Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2024 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭con747

Neither of those will work on a Huawei inverter AFAIK. Only the Huawei Luna and I think Lg will work with them.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

@KingPanko Mine can sustain 5 and do spikes of 7. I have 10kWh on a 6kWh inverter. What the installer said is possible; but only if you split the two BMS units accross two separate inverters.

the only real option for huawei is to use their own brand batterys with their inverter.

note that there is a new product line coming from huawei soon (next month) where the battery modules are 7kwh each rather than the 5kwh modules the sell.

if you pair 2 x BMS with a single inverter you will just get the 5-7kw discharge rate.

be careful with the charge rate though. You will only get 3kwh into the battery’s with certain inverter battery combos from huawei.

That’s right. I’ve never seen anyone use anything other than the huawei battery with a huawei inverter. You would have to go out of your way to find a supply of the lg battery in Ireland. And the performance isn’t as good as the huawei so it’s pointless.

huawei is designed as a closed ecosystem.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭michaelheno

I use about 5000kw yearly just looking at solar installations. Would it be worth doing a 7.5kw system with say 10kw battery storage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

List of quotes from a number of suppliers below, there was a few more contacted who either didn't get back in touch or were only doing certain areas, I'm based in dublin. I've included colum with calculation based on david hunt and then ratio of quoted to recommended, so lower is better. All quotes are before house survey so might change a bit but I would expect them to change by similar enough amount.

The only one that actually beats it is with an 8.2kWh battery which I think is larger than I need and might not be able to fully utilise. Quotes are for between 12 and 14 panels as I am kind of borderline.

Obviosuly when it comes to making decision brand and reviews will come into it but price is still probably the mian factor.

There was 1 quote with microinverters as after watching Gary does solar vieo on them I was quite tempted but I don't think I can justify how much extra they are for the advantages they offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭theboringfox

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭michaelheno

Cost after 10,400

any thoughts on price and equipment used appreciated

mike

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

A word of caution, it's a 6kW inverter which likely means it exceeds the max 25A allowed by ESBN.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

That's the installers problem 😂 if they can make it work on the form all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 KingPanko

Hi @HotSwap

Thank you for the above, I was asking my installer does he have any suggestion for inverter, battery combinations with a higher discharge rate, he then told me that Huawei have new inverters out, they now have 3 phase 25KW Hybrid inverters which would be ideal for me and that this inverter would allow a discharge of up to 25KW even when matched with LUNA2000-5/10/15-S0 battery. The inverter datasheet does say that the storage discharge can be 25KW however the battery datasheet states that the output is 5KW, peaking to 7KW. I do not understand how the inverter could do this without the BMS capping the discharge at the 5/ 7KW per BMS.

Do you (or the other people in the community) think that what the installer is saying is accurate?

I have attached the two datasheets for anybody interested.

Ask if he is basing that only on the data sheet or if he had previously seen this performance in real world?

my strong suspicion is that it’s a typo in the data sheet of the inverter. You can’t even achieve the full 5kW output from a single 5kWh module; you need to have 2x5kwh modules to be able to discharge at 5kw.

my advice is to phone huawei and ask; they were very helpful to me several times. Alternatively you could phone SKE and ask (they are hiaweis support partner in Ireland.)

you might need to pretend your an installer and that you never worked with huawei before and trying to figure it out for a customer that specifically requested that.

i have DM you the numbers for huawei and SKE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭con747

I would think once their not installers it should be Ok to post the numbers? @graememk @johnathan

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Yeah manufacturers support details are perfectly fine (or the designated support company)

Good advice @HotSwap, thank you

I rang Huawei, basically the inverter can take 25KW from storage but the BMS of the Luna2000-15-SO will only give the inverter 5KW per BMS, peaking to 7KW for a few seconds. Therefore to get a sustained 25KW one would need 5 different battery BMS. I don't need 25KW sustained discharge but like to understand the capability of the system, I have to say that the installer was misleading telling me I'd have 25KW discharge with this inverter.

5kW per bms if the BMS has at least 2 x 5kWh modules. If you have a BMS with just one 5kWh module it can’t do the full 5kW discharge rate.

do you know do you still daisy chain the BMSs into the inverter for this? I’ll have a look at the install guide.

yeah, I really don’t believe anything I’m told by a sales person. Always double check. He might not of been doing it in an attempt to mislead you; it might have been his own lack of knowledge he was showing.

doesn't really go into a lot of detail.

it does have two sets of battery inputs though. Which my 6kWh unit and 10kWh 3 phase unit only have 1.

how much storage are you aiming for?

If you got 2xbms with three modules each you would be getting 10kw (14kw peak) and have 30KWh of storage.

would that work for you?

We will give the installer the benefit of the doubt and say that he was mistaken after a quick glance at the datasheet, the moral of the story is try to understand the technology yourself rather belief what a salesperson tells you. I am also finding it very interesting so happy to be reading these things and learning new things.

As I understand it yes you can still daisy chain the BMSs into the inverter up to a certain level, I must check what that level is.

Day 1 I am planning for 30KWH storage but may increase it in the future, if I get a smart meter I would increase it to avoid the peak tarriffs (they are currently not installing smart meters for 3phase supply as far as I know)

I have not been given any better options to Huawei (multiply installers including ones who offer all brands are pushing them for 3 phase commercial usage, saying that they are the best) so assuming that I stick with them, I will either do 2 BMS with 15KWH each or 3 BMS with 10KWH each so that I could discharge faster and add more capacity in a year or so without too much cost. A constant discharge of 15KW with some spikes over it would cover a lot of my usage in the evening.

Nice. Would love to see that 3 BMS setup actually deliver the 15kw as promised.

Is your supplier sure he can get hold of that new mb0 version of the inverter? Seems brand new and not listed with any Irish supplier I have checked.

only last thing to mention if I didn’t already was ask about the new 7kwh Luna battery modules. There is not any concrete date when they will be available. But it’s going to be soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 markkelly9999

Newbie question here. I have a farmhouse, beef farm and an airbnb in Ireland. We use about 8500kWh per year. Im looking at installing 18 panels on a large south facing farm shed that would provide electricity for the farm, farmhouse and airbnb cottage. I will be applying for the TAMs grant rather than the domestic grant. With TAMs, I cannot export back to the grid.

All these quotes include labour at €2,500.

I got 3 quotes for solar panels:

Option 1

Solar PV System

18 x 410w Longi Panels or 410w TW Solar Panel

1 x 5kw Solis String Inverter

1 x 5kw Wecco Battery

All Rails, Screws and Clips for all installation

Cost: €12,450.00

Labour: €2,500

VAT @ 23%. €2,863.50 on €12,450.00

VAT @ 13.5% €337.50 on €2,500.00

Total: €18,151.00

Option 2

Solar PV System NO Battery

18 x 410w Longi Panels or 410w TW Solar Panel

1 x 5kw Solis String Inverter

N.B. Can Add Battery Later

All Rails, Screws and Clips for all installation

Cost: €11,000.00

Labour: €2,500

VAT @ 23% €2,530.00 on €11,000.00

VAT @ 13.5% €337.50 on €2,500.00

Total: €16,367.50

Option 3

18 Jinko Tier One, N Type 435 KWh panels on slate

Solis Inverter

Dyness 9.6KWh Battery

Cost: €22,515.68 (including VAT tax at 23%)

The panels have a 20 year warranty and the battery a 10 year warranty.

Im new to this and Im trying to work out if its worth it - here are my calculations for Option 1:

The number of sunlight hours where i live (Tipperary) is 1307 per year. So i did the calculation: 1307*410 (watt rating of panel) *18 (num panels) *0.8 (performance factor) = 7716 kWh.

So then Annual Savings=7716.53 kWh×€0.33/kWh=€2546.45

That means that over 25 years and at a panel degradation rate of 1%, I'd save €56,576.77 on electricity.

Since the battery has a 10 year warranty, it will probably need to be replaced at a cost of €1783.50 every 10 years - which is a little over what Im saving per year.

That means a total system cost of €19,934.50 and with maintenance of, say, €7500 over 25 years, total cost would be €27,434.50.

I will also be applying for a TAMS grant.

So with savings of €56,576.77 and a cost of €27,434.50 over 25 years, Option 1 seems like a no-brainer. However I have been warned off solar panels (without really being given details as to why). Am I missing something? Is this as big a no-brainer as it seems?

Post edited by markkelly9999 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭snowcat

I got a domestic quote without the battery for 18 panels for half of quote 2, BER EDDI included.

Basically your a large domestic install (although should be a little cheaper due to the steel roof)

All very expensive. Your looking for 1-1.2k per 1kw of panels (at the end up)

Couple of notes,

Vat rate for domestic is zero, and for non domestic it's 13.5%

Supply only is 23%.

Where is the 21% coming from?

Flat rate farmers can claim vat back on solar installs though.

Have you looked into the TAMS grant/started the application? The seai one could be a lot more straightforward.

As for calculations, stick the proposed array into this

https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/#PVP

It's pretty accurate.

Without battery I'd say self use would be about 40% with the export being the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭idc

You might want to check the quotes thread https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058329045/domestic-solar-pv-quotes-2024-no-pm-requests-see-mod-note-post-1#latest as other people with similar or larger probably getting better quotes than that. [EDIT guessing mod moved this as now in this thread!]

Using JRC Photovoltaic Geographical Information System (PVGIS) - European Commission (europa.eu) with an arbitrary location in Tipperary and optimum slope/azimuth the best you would generate is 6542.86kWh. This will also show you potential generation per month.

You also have to take into account you won't use all that, in the summer you'll have filled the battery and will likely export a lot of what you generate. but at least with FIT you get paid for export. Also at the end of 10 years the battery will still work but may not hold the same charge as it did when you bought it. Like the panels it will degrade over time.

Post edited by idc on

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭smpillai11

sorry for the noob question. . The quote is for 14 Panels. I have some part shade due to trees from morning to noon. The roof is south facing

The solar edge quote includes optimizers for each panel. I would appreciate if you can let me know if these is good value?

Also is the sungrow without optimizer is any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pagan22

is it me or are these prices getting silly,was interested in getting solar but having second thoughts

Thanks for the comment.

Ok I went back to the solar company and clarified the quotes. Tax is a combination of 23% for panels and 13.5% for labour. I have updated that in the question.

So at €1.2k / 1kw I should expect a price of €8856 (€1.2k * 7.38KW) for the panels, but I got a quote of €11k. This may be because the company knows Im applying for a TAMs grant. As with all grants, contractors add on more. But I will get ore quotes.

I used that website (very useful btw thanks) and Im see kWh of 6711.12. So I redid the maths and I get € savings of €49,205.22 over 25 years.

You say "Without battery I'd say self use would be about 40%". What would you say it would be with a battery? Is it too simply to calculate as 6711.12/8500 = 78%?

Fair to say that in your experience, a solar panel system for me would be a very good investment, but that I should look for cheaper quotes?

Thanks. Ya it looks like the quotes are expensive - contractors probably adding on a bit because Im applying for the TAMs grant. Went on that site and Im getting 6711kWh. I'll look for other quotes but even these expensive ones look like a good deal, factoring in electricity bill savings. With TAMs I cant export btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Hi Guys,

Looking to confirm this quote is reasonable. Based in Dublin. Ready to pull the trigger after cancelling last summer.

3.9kW system (3,800kWh estimate per year)

9 x 435 Jinko Black Panels

5kW Solis Hybrid inverter

Price before grant €8450

After Grant €6400

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭tommythecat

A bit on the expensive side. Is the BER included?

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

BER is included. It's broadly in line with quotes I was getting last year for 8 panels.

Stay Free

Advertisement