Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2024 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options
  • 31-12-2023 9:05pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Couple of changes for 2024.

The max grant has now been reduced by 2400 to 2100.

It it not currently clear how this will effect quotes but we'll stick with the standard for now:

Boards users have recommended a rule of thumb of €1.2k per 1Kwp + €1k per 2.5Kwhr battery, including VAT, after grant deducted. This is not a precise rule and quotes are often more, with some slightly less. However, the rule will stop you getting rolled over by one or two companies who chance their arm and quote prices several thousand over the rule of thumb with little justification.

Solar PV FAQ

List of Solar PV Installers used by Boardsies

David Hunts Quote Analyser - Can give a quick calculation of all the variable, but by no means a hard and fast rule

Mod Note

As per forum charter, install companies can't be named. If you are happy with your supplier and would like to recommend them, contact us and we can add it to the above list

We have become aware that certain posters may be recommending suppliers in exchange for financial reward. This runs against the spirit of the forum and is dishonest.

Please be aware that if you receive an unsolicited PM recommending a company and offering a referral code for discount, this is not an unbiased recommendation and that person may be receiving payment for their referral.

If you do receive a PM like this, please contact @graememk or @Jonathan

Post edited by graememk on

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

reservered #1

reserved #2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭con747

Looks like we can't wish members a happy new year on the new thread so.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Seventy Plus

How Many Quotes should you get?

When I first looked into Solar PV I thought I would be getting three quotes.

But I knew nothing about the nature of this industry.

In the end I got around fifty quotes.

Get plenty of quotes and be very wary of what you read on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Seems like a reasonable price but I asked for a quote on 4kW as I have a budget of around €5k and already have 1.2kW so their quote is completely useless for me...

*Company Name*

6.88kW for €7,330

16x 430w Jinko Panels

5kW Solis Inverter

No BER

Mod note, we can't name suppliers, forgot to put that restriction in the first post. It's now there.

Post edited by graememk on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 samcr440!

What are peoples thought on this price. Price is everything fully installed only other extra to pay at the end is for BER assessor. Am in Donegal

14 x JAM54D41-435/LB 435 Watt Panels (JA Solar)

1 x S5-EH1P5K-L (SOLIS - Ningbo Ginlong Technologies)

Total System Price €9,850.00

SEAI €2,100.00

Purchase Price €7,750.00

extras available to me

• Hot water Diverter - Eddi = €685.00
    • 5kw battery Pure Drive   = €2,900.00
    • additional Panels       = €300.00

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭Breezy_

Nothing special. Pretty much every quote you get will be like that. He's to high with extra panels, should be 200, eddi should be 600. That battery apparently has more life cycles in it than the dyness at €2000. Dunno if worth the extra.

But their are installers out there doing that quote for 2k less on the regular. But none i know of in your neck of the woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 samcr440!

Thanks for the info will do some more pricing around and see what else I get. Might trying to haggle with him a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭kmb

Hi All,

I go a quote today in Cork for the following:

12 x Denim 4.3 Panels

1 x HUAWEI Hybrid Inverter

Ber will be done

VAN DR VALK Mountings

NO EDDI

House is east -west.

Price after grant €7750.00

Is this a good price or should I shop around?

All feedback is welcome.

• Advertisement

Hi con747,

What would be a good price to pay for this setup in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

I think that if you are impressed with the company / sales team and you like what you hear / see (not including price), go back to them and haggle. I've had 7 quotes now, all ranging in different prices and spec. I've chosen a supplier who I know is reputable and will do a good job. It was not the lowest quote but I am satisfied that 1. they are not cowboys and 2. that I am paying approx. 1.2-1.3k per KW. I could have gone as low as 1k per KW but I had no faith in the company providing that quote. Another factor was, that the company of choice, had to have their own employees installing the system. When you ask that question, you realise that some companies outsource the whole lot to other providers.

Final words, dont be afraid to haggle if you are happy with the company who supplied to quote. All they can do is say - No.

Battery, yea or nay?

Pros/cons?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

Trustpilot is a useful start. Look for Facebook, X and LinkedIn and see what their activity is. Find out what the name of the actual business entity is and carry out a status check on the business via solocheck.ie or another such site - costs about €5. Search for reviews on google for the named company.

Trust you own instinct from when you met them face to face. Ask all the relevant questions and see how they respond.

Make a phone call to their offices and see who answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Just started looking and this is quote number one. Dublin based

Jinko 14 x 435 Watt Panels (JKM435N-54HL4R-B) -- 6.09 kW Total Solar Power

Solis 5 kW Total Inverter Rating (1 x S5-EH1P5K-L)

Fox Ess 5.32 kWh Total Battery Storage (1 x Fox-LV52)

Includes BER

11,100 // 9,000euro after (2,100 grant)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Generally speaking is there much of a difference to be found between different Hybrid Inverters? (and batteries)

Solis for example generally seems to be cheaper than others like Huawei but is there a reason for this? Also we got one quote which includes Sungrow inverter and battery but this seems to not be commonly supplied so hard to know if there are any issues with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Started getting a few quotes, I'm potentially interested in microinverters, Gary does Solar really sold me on them.

Main advantage I see is the easy way to add more panels. I kind of hope to do add some in the garden, mounted on side wall facing west, and would hope to DIY it.

I also quite like the extended warranty on them, pointing to a far longer life.

Most suppliers don't seem to do them, so far only 1 has quoted me for them, little bit over 2k extra for a 14 panel system compared to standard inverter.

At that much extra I'm not sure its worth it.

One supplier did say I could get string inverter to start, and then add extra with micro inverter myself. I had thought you couldn't really mix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 GReid2005

I have the Sungrow SH5.0RS Inverter and SBR9.6 Battery, I specifically requested this when I was looking for quotes as it fitted the requirements I had. Install was November 10th 2023 and I'm delighted with the system, its so easy to navigate the system and alter system parameters to suit your needs. If you've any questions on them just ask.

Are people still paying deposits?

I finally got a decent quote but she wants 50%...

No way im doing that. Not a chance.

Hi All,

I got another quote yesterday, what do ye think?

Install 14 No. 435W Jinko Solar Panels (System Value: 6.09 kWp)

25 year product & 30 year Linear Power warranty

Supply and fit Van Der Valk mounting system with 10 Year Warranty

Huawei Sun2000 5KLT inverter with 10 year Warranty

To complete this Solar PV installation, an earth rod box will be installed.(€500)

Supply and fit Dual Array(€449.00)

Ber (€400)

€9,400.00 all in after grant inc Ber and earth rod

NO EDDDIE

How does this compare?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Seems a little high, look at my first quote above and I got pretty much the same system PLUS battery for the same price.

I've also checked with another company - they offered me the following for 10,250euro / 8,100euro with grant:

14 430w Jinko panels, Weco 5.3kwh battery and Solis 5kw inverter

They were pushing for a 500euro deposit and then will do a site visit. I mentioned I wouldn't pay a penny for a site visit, they arranged a site visit the next day with no money down. I ended up cancelling as after delving into their reviews. It seemed their install/products were good but their aftercare was meant to be abysmal!! Everything in their TrustPilot reviews were perfect but when you looked at their google reviews, there were a huge number of unhappy people in the last 6/9months with aftercare/issues following up. Caveat Emptor!!

Apparently hot water in the middle of winter. Every dairy farm in the country uses these...

Why are they not in every house in the country???

2 year payback time...why have I only just seen this? What am I missing?

Its solar thermal, Or solar tubes, just packaged up differently. And most dairy farms dont use them. A lot are still on immersions...

They are very good at heating when the sun's out. 70-80% efficient vs 20% of PV.

Why don't people throw up a few of them when they're getting PV on their roofs?

Generally, PV is a lot easier. And a whole different skill set.

Solar tubes generally need a new DHW tank (with a high efficiency coil at the bottom), pumping station and then run them pipes from the roof to the tank.

• Advertisement

Would the water in that unit be hitting 50Cdegrees on a day like today??

FB post I read there says yes...really?

Advertisement