Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Football League 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Dublin on course for 20 points in the first half

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭bamayang

Wish TG4 would stop showing replays and show the kickout instead, it’s the most interesting thing in football now a days.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Well worked goal

Game on

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Kerry running through them again

1-5 to 0-2 to Kerry since half time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Conor Lane playing his part in the Kerry revival.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,577 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Con O'Callaghan goal. Best footballer in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Small getting a taste of his own medicine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭robbiezero

While Kerry dont usually worry much about performances in February, there would have to be concerns about the strength of their team not to mind squad. They don't have a midfield pairing within an asses roar of the Dubs or Derry. Burke looks a good prospect, but a very poor night for the other hopefuls.

Dubs look to be getting stronger and stronger and if Con holds his current form for the season, they almost look unstoppable, although Kerry made them look very good tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Can't help thinking Kerry are trying to be cute this year, coming at it so everyone writes them off. No way they are that poor really. I'd definitely have them down to beat Dublin in a knock out championship game.

Derry, who have been coming for a while, adding Harte, look like they'll canter to an All Ireland this year. A well oiled machine just kicking into gear now. Their work rate, discipline, direction, belief etc will smoother and suffocate anyone else.

Donegal, with McGuinness, are coming on the horizon, but this year is one too soon. See, with all Dublins success, I don't think they really faced well drilled tenacious tough teams at their peak. A well drilled Harte or McGuinness team, with their tails up is a different story, as it would be if they had to face a Meath team of old.

I'd go Derry, Kerry, Dublin, then possibly Galway or Donegal this year, no point even talking about bottle jobs Mayo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I was thinking that about Kerry, but if they did - on reflection, it backfired on them. The manner in which they lost is crucial. Plus there are a lot of young Dubs being bedded in. They have already beaten Kerry. Ok it is a league game, but it is still Kerry. And not only that it was convincing win by Dublin.

Believe it or not there was a long period of about two decades, until he more recent past where Dublin never got a win against Kerry in league or championship. There were a few draws alright. But no Dublin win for a long time v Kerry.

My point is Kerry do not cave to Dublin as they might with other teams, Kerry always want to beat Dublin.

The mood around Croke Park was really telling Kerry fans were properly sickened/riled up. I have not seen Dublin fans as delighted since they last beat Kerry in the championship in the AI final.

There was a bit of swagger to this League one that made it a better "type" of win. As Kerry like to claim they have "footballers" even in the "bad" Kerry sides. So for Dublin to do that was nice, and unexpected.

Of the other teams you mentioned a fully fit Derry outfit are a side no one wants to face in league/championship. Any win would be hard earned. If someone asked me for an outside pick for Sam it would be them. Providing Glass-Rodgers-McGuigan etc stay fit. They seem to be the ideal bunch of players for the Mickey Harte philosophy.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Derry definitely the form team in div one and are safe for sure all others have a bit to do yet .I have no doubt Kerry would have wanted to win last night but they have time to regroup and will certainly be there in the summer .Think it's a bit risky for Dubs fans to be talking like we have DC's number always fine margins in games and he was near enough to two goals last night.Derry definitely on the short list for Sam though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Just watching the national league coverage there....

Bkyh the dummies Keegan and Flynn condemning the ref for the black card/penalty where Molloy almost rugby tackled the Derry lad and was penalized.

In spite of the pictures showing the foul clearly both these clowns 'ah not really a pull down' and 'not really a black card ', 'ruined the contest'.... Like WTF?

If you don't agree with the rule, then say it, but don't ballyrag a ref for calling it correctly! Refs have it hard enough, and if they fvck up call it, buy these lads given carte blanch to criticize this referee when he actually got it correct.

But, maybe I'm wrong, sure I forgot the Galway lads never foul like that......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

As much as that result might give Dublin youngsters belief facing Kerry for the future, it could equally refocus Kerry and give them the bit between their teeth back. I do think Kerry have "the footballers", there's no question of that, but Dublin have the professionalism and conditioning that is so crucial.

I remember a Galway footballer saying they played Dublin at underage level, and there was nothing in it, but those same Dublin footballers became different machines when they went into the senior set up. Fast tracked onto strength and conditioning programmes others simply can't complete with. Dublin's players became teak tough, different level of athlete completely.

That's actually what's so impressive with Kerry, to be on Dublin's level or even ahead at times, they make up the difference of Dublin's advantages with raw natural talent. If the playing field was leveled with the money Dublin have, Kerry would be miles ahead.

Until the money came into the game for Dublin, they had a brutal record against Kerry, you'd expect routine beatings everytime. Then again Dublin were just an average side for a few decades, until the powers that be decided that Dublin's routine drubbings off Meath and Kerry couldn't go on, for the health of the game in the capital.

As bad as their record was against Kerry, bar 92-95, it was even worse against Meath. Regular thumpings to the point Meath hardly seen them as a serious challenger. Bar a couple of years here and there, Dublin had been poor for decades is the reality, until money changed it, and distorted the game, but that's another discussion.

During Dublin's dominance in the decade past, they never really had a serious challenger either. Kerry's level had dropped a bit for a few years, and a flaky Mayo was their biggest rival. They never really had to face a Tyrone of the mid 00s for example, a team well drilled, defensive, tenacious and tough, where they were an absolute nightmare to face, breaking and smoothering down the game.

A shame McGuinness left Donegal when he did, as he was building something special there, and I think they would of caused Dublin huge problems, but he left and Dublin avoided that threat.

That's the problem Derry pose, and Dublin at their best never faced anything like it. And I wouldn't be so sure Dublin at their best would beat them. And with McGuinness back with Donegal, Dublin will have problems they never faced all that much, even at their best. Interesting few years ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭rolling boh

You can always say teams never faced other teams best sides you can only beat what's around at time There is always only a couple of top teams around generally at the one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

Looking at the tables Cork-Kildare is a very big game already in the season

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Rossie4ever

Ya Cork v Kildare is a massive game on Sunday. Hard one to call

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭celt262

Would expect Cork to win after getting the points last week they could have beat Cavan as well only they butchered some goal chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

A pity Derry are going to rest a number of first choice players tomorrow night. Would have been a more interesting match to see Derry going at it strong against Dublin off the back of giving Kerry a good beating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Cork should win alright.  Ben McCormack, Darragh Kirwan and Kevin Flynn are among the first choice players missing for Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Great tribute given by Sean Cavanagh for Cormac McAnallen there.

Well handled by Joanne Cantwell as well.

Edit - Sean not Colm, I don't know who will be more offended.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭munster87

This ref is a bit one sided

• Registered Users Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

What is Cavanagh allowed to advertise his company in the TV? Is he paying to do it?

Advertisement