Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tubmeister on Virgin Radio (Warning in post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And yet you cared enough to reply. Well done at disproving your own post.

Multiple posters cite their experience and backed up by media articles explain the possibility of the confusion. These are more valid sources than anything posted to the contrary, just OTT language about rubbish and morons backed up by exactly SFA.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

It sounds like someone not blinkered by irrational hatred enjoying some upbeat easy listening. Happy people like good vibes and positivity.

That said he dealt with that caller Toby who's friend had a stroke really well. Very empathetic, letting him tell her story and bonding over a shared joy in reading.

Yes I was hooked in with your baiting. I won't be responding again. Will stick to the topic at hand.

Conan O'Brien!

One of the most prolific and funny comedy writers in America. Ryan drawing in yet another mega star. Contrary to earlier posts I'd say the Virgin UK board are very happy! 😃

How Ryan Tubridy is perceived in the UK market - whether his presenting content will be relatable to UK especially London audience is very much part of the topic at hand.

It directly feeds into whether he will be a success or even maintain his position there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

He's playing all the old hits, angling for a free holiday already in his first week. Maybe he can coordinate it with a stopover in North Korea on his way over.

And a sizeable portion of the English population are thick as mince, not taught much more than their glorious empire and how it ruled (rules?!) the world, and the complexity of Ireland/Uk relations are glossed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Morgans

Two things can be right at the same time.

a) Ryan is Irish, clearly Irish, his show is very Irish for an UK station, but Virgin are fine with that.

b) not everyone in the UK gives a shite about the difference between NI, ROI, Wales, etc and couldn't tell you if Cork was in the South or North of the country. Why should they?

Its likely they are less interested in the Irish nature of the programme than Irish listeners are. They may or may not be irritated by it. Who knows

Definitely wasn't the angle he was going for.

That said I think he'd be a superb travel show host. He has such a boyish enthusiasm that the audience would feel like they were also discovering a new land for the first time. Surprised he hasn't tried that format before. Was probably too busy with the LL show.

Could be something he does after making his name at Virgin. A BBC similar to the Michael Palin travel shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭rightmove

no hard feelings. The pills will wear off around 12 and drink plenty of water

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Tbere are many in Fine Gael who think, or at least wish, Ireland were in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭RoTelly

A few years ago I had a job that was about an hours journey away, I read one of the worst books from Stephen King (Tommyknockers), I'd happened to pick up 1984 and Dostoevsky's The Gambler, both were far better written and far easier to read. Know I am comparing King to Dostoevsky and Orwell. Also I highly recommend The Gambler I though it was a very funny novel. Both are well written and short novels unlike the never ending King books.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 10,676 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Well, I gave him an hour this morning..

Not as bad as I thought - OK as a DJ spinning discs.

Two obvious things 1) Books, books, books... fine but are his new target listenership remotely interested to this extent in his reading habits??

2) Is he talking to a London audience or an Irish one? Going by that hour, he's clearly addressing people back in the auld sod. But that's not his gig now. I think if I were a Londoner I'd be wondering who this new plonker is? He'd want to start talking to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

you alright there? Need some tissues? Hope it didn’t get all over the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I wonder if WLRFM would sell BEAT. Aren't they part of the Irish Times ... did they sell Red to Communicorp back in the day ... :/

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Cheap and puerile 'joke'.

It's easy to enjoy easy going positivity when you're not shackled by crippling toxicity and hate. The world looks (and sounds) very different to those of us that have a more sunny outlook on life.

You were up at the crack of dawn this morning spitting venom about Ryan on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Against very stiff opposition that is the daftest post so far in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭hawley

He can't get through an hour without mentioning that he's friendly with celebrities. He was boasting earlier on in the week how he "lovebombed" Paddy Power into sponsoring his programme. Doesn't care about all the damage gambling does to families and how some children live in a horrible environment because of the destruction it wreaks. All about himself, and money, as usual with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Danny Drier

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Yes, probably. They may even be making a profit with the syndication, which is how it was probably sold to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭FattyBolger

I despise the gambling industry, Paddy Power in particular, but this is an incredibly unfair stick to beat him with.

Also lining up sponsorship for his own programme shows great initiative, that’s not the presenter’s role at all at this level. He’s not a great DJ but he probably could be a talented marketing agent.

Incidentally @odyssey06 this is one reason why I don’t consider Irish Times opinion pieces valid sources.

https://amp.theguardian.com/media/2023/may/14/irish-times-apologises-for-hoax-ai-article-about-womens-use-of-fake-tan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

😂

Theres enjoyment and then there’s whatever you are at, which seems to be turning into some kind of childlike overexcited blow by blow running commentary on the goings on of a second-rate radio show. Given your reply to me, it’s completely lost on you that when you’re not at that you seem to be in some blind rage slamming on the keyboard replying to any criticism towards Tubridy or the show. Up and down a lot, it’s all bit weird to be honest.

Come off it, that was one Irish Times article. Absolutely zero to suggest similar factors in the article cited. Absolutely zero to suggest the person's account in the article is in any way dubious or insincere.

You can't just dismiss every single such piece in the Irish Times based on that.

Meanwhile, you have zero sources yourself, of any type or standard, opinion or otherwise, from any source. So by the standards you have set for yourself, you have absolutely nothing.

And similarly absolutely nothing, not a single shred of evidence to dispute the accounts of multiple posters on the thread.

Therefore, I see absolutely no reason to doubt their statements. Now of course, you don't have to accept the above, being skeptical is one thing - but calling the view "total rubbish" is totally unjustified.

Calling people irrational is an ultra lazy “argument tactics” tactic. Isn’t it better to question why a person might have a specific opinion in opposition to one’s own?

I’m not listening to Q102/Virgin, as it’s really not my thing at all, but I am somewhat interested in broadcasting in general, and especially the evolution of Irish broadcasting as I grew in a particularly interesting era, being born just as RTE was set up.

Definitely a plus for Tubs is that he can get sponsors. Interesting that there are ads for Virginbet throughout the programme.

Did the show have a sponsor under the previous presenter? Is this a new development or a changeover?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,601 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I, personally, believe some people are frantically underestimating the importance an Irish “personality” can play in markets like the UK or the US.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

I think it will depend on the personality. There is a world of difference between Terry Wogan, Graham Norton or Dave Allen who lived in the UK, soaked up the culture and had an irish twist on things. Its different from someone coming over and asking what the Ally Pally is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Caller ....

Deirdre from Celbridge in County Kildare, whats your current book, what books do you like. More book references, then Conor texts in recommending Barrys tea, oh yes, then a message that "Conan O'Brien will be calling in from the Shelburn Hotel in Dublin", Ryan usually turns on the Christmas lights in Dublin, but he's away in London now... so the Irish references just keep flooding in on day five with no sign of slowing down! Welcome to the Totally Irish Show broadcasting live from London-England.

*Just trying to imagine English people driving around the Home Counties listening to Virgin Irish radio, like how is it going down with the British population?

Maybe they love it . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Tubridy is someone who probably envisages himself with a Portillo on a train style bbc 4 show but about books. Ryan loves books incidentally. A little known fact.

He could do a show visiting the great libraries of the UK. He could smell all those lovely pages and lovingly caress all those spines (his friends).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement