Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2024 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭con747

Avoid like the black death. Way overpriced and that company are renowned for it. Have a look at some of these https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058234656/renewable-energies-forum-key-threads#latest

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 markkelly9999

Just saw this. Thanks for the advice, this is a great help. Ive come to the same conclusion that it is worth the wait. My shed is also perfect - new galvanise roof, large, south facing, and its a tool shed that already has the exchange box. What sort of quote did you get? Ive gotten a total of 3 quotes - all close to the one in my opening question...Expensive, but with TAMS, still well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 markkelly9999

No there are no extra works to be done - its a really straight-forward job. Thats good news about being able to export. I'll get more quotes but so far 3 quotes, all similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Sounds like the crowd I got the quote from too. If we refer 7 people who buy then you get refunded our full fees too.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭FFVII_npc

In a Facebook group I read, theirs a company that has those T&Cs and one of the people that used them said they wouldn't honour it when he refered the people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Seventy Plus

They can be beaten, and they gave me a bad quote.

I do not think there should be reference to such company

After all we are not suppose to name companies and this is close to the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Seventy Plus

We all know who those people are. Run eight miles from them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

Hey folks I'm looking at getting some solar panels on the house and have gotten 2 quotes that are almost identical except for the solar panels used.

Both quotes are for 10 panels, Huawei 5kW hybrid invertes, Eddi hot water diverter, and online monitoring.

Company A is quoting, after grant, €6,800 (-approx €300)

Compnay B is quoting, after grant, €5,300 (+approx €350)

Company A includes a BER which I will be getting anyway to cover some other works I'm getting in the house and they have said they can take approx €300 off the price. Our house is a 3 storey house and company B said their scaffolding doesn't go to 3 storeys which means they will need to hire a crane or similar and in their experience this adds €300 to €350 to the price. So after these are taken into consideration the price difference will be approx €850.

As I mentioned above the main difference is the panels company A is offing Trina 430W glass on glass panels and company B is offering 435W Jinko N-Type Glass on foil panels.

So the main difference seems to be glass on glass vs glass on foil panels. I've been finding it hard to get independent info on glass on glass vs glass on foil the main benefit seems to glass on glass degrades slightly less and is more likely to protect against harsh weather. Since I live on the west coast close to the sea where the weather can be really bad and I wouldn't mind spending the extra bit of money if they were going to be more durable in the long run.

So I'm wondering does anyone have any experience of the glass on glass and if it's worth the extra €85 or so per panel. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭d1980

Hi All,

Can U get your thoughts on below prices? Im based in Limerick but supplier works round the country. Separately, does anyone have any thoughts on battery? Are they worth it? In our situation, we use gas for heating.

Thanks in advance for any comments on either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

is the inverter from option 1 a hybrid? if so it will give you the flexibility to add a battery in the future (off the shelf batteries are pretty much plug and play but more expensive than DIY batteries which require a certain level of technical knowledge).

i personally have a similar size set up without a battery. i'm going to see how things go before the onset of next winter before deciding if a battery is required. They are a big outlay and the "business case" doesn't stack up with FIT tariffs at their current levels, that may change though if FIT falls significantly.

as for value for money plug it into the calculator http://davidhunt.ie/solar/

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

Thanks for this. The inverter from option 1 is not a hybrid. Appreciate the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭tommythecat

On the battery I would slightly disagree with the above post. I think it very much does add up If you have a very cheap ev night rate like .08c. Then you are getting 5kw of electricity every day for 40c instead of 1.85. In winter or on a bad solar day then you still have that 5kw for early morning and will carry a bad day.

My situation for example is I charge It every night and I used it for all the morning routines. That usually means it drops to around 70%. Then the solar tops it back up before selling to the grid. Then I have the battery for all the evening cooking etc as the solar will be gone by then. On a good day like yesterday that battery ran the house until 2am just when it started to charge again on the night rate. So I am buying in very little day rate.

But everyone has different priorities and situations so you need to just work that out for yourself. Everyone is going to have a different opinion.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

5kWh is a small battery and you would need to have fairly low consumption to stretch it the way you have. fair play btw that's pretty impressive sweating of an asset.

in my own case i have an all electric house, consumption at the moment is hovering around 18 to 30kWh per day (depending on temperature)...a 5kW battery wouldn't make much of a difference. as things stand i prefer to flog all excess i generate to offset the cost of imports.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

Absolutely. Everyone has their own needs and you need to assess them and not rely too much on others.

I would say that the battery does a few things. It's more than 5kw in reality as it's constantly discharging and charging during the day so in reality on a good day it could be delivering 8KWH or more so it's not just a set figure.

It also steps in during the day when the loads are high due to cooking or washing machine and covers what the solar can not cover. So it stops you dipping into day rates.

Today is a great example of that as it's a good solar day. There has been washing machine and dryer, cooking going etc and battery has covered when the solar wasn't enough.

The battery has dipped to 70% then back up to 100%, then back to 60% and now it's back to 80% and all the while I haven't used any day rate. This should now get us through the evening cooking etc.

We are a 10-15KWH house per day if I discount the EV charging. (This is done on the .8c rate at night)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭DC999

you're selling me the idea of getting a battery 😅

I'm live 1.5 years now and don't have a battery. I will probably get a prebuilt one later this year, but one closer to the DIY price like Fogstar Energy 15.5kWh 48V Battery l Fogstar UK.

That 'learn and then act again' approach works for me. If it's bought the battery from the installer on Day1, I'd have overpaid big time. It's all part of my learning!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Paying for the battery from the installer is a bit of a sting. I'm getting priced at €4,200 for 2 x 5.3kWh batteries as part of my system. solarboss charge just under €2,100 for a battery, so I don't really mind paying for the pro-install just to get everything running. Going through the DIY process is something I am sure I will do down the road.

Stay Free

• Advertisement

My Quote. Dublin

BASE SYSTEM (€5000)

3.915kWp (9 Jinko 435W panels)

Solis 5kW Hybrid Inverter with 7" LCD panel

STORAGE (€4200)

2 x 5.3 WECO R20 Batteries

ADDITIONAL (€800)

Consumer Unit Replacement

Tails Upgrade to 25mm^2

TOTAL €10,000 after grant.

The additional work wasn't required as part of the install, but I want to have this done anyway. I will have the ESB charge of €180 to pay for tails connection.

Stay Free

4kWp system is small-ish. I'd suggest get larger if the roof + budget allows. If it's South facing it will produce close to 4000kWh a year (rough rule of thumb). If it's an E/W (like I have, it's ~75% output of a South). I've a 5kWp system and could use more but roof is maxed out.

A house uses anything from 3000kWh (for a lean house) upwards a year. EV uses ~2000kWh for 15000kms driving a year. Electric heating uses huge times more than both of those.

Looks decent enough, I love the way installers say things like "with a 7" LCD panel" as if your getting something special! Or the best one is "Free lifetime monitoring" which is free on most inverters!

Last year we used 15,000kWh. 65% night rate. We are a 2 EV home. We have gas central heating and a stove for a bit of winter luxury.

9 panels is the max I could fit on the south facing roof. The batteries will be used to charge on night rate and supplement the days use which I average to be 15kWh.

I will add another string to the shed roof when I extend it later in the year. I reckon I could easily get another 6 or 7 panels and another 4 if I place them onto my flat roof extension, but I may want to keep that roof for solar thermal. Still working out the best option.

I added the 7" panel comment. I noticed some of the quotes just had the more basic solis inverter with the tiny lcd readout. I made sure the proper inverter was quoted for.

Stay Free

That would be the string inverters with the small readout, the hybrids have the bigger one.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭9400

Any chance you could PM me a couple of names please?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

See the name of the thread: Home› Topics› Home & Garden› Construction & Planning› Renewable Energies›Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2024 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

Hey folks I think my last question explained in a bit of a convoluted way so I'll try to simplify it in this post.

I'm based in Galway and have 2 quotes that I'm trying to decide between, here is a pic of the 2 quotes.

Both are pretty much identical the main difference seems to be glass on glass vs glass on foil panels. I've been finding it hard to get independent info on glass on glass vs glass on foil panels. The main benefit seems to glass on glass degrades slightly less and is more likely to protect against harsh weather. Since I live on the west coast close to the sea where the weather can be really bad and I wouldn't mind spending the extra bit of money if they were going to be more durable in the long run.

So I'm wondering does anyone have any experience of the glass on glass and if it's worth the extra €85 or so per panel. Thanks

I’d recommend use the €850 saving to get more panels based on back of the envelope maths. An unshaded south facing system will get ~430kWh per 430w panel per year. Ok, there’s more to it than that, be that’s just ‘there or there abouts’ based on the overall output of all the panels you’ll get installed.

But a 2% reduction in performance on 20 panels results in only a 172kWh drop (or 8.5kWh per panel). So….get more panels to offset any potential deterioration.

A standard 430w Jinko panel is €70 ex vat now to a member of the public if they buy in bulk.

Btw, I have glass on glass panels in suburban Dublin. I feel I was oversold them as a premium product. It gave me confirm 1.5 years ago when getting quotes. But once they were on the roof, it matters less.

• Advertisement

i live 30 mins from the sea...not exactly coastal but i went for standard panels. personally if i was you i would go with company b.

you'll save 850 euro, gain 50 extra watts and any corrosion or degradation concerns will be covered by the 30 year performance warranty. if you google the jinko n type panel you'll see an article from australia talk about how they have excellent resistance to sea mist.

Advertisement