Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold spell - 14/15th January onward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭almostthere12

Where do you find those observations on met.ie? Thanks

Hit a low of -7.3C here, didn't expect it to get that low here unless the weather was from the east and there was snow cover.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Roads tricky in Galway this morning but another fabulous sunrise in progress.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Managed -4.4c at 8am this morning in Limk City.

A bit lower than usual for the Southwest as we're normally at the milder end of temp. ranges during these cold spells.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Gonna miss this weather, so much nicer for getting out and about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Indeed. I managed more long 5k walks in the past week than I've done for the previous three months. Lovely days for getting out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,808 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

N Tipp -4.7°C overnight, lowest of this spell. I'll be delighted to see the end of it.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭highdef

It looks like Thomastown is the winner with -8.7°

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Had to drive my kid to school there. At his school (at near enough sea level) the car temp was -5c. I went up a long hill then (rise of ca. 90m in altitude) and in the space of that two min drive the tenp rose to -1.5c. As clear an example of a temp inversion as you'll see. Mad all the same, so counterintuitive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Kutebride

-3 Meath

Not long back from a morning run. Took advantage of that sunrise and lovely white scenery.

Do we batten down the hatches now (only for weekend?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

-8 on the cars this morning.... love the sunny blue skies but it is seriously cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

I’m already looking for the next cold snap or spell. Hopefully we won’t be waiting too long. As Nacho said a day ago, it would be great to get a seamless countdown to the next cold spell. No major wobbles along with some snow for the east coast!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Keep in mind many of those wow stations are not official weather stations and don't have proven accuracy.

I recall yesterday morning Kerry airport reporting -9°c, I wonder how low it actually got with the decimal place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Numerous neighbours without water due to frozen pipes this morning in an estate in cork city suburbs, luckily we still do. Estate is north facing so footpaths have been frozen with that white ice since the spell started

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Should have known. When it comes to Cork v Kilkenny, as the great Ringy put it (or it could have been Jack Lynch), Kilkenny win all of the classics. Of course that opens the argument as to whether this was a classic cold spell. To mix my sporting metaphors, some would argue that while it was a good cold spell, it wasn't a great cold spell. More of a Platini than a Beckenbauer if you will...

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

11c difference over 100 km in Cork with Sherkin Island at 7c and Moore Park at -4c. The milder weather will steamroll in through the afternoon. Like it's never been away

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Cloud building up , I am just wondering if the rain will make it this far. I really wouldn't want to miss out on it.

The frost and sprinking of snow is hanging on for now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

one final lovely morning here in Meath, parts of the garden have 3 nights worth of frost so looks very white in the shade. No doubt this will all be melted by this evening with the mild muck approaching very quickly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Fingers crossed. It will be so disappointing if we don't see a flake of snow this winter. The last fall of measurable snow was in 2018 for much of Leinster which must be one of the longest snowless winter periods ever. One of my neighbors kids doesn't even know what snow is like, he's 7 and was too young to remember 2018. To him snow is something that just happens in the movies and printed on Christmas cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭pureza

That's such a shame with the wicklow mountains less than an hour down tge road

• Advertisement

I guess a lot of parents just don't want to be dealing with driving to a mountain to see snow with slippery roads especially in areas they are not familiar with.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭pureza

Glenmalure is always packed with parents and kids

I put down the lack of visiting local hills mostly to ignorance tbh

People will fly to ski but won't drive to snow and you don't have to get stuck on the Sally gap

Even Avondale forest Park will have snow a couple of times most winters

Ditto Roundwood

Both easily accessible

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Melt has well and truly started in cork. Sun is hitting the cars and ice is melting right away, footpaths defrosting for the first time in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Thaw is underway but feels colder with the breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭almostthere12

Temperature has risen from 0C at 10:30am to 6C now......the temp was going up this morning faster than it was dropping yesterday evening. Hasn't reached 6C here since Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Fyi the Moon is looking cool out to the east..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭Speak Now

A glorious week, the accumulation of nightly frosts in areas shaded by the sun was a thing of beauty. Ended up looking like a light snow fall in these areas in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,291 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I've a few great shots of my young fellas with an 8 ft snowman on Jan 24.. Rare enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

Temperatures have increased by 11.5c at Moore Park in Cork over the five hours from 8.30am to 1.30pm (-6.2c to +5.3c).

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Damn you Altantic, damn you to hell. I wish the North Atlantic drift would just shut down. Although some posters after a while might change to searching fi for sign of mild weather in that scenario🤔

Advertisement