Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Football League 2024

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66,929 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You should be on this house if we are playing Cavan or the real aristocrats.
    Have to say the damaged vanity of beaten Dubs is entertaining. Enemies everywhere 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭MacDanger

No, over the bar is the same as wide. Presumably for the scenario you mention

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭munster87

Time to grow up? It’s part of his enjoyment of watching sport! Why would you be expected to want the team that always wins to win again?
    You really take it too personally that everyone doesn’t support your own county. I’d say that’s more of a reason to need to ‘grow up’.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭dunnerc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,241 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think Football is missing a trick for more behind the scenes documentaries.

If there were behind the scenes documentaries done in the football like in the soccer. The ones I would like to see would be Dublin with Dessie Farrell's last year and a half, Tyrone under Dooher when they won Sam, and Derry under Micky Harte. Just to see how they made changes, and changed attitudes/styles.

That one Galway did way back in 98. Filmed by the sub goalie was great. The one with Paudi O'Se and Westmeath was fantastic. There is still one up of Pillar Caffery when he was managing the Dubs still on the RTE player, nearly 20 years old now. To be honest I think the rest of the country got more of a kick out of that laughing at Dublin than anything.

I get the impression that Micky Harte has not changed much from Gallagher, just made Derry even more aggressive?

Dessie Farrell has made Dublin more direct/physical, they can also fall back to the old Jim Gavin style when required.

Dooher has got Tyrone using the forwards more, which Micky Harte was accused of not doing and the players/county board seemed to have got fed up of it. But Micky Harte seems to have still got "it". I suppose as they say, a change is as good as a rest.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭rebs23

Really admire Dublin after yesterday. Couldn't believe a team and players with 9 AI medals going after a league final it like they did yesterday. Unbelievable determination, focus, aggression, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

Was Fenton carrying a niggle? He wasn't moving very well, I didn't think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭flasher0030

• Registered Users Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Thought the crowd yesterday was very low ,I know three counties had a long enough distance but the Dubs crowd was about what they would normally get .I suppose at the end of the day there wasn't that much at stake especially when we keep hearing about counties not too fussed about reaching the div 1 final .The matches on sky must have had a bit of an impact .The last I heard was a crowd of 40 k being expected .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Yeah - its not that long since we had league finals selling out; I think the Dublin Kerry match in 2016 sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

hopefully this forecast changes for Saturday. A ridiculous amount of rain going into Friday night and Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Every preview, podcast, TV and radio show over the last 2 months has done nothing but badmouth and run down the league finals, so what would you expect.

The GAA really shoots itself in the foot and runs itself.down something serious. While we're continuously being told about these great URC games between Connacht and Zebre or whoever, the unbelievable wonderful talent on view, while we consistently undersell what's a brilliant competition.

Also Its not great for the sponsors of the league to hear the constant indifference to a competition they are putting money into .It would make some wonder if they could get better value with something else .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Having finals on Easter Sunday not a good idea. Lots away or spending time with family.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Luna84

Well done to Derry. What a day, what a city this is Derry.

There's proberly not enough at stake to get people to travel a fair distance and all that entails to watch a match that is on the telly .Getting promotion or avoiding relegation are the main aims and both of them are settled before yesterday .Still doesn’t excuse the poor Dublin crowd in my view though .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭shockframe

It was on exactly a year ago last season but Easter was a week later.

IIRC it was exactly the same in 2022 so it wasn't picked as it was Easter but more the designated timeframe for the end of the league.

Might not have been that big if it wasn't played on Easter Sunday.

Great value if you did attend though. Superb Division 1 final.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

That full house in 2016 was a complete outlier. Due to the 1916 commemoration event held after the football. Last year it was 45K with Galway & Mayo plus Dublin & Derry. 45K would be the upper end of the numbers any other year.

If they lost numbers due to it being on Easter Sunday, it would have been around 10K. And a lot of them could be Dubs whose traditional Easter Sunday outing is to Fairyhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

the flipside is that Derry are very clearly the coming team, and this was the first time Dublin had played them in a match of some consequence so it made it a very interesting game for the neutral as well.

would love to see these teams meet again in the AI final.

I watched the Dublin Kerry game and the final at Croke Park - both superb matches, much better than what you;d get in the Leinster final.

• Advertisement

Rodgers and Glass are by miles the best midfield pairing in the country. Glass was still running around covering the ground even in extra time. Rodgers is a better scorer than Glass, only negative against Glass is he should be scoring more.

It will be a terrible come down after that league final of Derry v Dublin. And having to watch Leinster where you can hear the seagulls chatting to each other saying "not much of a crowd or atmosphere today".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Quitelife

lot of marchs and parades on in Armagh & Derry in particular Easter Sunday and bit of an impact too in Donegal & Dublin .

Advertisement