Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold spell - 14/15th January onward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Stunning @sryanbruen, we take it for granted up here sometimes.

Silver Strand over by Glencolmcille is worth a visit. Only became aware of it myself 3 or 4 years ago. Looks stunning any weather or any time of year.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

Agree, I love this weather over East, good hard frosts, seasonal weather and the lot. For me snow can look beautiful, but can present difficulties for some folks. It’s ok if you don’t have to venture out in it. We have the usual service resuming this weekend … rain, wind, damp … can’t wait…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Looks like last night was our coldest night, tonight has a different feel about it....temp not really dropping, in Cork anyway. Still very cold but not going to be -6

• Registered Users Posts: 16,422 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Amazing picture @sryanbruen, are you a professional photographer?

Whether you are or not you should enter that into a photography competition. It looks like what you'd expect in the Alps.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Mooro

Beautiful day around Co Offaly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭almostthere12

It will be interesting to see how low it goes, low of -4.1C for me last night, -6.4C the night before and currently at -3.4C tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭squonk

North Clare. Cold here tonight but not as severe as last night. Just had a slight shower of rain. Even ME are forecastibg temps to go positive here after 3AM. Thst shower felt to me like the beginning of the end really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

Minus 1.8c currently in Sligo, 1c in Finner,

The mild is filtering in but one or two areas will still challenge the minus 7c figure I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The visibility today was superb. I could see the contours on the Maumturk mountains which are many miles away.

It really has been a glorious start to 2024.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Tullow is at -6.6c presently. www.carlowweather.com

The coldest spot of the night so far.

With high pressure building/ridging I think parts of the south and southeast will challenge last night's -8.6c in Thomastown, Co. Kilkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Athenry -4 since 8pm. Another cold one for East Galway.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Good few -6s in West Cork and Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

The Final Round of the Irish Winter Open.

After 9 holes, we have a new leader from The Dolmen County with Tullow going 6.2 under heading into the back 9. Thomastown and Athenry, the overnight leaders, failing to carry their ice cold form through to the final day.

Tullow (-6.2)

Killorglin (-6)

Millstreet (-5.9)

Dunmanway and Tulla (-5.7)

Limerick Junction (-5.4)

Thomastown (-5.3)

Malin Head (+2.7)

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

-4 now . North Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 16,422 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

No luck in Kildare but this thread has been great craic. Thanks to @WolfeEire, I'm glad you got snow after keeping the dream alive to the end.

I'm hoping to make the leaderboard in the next Irish Winter Open. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

noticeable whiter roads tonight compared to recent nights. Extremely slippy. D17

Clare (410ft asl)

Thanks @Leg End Reject

One more pic from my snowy corner of Clare before the inevitable drip drop drip tomorrow afternoon. Jupiter and a skewed moon shot (tips please @sryanbruen 😛).

Enjoyed the thread too. I may actually have enjoyed the chase more (ps...that damn mild sector).

I think I'm like a dog chasing down the wheel of a car. Wouldn't know what to do with it were I to catch it.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Dazler97

-4c here in carrick, I'm gonna miss this cold spell but next on to my 2nd type of favourite weather its storms

Clare (410ft asl)

The slow, terminal dilution of the cold airmass over Ireland has begun with a returning polar maritime airmass seeing temperatures increase in Atlantic coastal spots. Mace Head in Connemara at +6c is a full 12c milder than Moore Park (Ireland's Vladivostok) in Cork at -6c and 8 degrees warmer than Athenry in the east of the same county (Galway). Embedded cold and calm conditions in Moore Park and Athenry, along with their inland location, negates the milder airmass whereas there is a gentle to moderate SW breeze at Mace Head.

Post edited by WolfeEire on

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

-8.2c Millstreet cork 4am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Condor24

Another hard frost in North Offaly this morning, the last for a while it seems. Here, at least, this spell won't live long in the memory, nice and dry mostly, quite sunny, some hard frosts, decent mid winter conditions but no snow unfortunately. Trying to look beyond two weeks to see if there a reload on the way. No idea tbh. Traditionally if the winds were from the west at the very end of January, early Feb, winter was nearly over. Very unscientific naturally but I'd say it's borne out in the stats.

I might add I can't remember going this long into winter and not seeing a flake of snow at this location, we'd usually see something in December or early Jan, even if brief. Nothing so far and unlikely for the rest of Jan.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Moore Park reporting -7c at 0500.

In bigger news managed -0.1c in Greystones. Another win! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 23,488 ✭✭✭✭zell12

and 6c at Mace Head. A 12 degree difference 150km apart.

Edit: point already made above

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭almostthere12

Currently coming in at -6.5C south of cork city, got to a low of -6.8C an hour ago so beat Monday night / Tuesday mornings cold……….still an hour to go before it might reach its coldest!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭ongarite

Temperature never got down as low on east coast last night, low of -2 here.

Birdie at the last by Dunmanway to win the tournament?

And then Thomastown gets an Eagle....

Actually both Thomastown and Dunmanway have since recorded -8.5 at 6.30am and 7am respectively! All down to whether one of them has one last drop in them at the 7.30am observations. That'll be the last chance one imagines....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

Moorey (mcilroy) Park hit it Into the water at the last and only managed a -7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Was -5 this morning and a nice brisk walk down the hill with the family to the car.

A van passed us on his way up and became unstuck at the same spot. Tomorrow it will be a distant memory 🤣

Advertisement