokingly "puke football" when opponents had the ball kept in a recent Dublin League Croke Park game. It made me wonder did he even remember who said it first?

I am nearly sure it was Pat Spillane that said the "blanket defence" first along with his "puke football" comment? 2003 Tyrone v Kerry - championship?

But it almost seems archaic now as if people don't want to accept the game has evolved beyond those negative "buzzwords". I refuse to use them. Kerry invented buzzwords?

Way back in 2015 Jim Gavin expressed his annoyance at the throwaway "blanket defence" term ignoring the more complex aspects of the game etc. It was after a very low scoring Dublin v Derry league game.

--

The bit that amuses me is that there has never been as much variation in styles in the league now 2024 version, even in a 70 plus minutes. Teams don't seem to stick to one style now they vary it a lot more than in years gone by.

--

In case anyone is wondering here is the match report of the March 2015 League game Derry v Dublin Croke Park. At half time Derry led 3-2. Not 3 goals and 2 points. 0-3 v -0-2. Final score 0-8 v 0-4

--

So believe it or not Gaelic Games has definitely evolved beyond that game from from 9 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,050 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Eh, did I say they were?

That is why I said, 'hard to assess Dublin, again',

Read posts properly and don't be so protective?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭dunnerc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

My own county Offaly are not setting the place on fire at present, but at least they are trouncing the worst team in the country Wicklow. What is Oisin McConville doing down there ? They are dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Good reaction from monaghan to the (harsh) black card and subsequent 2nd goal for Galway

What a joke of a black card. Monaghan defense is a goal sieve. Beggan a big loss

• Advertisement

I can't see how Monaghan are going to the get goals they need now. Galway are playing "game management" football.

Been fun in the top division but I think that might be it for Monaghan. We were awful today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Monaghan are a very “agricultural” sort of team. Lot of route one stuff. Caught Dublin on the hop on the opening weekend, but the results since don’t lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

apparently the in house stuff in wicklow is a bit like the FAI , get in a big name manager make the setup look the part , but have zero structures behind the scenes , apparently if anyone challenges the county board they are silenced , i have never seen a team at this level look so unconditioned as they were last week against us , today was no different by the sounds of it , it says alot about the teams in division 4 at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 24,538 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Wicklow must be the most anonymous county in the history of the GAA. Everyone else seems to have their seasons as a success story.

The county ground looks like the kind of place other counties play their January warmup tournament games in.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,657 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Wicklow had a good League in 2023, getting promoted. Leaving the mighty Laois and Leitrim behind them in Division 4. But their natural home appears to be in the lower reaches of Division 4. Other teams like Derry, Cavan and Louth have prospered after getting out of Division 4 in the last few years. But it is a bit much to put that expectation on Wicklow.

But the rest of the division 4 usuals are London or hurling counties. Carlow and Laois have had their relatively big days in both codes especially Laois.

Only really Longford come close to being anonymous across both codes.

Why exactly should Wicklow not expect to be doing as well as Cavan or Louth ?

Their inability to compete in Leinster. They never won a Leinster title, and appeared in only one final in 1897. Louth and Cavan have been much more competitive, both in provincial and League terms.

But that's little to do with why something can't be done now. What's the point in staying nobodies forever. Other counties rise and fall but Wicklow just stay on the floor it seems.

Pretty much every other county has a story about putting a plan in place and having the odd feel good period.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,042 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

If Mayo beat Derry next time out and then they both win their final game, plus if Kerry and Dublin win their next two then it will be a four way tie at the top of Division 1.

So it will go down to scoring average.

Currently

Dublin are+20

Derry +20

Mayo +10

Kerry +4

Obviously Dublin and Kerry's average will improve if they win out but Derry's and Mayo could flip depending on how much Mayo beat Derry by and how much both win their final games by.

All to play for, if the teams actually want to play for it.

Post edited by Fr Tod Umptious on

• Advertisement

The League is not a structure which lends itself to progression by the weak. Seven games for a new arrival in Division 3 to somehow get into the top two. And even if they avoid relegation, they will have 4 new contenders to compete against the next year. Looking back to when Mick O'Dwyer was in charge, they never got out of the bottom division in those years. They did win the Tommy Murphy Cup, but that may be because other counties were not interested.

I see Kilkenny were in the football League back in those day, finishing at the bottom of the heap. You may as well be asking why Kilkenny are not doing well in football these days.

"You may as well be asking why Kilkenny are not doing well in football these days"

No I mightn't as well be because I never said "football" in relation to Wicklow. Kilkenny are one of the biggest counties in Gaelic games. Wicklow are nobodies in both codes which has been my point for this whole conversation.

It is the National Football League thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Gael85

They lost 6/7 of last year team to travel/work commitments. Also lost their goalie Mark Jackson who probably their most profile player, like Rory Beggan trying out for American Football.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Gael85

When Micko took over Wicklow he brought in a couple outside lads which played a big factor in his success in Qualifier run in 09. Poached Tommy Walsh from Carlow and got Brian McGrath from Dublin under the parentage rule.

The top of Division 1 is probably the place where teams won't be too concerned about it. But the rules could be cruel for counties at the bottom of 1, or at the top and bottom of 2 and 3 and the top of 4.

League Ordering

When Teams finish with equal points for Qualification for the Concluding Stages, or for Promotion or Relegation, the tie shall be decided by the following means and in the order specified:

(i) Where two Teams only are involved - the outcome of the meeting of the two Teams in the previous game in the Competition;

(ii) Scoring Difference (subtracting the total Scores Against from total Scores For);

(iii) Highest Total Score For;

(iv) Highest Total Goals For;

(v) A Play-Off

(my comment: (ii) to (v) apply when it is more than two teams).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

A bit random. Just from a Galway perspective. Said they would need a "series" of results to be in a league final if they win their last two games is way off. The fact they have Dublin and Kerry left who are ahead of them if they won both those teams could only reach 8 points and Galway would be on 9...... all Galway would need is a Mayo loss from their last two games and they would be in a league final with two victories.....

Anyway won't happened but still!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Galway have gone from being a county traditionally associated with an attractive brand of football to being almost impossible to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Unrfeal finish for Cork in Navan.

Scoring the last 7 points to win 1-15 v 1-11

Seriously impressive.

Advertisement