Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold spell - 14/15th January onward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭sundodger5

I was having my doubts for a while but it delivered in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭sundodger5

If you can get some sand, Even a sprinkle over the snow gives a big jump in traction. Have to do the driveway some years as the trees stop the sun from thawing it out. Even a shovel full every couple of metres apart will do it

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I'm so jealous of you all with your lovely snow pics!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Status Yellow - Snow-Ice warning for Donegal

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Further snow showers leading to some accumulations.

Valid: 12:00 Thursday 18/01/2024 to 06:00 Friday 19/01/2024

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Poor December 2022 spell not even getting a look in? 😋

I don't have every number beside me but from the ME monthly statement -

Low of -8.8c (so a round -9) at an official synoptic station, so probably had some locally colder on the WOW site which are often quoted on here.

11 stations with ice days. 4 stations with two consecutive ice days. 1 station with 3 consecutive ice days.

A daily max of -3.1c on the 12th in Cavan! A multitude of severe frosts away from the cloudier parts of the east.

Now is snowier than Dec 2022 anyway, but colder? Not sure just yet. But you're right that it's up there!

Looking at the 1pm observations, I'm actually surprised. No ice day today at any official synoptic station. I see only two official observation stations on WOW holding out for an ice day, Abbeyfeale ACS and Glengarriff ACS. You'd think some of the stations with snow further north and north west could have pulled it out of the bag. Cork got very close yesterday to an ice day at the official stations.

Actually while I'm digging - I know the 2022 spell missed the target because of a lack of snow and was consigned to the non-memorable bin, but it really was a tasty cold spell. Below are minimums for Mt Dillon, no snow cover:

EDIT: again, this one might end up similar...combining the frosty nights of last week into this week. I know much of the East wasn't getting many frosts last week but other parts did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I remember a bucket of ice being frozen outdoors all week but that's it! Amazing how you only remember the snowy ones properly. Very surprised it was that cold tbh. You live and learn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Snow is king, exactly! I'm very much the same and need the number to jog the memory at times.

Sure the event thread for Dec 2022 was page after page of posts saying there was no cold, standard winter fare every year etc. etc. When in reality, it was pretty damn cold and something December hadn't seen since 2010. I think Dublin sat between 0.2 - 0.7c for three days running which really is not common round our parts. Snow seals the deal really, and you can get that vibe sometimes when it's not snowing in someone's backyard that it = a non-event.

I think I posted here the other day about seeing on Netweather that someone in the north had 5 days of lying snow last January! And no one on here would go, ah yes - the cold and snowy January 2023. Hard to keep track of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,808 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

indeed my -7.7C from 16 Dec 22 hasn't even been threatened this week (-4.4C Tues 16) N Tipp

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

There was a slight thaw. Reached +2. Managed to drive the car a few feet to the next driveway up the hill and turn back down. Parked in a neighbours yard on the main road. With the thaw today and tonight's freeze it will be lethal driving down the hill in the morning.

Won't be much fun walking down either 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I remember west Dublin having a good coating of snow for several days in early Dec 2022 even though it was one snow shower on the Thursday evening (Dec 8th) that didn't melt for a few days after. We had a week of frosts after if I recall with some really deep hoar frosts that were so thick, they looked like lying snow on the ground. That was a notable winter event in my book! This current spell has had 10+ days of frosty weather now which is unusual. I think we've done OK for variety. It'll be back to mild muck at the weekend.

• Advertisement

Moderate snow at the moment, some heavier bursts mixed in. Edit very heavy now huge flakes

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭littlema

Nephin from our road today. Some small showers this afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Last night

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

It snowed very heavy here the past hour , I was surprised it lied because there was a slight thaw, there's another inch. main roads aren't great, main road between Ardara and Killybegs is blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

With the length of those legs, you'll walk to work in no time!

Letting out some air from tyres actually gives you better grip but then you have to drive with semi deflated tyres until you refill them. I'd say you'll manage the downhill in 2nd/3rd if you use the grass margin for grip. It's too long a hill to throw sand down. Uphill might be the trickier bit unless you got good momentum before you took the hill. Again, use the margins for grip.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Get the margins wrong and I'm in a ditch. 10 km to the nearest petrol station. We'll survive the walk down in the morning and hope it's all gone by going home time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

What's the snow depth with you now Senor Pangea?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Ros4Sam24

First flakes of the winter in North Roscommon now, had lost hope after last night 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Incredibly clear night in south Dublin, you can really see the star link satellites running past the moon as if they were all towing each other across the night sky!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Dazler97

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I feel your pain, although I did get one 15 minute shower early yesterday morning. It's like Blackbriar said some time ago, some places get stuck under a shower train for hours while other places nearby can miss out. A slight shift in the wind direction can make all the difference too. Hopefully we will have another Northerly before winters out which delivers for both of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Maybe next month but even the shannon froze this morning was -6c last night

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

We only had one shower of rain today and some more light freezing rain but little of the ice and snow melted in our estate so the kids are happy. It's great to get a little bit. That's all we want.

Kids just said it's snowing again. Very light it has to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

My daughter was trying to make a ball out of frost today. Made a little frostball. That's how deprived she's been of snow lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

It’s the kids I really feel sorry for here in the snow starved east.

Since the BFTE and then the mini beast around St Patricks day in 2018 the only other times I can think of when they might have been able to make a snowman or have a snowball fight was 24 January 2021 and a few days in early December 2022. open to correction though.

Delighted for kids in the north and west that got some snow this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭almostthere12

Just looking at the data from my weather station and the temperature has not risen above 10C since the 3rd of January with 9 of those nights going to 0C or below. A fair few of the other nights, especially last week, didn't go below 0C because of cloud cover.

Fairly impressive for Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

There was a heavy snow shower around Glenswilly / Churchill and into Letterkenny around the time of your post, lasted a good 45 minutes.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Well after a frustrating start, I eventually made my way to Donegal today but not for what I wanted to get. I got something even better, couldn't believe it. The stunning Donegal landscape shrouded in low cloud with snow and blue hour too - probably the best time of day in my opinion for these kinds of shots. A very successful chase. Will remember this day very fondly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I didn't get any snow but I'm happy enough with this spell, plenty of crisp sunshine and hard frosts, at least it actually felt like winter for once. I could see from the train that the canal was frozen towards Leixlip. There were some smaller frozen patches around Ashtown/Pelletstown too. There was also a properly frozen stream near Leixlip reminding me of what I saw in Iceland. The second photo was taken in Newcastle near Casement on Monday, another great day.

Advertisement