Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2024 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

People keep saying panels are cheap and to look elsewhere if they're charging a few hundred for one but it doesn't seem to be a case of "ah sure they're on the roof anyway, it will cost you nothing to add them"

I haven't seen a single quote from any reputable company offering less than €1k/kWp, if panels were cheap surely the price would scale past 4-5kWp?

The price guide is around €1,000-1,200/kWp. If I'm quoted €5k for 5kWp or €6k for 6kWp that's in line with the price guide but you can also get €4k for 4kWp, so why isn't it just a case starting at 4kWp and paying €100/panel or whatever it is to get from 4kWp to 5-6kWp? They're already on the roof when you're getting 4kWp, so why is it still €1k/kWp when you're getting larger installations?

Not here to argue or anything, I just keep seeing people mentioning how cheap extra panels are but haven't seen a single quote reflecting cheaper additional panels. Trust me I wouldn't be trying to optimise my old panels if I could just pay €300 for a few new panels...

• Registered Users Posts: 22 MTK_1966

Hi, I have a quote here, is it worth going for? It is a string inverter.

Non Battery System

6.56kWp of modules kitted to a Renac 5kW String Inverter

16 x REC Premium 405W Monocrystalline TP5 modules (All black modules)*

Bisol Mounting system on a *Slate Roof (*Price may vary on roof type)

1 x Projoy Fire Safety Switch

AC Switchgear

Renac 5kW String Inverter

Costing

8,400 Final Cost before Grant Incentive

-€2,100 (SEAI Grant)

6000 Final Cost after Grant Incentive

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

Companies have to make money of course, but they're making some margin on the panels. Charging triple if not more of the cost price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭deezell

Materials for a 5kw non battery system easily less than €2000

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

Seems a great price. Given the size of the array would you not consider a hybrid inverter in case you decide to add a battery down the line?

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭DC999

I agree with you – that gets pushed a lot here at times. Panels are cheap, but……labour is the opposite.

If I had a company, I wouldn’t do work for free. So I can't expect them to either.

That said you’d expect to see some reduction if you’re making the system X% larger from their initial quote of € v kWp. That’s part of the negotiation when getting quotes. 

A 430w Jinko panel is €80 plus vat to a member of the public. Installer are getting discounts and there is no vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Core6

I know that I am responding to a relatively old post, but today is quite sunny here in Dublin. My south facing thermal solar panels (40 tubes) are reading 32 deg.C currently (the air temp is about 7deg.C)

There were some days in January that were sunnier and the panel temp was probably higher.

As a guide, 32 deg.C is not really hot enough for a shower but it is very close. The solar coil is very low in my 200 litre hot water tank so should raise the whole tank to that temp in a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭idc

That companies hybrid inverter is typically an AlphaESS Smile5 which has proprietary batteries but are cheaper than equivalent Huawei batteries (if you were planning to DIY batteries). I expect they could sell you a hybrid Renac but any quote posted here it tends be the Renac for simple string inverter and the AlphaESS for hybrid.

New quote for:

14x Jinko 435w panels

Solis 5kw hybrid inverter

5.1kw Dyness battery

Installation

No BER

€9150 excluding grant

€7050 total cost to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 justmcguire

Quote for:

16x longi 410w panels

Solis 5kw hybrid inverter

"Battery ready"

Installation

No BER

€10795 excluding grant

West cork

Keep looking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 plasticfish

it's been like that for a long time in a lot of technologies. the antidote is to pick your price point, and get the best kit you can at that price point, and don't look back!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I've had 3 solar quotes so far for my east/west oriented house. I asked about battery as well as I am still undecided about that part of it, and got not just different quotes, but pretty different advice on most suitable system also. House was built in 2017, A3 rated at purchase, has air to water heat pump, all electric house, usage in the last 12 months was ~5600kW. I'm in East Meath.

I'm waiting on a couple more quotes in the next few days, and will do some checking online for reviews, etc before deciding, but Quote 1 looks to be in the lead so far to me (whether with or without battery), but they didn't send someone round, it was done based on accessing street view, and sent a pdf with projections and assumptions, etc. Any help in deciding would be appreciated.

Quote 1 (with battery).

6.88kW solar system with 5kWh battery storage €9,600.00

Jinko Solar Tiger Neo JKM430N-54HL4R-B (430W) 16 (incl.)

Huawei SUN2000-5KTL-L1 (5.5kW) 1 (incl.)

Huawei LUNA2000-5-S0 (5kWh / 5kWh usable) 1 €3,500.00

Balance of system (incl.)

Network pre-approval (incl.)

Installation & labour (incl.)

Van der valk mounting (incl.)

Subtotal incl. VAT €13,100.00

Included VAT €0.00

Total incl. VAT €13,100.00

Seai Grant −€2,100.00

Total after Grant €11,000.00

Quote 1 (without battery)

Same as above - €3,500 (so price was €7,500)

Quote 2

This crowd said I really should have a battery, so that's what they quoted me. I don't have a formal written one, this was a verbal quote given during a home visit.

4.3kW solar system (10 panels, 5 front and back)

5.1kW battery

Price after grant and discount for having a sign up outside was €9,900

Quote 3

Another home visit, but a more formal quote afterwards. This guy said I really don't need a battery and just need more panels.

Install 18 No. 435W Jinko Solar Panels (System Value: 7.830 kWp)

25 year product & 30 year Linear Power warranty

Supply and fit Van Der Valk mounting system with 10 Year Warranty

Roof inspection & wind load analysis

ESB Connection

Safe Electric Certification

Free Lifetime System Monitoring

All the above: €9,169.00

Huawei Sun2000 5KLT inverter with 10 year warranty. This converts the DC voltage generated from your solar PV panel to AC voltage so it can be used to power your property.

€3,959.00

Supply and fit Dual Array

€449.00

Building Energy Rating & SEAI Grant Management (BER assessment - Required for SEAI grant)

€400.00

A discretionary discount has been applied to your quote

-€1,397.00

Subtotal

€12,580.00

Total after SEAI grant of €10,480

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bornalady

That is a very good price compared to anything I’ve gotten. Can you PM me the supplier please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭Breezy_

8600 for 16 panels...total rip off

Their are suppliers doing,

14 panels, ber, battery, eddi for under 8k. With grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sparesandwiches

First time post here but I’ve been looking at this forum and this thread over the past while which has been really useful in getting up to speed on solar installs.

I had a salesperson call out to the house yesterday from a long-established energy company to give me a kerbside quote. I had asked about installing ~6kW system with hybrid inverter and eddi, and for a price with or without a battery as unsure if it would be worth getting. Our house is East West orientation, based in East Meath with annual use around 8,000 KWh (both WFH) and own an EV.

Now this lad told me a lot of stuff, was bashing Eamon Ryan (fair enough if that’s what floats your boat but know your customer!), that the solar grants would be gone next year and even doubled down on this one when challenged. Said I could only install a 4.5 kW capacity inverter, that I absolutely needed a battery because retrofitting one at a later date would be very expensive and would require a new inverter be installed. He then said his company do not install eddi anymore as they are causing thermostats to go on hot water storage tanks and are not worth the hassle they are getting because of this.

He then quoted me €15,000 for 16x420W panels (“price is for 15 but we’ll throw in another one for free”), 4.5kW inverter and 5kW battery before the grant.  

This is the first quote we have got for a solar install, needless to say it won’t be our last!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Don’t waste your time with any of the energy providers for solar quotes. I had three quote last year. They hadn’t a clue and were double the price on average compared to the rest.

Stay Free

Yeah, jog on from that sort of waffle. Find the next quote.

The company in Enniskillen can't be beaten on price from the quotes I've received.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭tommythecat

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Advertisement

The themoststs going is a new one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Retrofitting a battery later is not expensive or difficult - provided you get a hybrid inverter in the first place.

Theirs a brilliant FB group. Ill link it again later.

Though looking at it made me not want to install panels on the house as awful botch jobs are veeeeery common ruining peoples roofs. Nor put the inverter or batteries in the house either as i see a guy on there went up looking for something else and the unit was melted and smoke coming out of it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Just got a quote in Dublin

12x Jinko 435w TVUNORD panels (Was told legally they cannot fit more than 12 which I smell waffle on)

5kw hybrid inverter

5.1kw battery

Installation

No BER

€12900 excluding grant

€10800 total cost to me.

25 year performance warranty

If I want an extra battery €1800 for 5kW battery

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭con747

Run. I just don't know where some of these installers learnt their trade with some of the waffle they spout out about what you can and can't do.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I was a bit surprised by it because the company is doing solar for nearly 20 years so they have been around plenty long enough

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭con747

The thing is how long are some of the people working for them doing it though, a lot have had to hire extra staff with the boom in sales so god know's what some of them actually know about it.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Yeah, even on my very 1st quote I was close to the knowledge of the rep due to what I'd learned here first and research I'd done. Or maybe they had better knowledge but felt it was a more compelling approach to just spoof

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Had a lad in today, someone who had called around to the door and my wife booked an appointment. Didn't leave for 2 hours, a lot of info, was basically trying to get us to sign up tonight but we said we needed time.

From what he has scribbled down on a piece of paper, it looks like 6 panels at 2.5kw. Which he says is 9500, minus the grant its 7775 and then his company subsidise some of it if we have a sign outside advertising them for a few weeks, so final price 6525. Looking at some of the other posts is Im getting the feeling this isn't a particularly good deal??? I'm clueless so any help appreciated! Cheers

Advertisement