Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold spell - 14/15th January onward

Options
  • 12-01-2024 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭
    Clare (410ft asl)

A very cold spell of weather is expected from later Sunday through the following week up to Friday at least, with an anticipated return to less cold conditions next weekend.

This thread enables us to discuss pre-120hrs and post-120hrs model output without diluting/separating the conversation in the other pre-existing threads.

This spell of weather has been signalled by model output for the last 10 days + and, in fact, has been touted as a strong possibility by the UK Met Office the week leading up to Christmas. Significant anticipation had built up due to talk of a PV split and solid Greenland blocks. Expectations have subsequently been tempered by the present outlook of 5-6 days of very cold and relatively dry weather. This is not 2010 nor is it 2018 and expectations for same should be dropped. However, cold spells like this in January have been as rare as hen's teeth over the past decade and therefore, merits a thread of its own.

As things stand (Friday afternoon pre 12z runs), the forecast slow moving and relatively unstable northerly airflow will likely bring snowfall across Ulster, west Connacht and Munster and perhaps further inland, while any troughs that pop up would widen the risk area. These finer details are days away from becoming clearer and can be discussed here.

Daytime temperatures will hover around 2-4c in all but exposed coastal locations (slightly higher), and will invariably struggle to get above freezing in some locations due to a variety of, as yet, difficult to forecast conditions e.g. existing snow cover, freezing fog, inversion etc. Shaded spots away from the light northerly wind will likely to stay frozen throughout the period and untreated road surfaces will be tricky to negotiate.

Met Éireann and @M.T. Cranium are suggesting a less cold solution and this thread is in no way set up as a challenge to their forecasts.

Beyond next Friday, conditions are expected to become less cold as the Greenland High dissipates and a mobile, cold zonal Atlantic pattern takes over (based on current guidance this afternoon). This is a long way off and will be subject to change.

I will continue to report what the models are saying for my part and I look forward to an interesting week of winter weather.

Enjoy!

www.x.com/wolfeeire

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭littlema

As posted on another thread.....tis cold out there. Temp steady all day at 2.1c under heavy cloud but with no wind thankfully.......and this supposed to be on the mild weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭pureza

I'll weigh in the snow or no Snow debate

I think anywhere that usually get Atlantic showers in a North or North westerly at any time of the year will see snow showers next week and I expect this thread to fill with snow reports from those areas

LetterKenny will be a sweet spot as will Derry mainly because this is one of those flows that's not a transatlantic mixed northerly or northwesterly it's a true polar sourced air flow and travelling from where its come from and the route, it will have enough surface cold to keep the precipitation as snow

Also adding places like Tubercurry to the sweet spots and any western fringes with northerly coastal exposure

Areas like that should be able to peg snow balls and build snowmen no bother by next Friday in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

The ICON just rolling out is underwhelming I think. -6 uppers are about as good as we do for all bar Monday (and at all down here!)..... No snow to speak of on precipitation charts either

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

UKMO updated long range mentioning renewed blocking and cold in the period from late January into February. Next weekend's expected less cold turn is backed up by the medium term element of the forecast.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Billcarson

The next chase. Lol the weather is trying to mess with our heads. Though one would imagine being an el nino winter Feb might deliver something good. So perhaps the next chase should bear more fruit if another chase does indeed transpire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Really feels like the UKMO stick their necks out more that Met E in these type of situations? Maybe I'm being overly simplistic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The UK Met can be way more confident because they cover Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales and eastern fringes of England where disruptive snow is likely at times where as for Ireland it's a much more marginal situation generally and our geography is very poor for northerlies.

We have to rely on troughs/convergence lines/polar lows forming to give wintry precipitation and these can pop up at short notice so Met Eireann have to be cautious with very little in the way of precipitation showing currently on the models, this will hopefully change and surprise us later next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,606 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

You give us hope WolfEire, that's all you can do. And hope is wonderful. 🌨️🌨️🌨️🌨️🌨️🌨️🌨️🌨️🌨️

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Clare (410ft asl)

The GFS 850s mean is about 1c-1.3c colder than the 0z mean from Wednesday morn through Friday. It is a tad less colder than the 00z on Tuesday afternoon and night as I explain below. An upgrade overall for cold.

That mild sector (best visualised through the below 85s table) on Tuesday continues to show up on the GFS, UKMO and ICON 12z and is much more progressive in these op runs than the 00Z. It doesn't have much of a bearing on daytime temps (staying very low), but it's not as conducive for snow from any showers feeding into northern and western coasts. The greatest risk of snowfall continues to be Ulster and western counties.

Aside from the above, the 12z GEFS mean is colder than the 00z from Wednesday through Friday.

Wednesday and Wednesday night temps below. That is based on the op run. All very much subject to change.

All show a breakdown on Saturday as anticipated with the 'dismantling' of the Greenland High and an intense low spilling out of Newfoundland. Interestingly, the GFS has a more an easterly tilt to the jetstream rather than the ENE tilt of the 00z so it doesn't get quite as mild as @VILLIAN has alluded to as a possibility in the 120+ thread. The jetstream shifts more southward as the GFS op run goes on into that week leaving us in a very mobile and somewhat cold zonal pattern.

By the beginning of the following week we are in a relatively cold and raging zonal pattern.

Finally, the GEM was a milder op run than the 00z. I will post the ens when they are out to see where the op lies.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Not much snow away from Scotland on that GFS run with Atlantic air mixing too much, temperatures across the north-west look too marginal for snow so snow restricted to the hills of Donegal on this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

BRING ON THE SNOW!!!

🌨️🌨️🌨️🌨️ 🌨️🌨️🌨️🌨️🌨️

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It would be sort of funny if the cold zonal period-assuming the GFS is even correct- gives us more snow overall. Was it in 2018 that heavy snow showers pushed well inland from a cold westerly that was returning arctic air sourced from Greenland? Granted in that scenario you aren't going to have powdery snow or snow that stays on the ground for days, but you could get a temporary half decent covering in that scenario.

That was my once in a lifetime where I actually got 6 to 8cm of lying snow from a north-westerly. How it worked for me was I got extremely lucky, the winds were much stronger than usual and I benefited from the shortest possible wind landtrack between Sligo Bay and Meath. Normally the winds are either sourced from the north or Donegal or NW Mayo/Galway with longer land tracks. I'm putting my luck down to the shortest possible landtrack combined with very strong winds.

Clare (410ft asl)

The GEM ensembles mean for 850hpas (explanation of what 850s are here) largely mirrors the 12z GEFS and is colder than the 00z from Sunday eve to Tuesday morn and Wednesday morn to Friday morn. It is a little more progressive with the slow warm up Friday PM on though. That mild sector is again cropping up. It is unlikely to have much of a bearing on surface temps but does make any shower activity on Tuesday PM into early Wed more marginal for snowfall.

In terms of precipitation you will notice the difference in totals between Letterkenny and Dublin. These charts are based on this run and will change.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Another disappointing 12Z GFS run, if it's snowfall you're looking for.

Atlantic is still indicated as roaring back but now shifted from late Friday to Saturday afternoon - the only positive I can see in this run.

Tuesday's mild sector will probably be enough to turn any patchy precip to freezing rain.

After that it's cold and dry until the Atlantic steam rolls the cold away.

Not getting excited about a three-day spell of -5c nights and 2c to 3c days - which is just a regular colder than average winter's day for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Northern Ireland already in a warning for snow on Monday hopefully donegal, sligo ,Mayo, Leitrim cavan and monaghan being added

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭mcburns07

The obsession with the breakdown is so frustrating, just enjoy the bloody weather next week and let's see where we're at Mon / Tue when it comes to any breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Showers streaming down on the Northerly wind but many places dry . Id expect a snow/ice warning from Met Eireann for Sligo Donegal etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Good luck to those in the north, northwest and west next week. Really hope you get a few cm of snow.

It is quite disappointing that the rest of Ireland probably won’t see any snow based on the current output. Subject to change of course.

I just hope the Atlantic onslaught does not last too long when it comes back next weekend. Seeing the purples to our northwest on the afternoon models is rather depressing.

UKMO outlook does give us hope for February.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Reversal

Or the repeated insistance on saying Monday to Saturday is only 3 days :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Ros4Sam24

@Dazler97 Carrick always looks well when it's white 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dazler97

It absolutely does 💯 hopefully we get a cm of snow ❄️ that's all I'm asking lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

Donegal is probably the only county in the Republic that will get snow until later next week. Too dry in that Northerly set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Alan Carlow weather posted this at 5pm ish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Cork Snow shield will be up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Yes because it's not a raging easterly some posters can't wait to downplay this upcoming cold spell and wish it away as quickly as possible. Most winters we struggle to get frost,let alone snow. We are in for a week of hard frosts and very low day time temperatures,a rarity these days imo. Let's just enjoy the dry crisp weather and see what happens after that. Its so much better than the mild muck we are so used to,I can safely say the majority hated that so why not just enjoy the next week🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Do u mind me asking what part of tipp that happened? because in my area I didn't see one flake of snow in Dec 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

That UK met office outlook can change as well. Let's face it outside of 5 days forecasts are very less certain. Yes they can see trends but specifics for Ireland or the UK are very difficult to tie down.

Advertisement