Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2024 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

Thanks for the advice, I'd love to add more panels but to be honest I think that even getting 10 on my roof might be pushing it. Though based on some of the recent discussion here I might look into putting that 850 towards a battery that I top up at the night rate to save more on my costs throughout the year

Thanks for the advice

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I got 5 quotes in total for my solar needs. After filtering through them, looking at reviews I have narrowed it down to 2 places that have good google and trust pilot reviews generally, but they offer different model equipment at very similar prices. I am leaning towards one based on some research I've done, but input from here would be appreciated too.

Quote 1

12 x 435-watt Longi HI-MO X6 Panels

Dual - Huawei SUN2000-5KTL-L1 (5.5kW)

Price (including BER and after grant) - 8349

Quote 2

12 Jinko Neo N-Type 435W Solar PV Panels

5kw Solis Hybrid Inverter

Price (including BER and after grant) - 8475

I won't be getting a battery for now, but may in future. I believe the Solis is more versatile for adding on battery later if wanted? Are the above much of a muchness really? Any reason to prefer one over the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭con747

A bit expensive for both, I would keep looking. The inverter depends on a lot of things but the Huawei is restricted when adding batteries in the future. use the calculator to give a rough guidance on prices. http://davidhunt.ie/solar/

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Yeah, they're both on the high side. When I was asking for quotes, I told them what equipment I wanted with regards to panels and inverters. Made it easier to compare them. I also think doing so shows them you know what you need and are shopping around, so you shouldn't get crazy quotes.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

the only reason i would go for quote two is as you said it gives you more versatility when it comes to adding a battery. however something to note with the solis is the throttling issue when it comes to discharging a battery. it will discharge at 100amps but after 15 minutes the brakes are applied. not sure if the Huawei throttles.

perhaps other boardsies can throw some light on the Huawei discharge rate and whether it throttles?

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Company Im thinking of going with soon is seeking a 50% deposit of the full price of the installation not including the grant deduction. They say they fill out the paperwork for the grant but the grant is later paid to me after the post installation BER is complete. Is this all normal, bit miffed Ive to unexpectedly to find an extra €2,400 even if I will get it back in a few months time.

Also any tips for how to do due diligence on an installer, theyve very few Google reviews and I cant think of where or how to figure out what theyre like.

Can you pay by credit card or PayPal so you have the safeguard if anything goes wrong? I paid 30% up front 2 years ago but it was a company highly recommended here so was fairly at ease doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Why would you go with a company with very few reviews when there are so many companies with an excellent track record and tons of reviews online.

Why would you give such a company that much money with absolutely no safeguards? Am I missing something?

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭deezell

Agreed. If they're trading correctly, they'll be getting stock on account, and will have plenty of time to pay their supplier after the job is finished and the customer has paid. Upfront means they're operating on cash payments, though the grant process puts them firmly in the revenue front window. If they'd asked for half when the hardware arrived on site, that might be OK, but I'd want to see the panels mounted first, then I might feel covered. Loose materials easily moved off site.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 raymikemc

Strange question for people. When does a quote become too low and likely a company are planning to cut corners. I've 3 companies undercutting each others bids and not sure when bottom will be bottom...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭eggerb

Would appreciate opinions on how a pre-grant price of €15,400 sound for the following 5.655kW system with 10kWh battery storage, EV charger and backup solution:

• 13 x 435w JA Solar panels (JAM54D41-435/LB/1500V) 

• 1 x Solis 5kW Inverter RHI-5K-48ES-5G - 10 years warranty

• 2 x Puredrive 5kWh batteries PSII-5kWh-BAT 10-year warranty/10,000 cycle (Total 10kWh) 

• 1 x change-over switch wired back to the distribution board for backup (not just a socket beside the inverter)

• 1 x Zappi car charger 207TW

Tiled roof, two-storey house. No BER cert.

€15,400 pre-grant

€13,000 net after SEAI grants of €2400 (€2100+€300)

I would try get nearly a couple of grand off that.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Seems way over priced. Keep shopping.

I've found the Facebook group for Irish solar owners invaluable as well as this board.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

Thanks very much for the feedback con747 and keno-daytrader.

Including the Zappi and the changeover Switch sort of threw me but €15,400 (pre-grant) did seem expensive. I expect it's in the region of €14,000 (pre-grant) without both of them allowing €400 for the changeover switch and €1000 for the Zappi but maybe I should be allowing more for the Zappi (even as part of the PV install). Still a bit luke-warm on the Zappi .. have a PHEV so don't 100% need it now but of the mind to get it all done now rather than getting it at a later stage.

With Huawei equipment, I am looking at €1,200 extra on top of the €15,400 (pre-grant).. bringing the equivalent with Huawei equipment (incl Huawei backup box & changeover switch) to €16,600 (pre-grant).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭DC999

You can use an outdoor plug to charge the PHEV instead of getting a Zappi. Afaik PHEV can only charge at a slow speed, something like a max of 3.5kW. So the outdoor plug won’t be much slower most likely. Will save 1k on Zappi (~ 1.5k supply and fit but then you get a small grant back). Aside: If you’ve a PHEV and don’t charge it, you’re losing the benefit of it. I’d suggest charge the PHEV to 100% every night. We do that on our old Leaf that has a short range.

Bear in mind a Huawei inverter can only use a Huawei battery or LG Luna. @HotSwap is the only one here afaik with full Huawei setup - inverters and batteries and the changeover switch. 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

I'm not sure on 10kW batteries, 5kW would be loads, use the grid as your battery (export tariff)

Regarding Zappi, are they that useful? Charge EV at night and export at a higher rate by day.

Why do people bother with changeover switches? Power cuts are rare in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭DC999

In Dublin, where I live, power cuts are rare. Had only 1 unplanned one that 1 recall in 4 years (since WFH) and only lasted for a few hours. Will never make the cost of changeover switch back.

But some people that are rural here have said they can get 5 plus a year and can be multi hour. If you're a fully electric house......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Doubt anybody gets 5 a year TBH.

I'm rural and it's very infrequent anyway.

Even at that a few hours later and it's usually back.

I have had 4 so far this year. I usually get anywhere up to 10 per year. So it does happen and without the changeover switch I would be sitting in a cold house with no way of cooking apart from a double socket which I initially had but found it was too restrictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭idc

Likewise in North Dublin in a town not rural we tend to get 2-3 power cuts a year, and thats over the last 4 years or so. Wife and kids love the fact we can still cook watch DVDs during powercut. (note the DVD bit - as in powercut we lose broadband/cable TV!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Just to help you on that. I've just gone with a company today after getting quotes from 10+ companies. They aren't the cheapest by far but I think will do the best job and picked up on no earth rod etc that all other site visits didn't see. I'd say I could have got another €2,000 off with other companies if price was your main stickler.

20x panels

Alpha inverter

10kw Batteries (2x5kw)

Upgrade from 5 year to 10 year warranty on inverter

Zappi Charger install

€16,600

€14,200 (-€2,100pv -€300 EV charger)

Thanks everybody, much appreciate the posts.

Interesting comments on the need for the changeover switch. Limited experience of power cuts myself but if I could get the changeover switch done for €400 like one seller quoted, I think that would be worthwhile. (Not €400 with Huawei equipment though.)

I plug my own PHEV in every night but just tempted to get the EV charger now to avoid messing with cable runs at a later date. I want a cable long run (~20 metres).

What were ppl charged here for the Zappi as part of the PV install? (Hopefully there was some savings). Has anybody just had the cable run?

Post edited by eggerb on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Just got an PHEV myself and the hassle of the trickle charger at the moment. Can't wait to have it on the wall outside to plug in anytime the car is parked.

Zappi Car Charger: €1450 + VAT

Then you get 300 SEAI install grant back

AFAIK it should be zero rate vat so there's that saving in itself if fitted with the installation unless that has changed. The changeover if costing €400 is something I would go for but that's only because of my outages here so it's really up to you if you think it will give you a benefit or would a double socket running off the hybrid inverter backup suffice.

Yeah, one installer today offered the socket beside the inverter option. Could definitely work for me if not as clean as the changeover switch. I took a plug off the gas boiler years ago to fit a smart switch. I’d need a plug back onto it for the extra long extension from the attic to the utility room!

Wireless EV charging will be a milestone. Just drive up onto it. Bit away for most I think though!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭deezell

Wireless transfer of energy is hugely inefficient. Why do you think there's a fan on a wireless fast phone charger. Blame Nicola Tesla for putting this idea out there a century ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

Just got a quote for the following, seems expensive compared to yours.

19 x 410 Watt Panels (UKS-SM144-410)

5kW of Inverter Power - SOLIS - Ningbo Ginlong Technologies

1 x S5-EH1P5K-L

5 -year Standard Warranty

Tethered Zappi

€14,175 pre grant

I don’t have a cylinder as I have a combi boiler, not sure if this is the best setup.

I’d appreciate any feedback on this.

I don’t know what type of panels they are.

Should I be adding anything else like batteries and/or changeover switch.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

If your doing huawei don’t get a zappi get the huawei car charger.

Also the backup box is about 450 ex vat at the moment. I would highly recommend getting that and having the ability to power your entire house (or select circuits) from your battery’s and panels in the event of a power outage. It saved me on Christmas Day of all days.

the huawei gear really isn’t that much more expensive than comparable equipment from other brands. Post me a list of what your getting and I’ll price it up for you so you can have some data to negotiate with.

Advertisement