Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold spell - 14/15th January onward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Footpaths are lethal. Slush ice mix in parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Went from this

To this

The show is over😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

Ya me.

Had to cancel run coz the warm weather hasn't even came here. Only 3c and snow n ice still on paths. Maybe tonight.

Damn u Atlantic. Where are you? I like weather events like a snowy day or a stormy day. I start moaning when they go on. That's 3 days now with snow and ice. Kids love it though making a sleigh with a biscuit tin (don't ask) will be a good memory for them so I'm glad for them just selfish. Ben Bulben had fresh snow last night.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

If only we could put a continent the size of Africa between Ireland and Canada that would work, imagine how better our summers would be and indeed winters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,507 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Goodbye blue sky and sun.

Hello wind, rain and muck.😔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭mcburns07

The rain is back in Cork….

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'll be happy with some non freezing temperatures for a bit. Unless we're going to get some snow, i'll pass on the sub zero temps

Went running n my hands are purple.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I always wear gloves when running in temps under 5C. While the rest of your body warms up from the running movements, your hands and fingers remain fairly static and especially exposed if you're running against the wind or even a light cold breeze and just never warm up!

I ran yesterday morning even though it was -1c but somehow it was less icy whereas this morning everywhere was much more icy and whiter even though it was a shade milder. The air must have been more moist despite zero precipitation. I skipped my run this morning as it looked a lot slippier and dangerous but still spotted a good few out running. I'm more risk averse!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Enniscrone Golf course still covered at 4.30pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,609 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Great while it lasted. I think the whole country benefited from the additional exercise over a dry crisp and often sunny 2 weeks. Give me a January like this every single year. The birds will get delighted with the thaw.

Great stretch in the evening too.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Totally agree

Sorry - I was agreeing with somebody who said they would miss this weather because it’s so nice to be out and about in

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

Snow cover over Ulster and north Connacht visible in today's NASA MODIS satellite shot. The snow cover is in line with the original thread starter post so this cold spell turned out as forecast a week ago today. It's the absolute head wrecking output that preceded that period that ultimately raised expectations amongst coldies for something more interesting. All in all, a somewhat notable cold spell compared to our experiences of Januarys of the past 20 years or so.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭mcburns07

The snow cover and general temperatures in Scotland are such a perfect representation of how close we are to getting snow on many occasions but unfortunately almost always on the wrong side of borderline.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

First bit of rain in a while in cork city about 20 minutes ago. Normality resumes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,609 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Another positive about very cold weather like this week is that any temps in double digits will feel positively balmy!!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭bazlers

So when is it going to snow again in Ireland Wolfe 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Let's have a competition about it. I will say February 11th courtesy of storm Emma the sequel. Go big or go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭bazlers

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

The True Size Of ...

Knock yourself out. Spent a few miserable winters on there thinking... only if!

• Advertisement

I know what you mean Eibhir. It actually worked a bit but the biting wind wrecked me knuckles.

Still a lot of snow on the ground but when you run on it it's not as slippy as when you tread carefully on it

Note now the wind and some rain is here and temperature has gone up to 5c nearly all snow has vanished.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Glad to see the back of it, but with very stormy weather to take its place.

Not looking forward to that either.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Bye bye, cold spell, I will miss you. 😪

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Normal service resumes thankfully. Like others have mentioned its nice to look at for a day or two but then you realise its costing the gdp of a small country to heat your house the novelty starts to fade.

We're lucky not to have prolonged spells of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

11 degrees at Valentia at 10am. perhaps time to close this particular thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Billcarson

I'd rather pay the extra money then look at the muck that is already outside. Anyway surely cold bright weather is better for mental health then gloomy dull skies and rain all tge time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Advertisement