Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tubmeister on Virgin Radio (Warning in post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,241 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Some of us think hiring Tubridy might be largely driven by a desire to capture the London-Irish audience. I'm not sure that market would be large enough or distinct enough from the broader London audience in its tastes to justify such a move though...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Morgans

Graham Norton and Chris Evans didn't act like Alan Partridge. Alan Partridge was on the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

If available online there should be a good compare and contrast statistic around the listenership figures of the last dude who had a show after Chris Evans and to see how many were retained/dropped - it may be skewed though if Irish stations are included in those figures - I guess we’ll know eventually - if Ryan stays then figures are probably as expected- if he goes then he likely lost listenership overall on this slot - I don’t see Virgin subsidising him as he finds his feet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Paddy Power is owned by Flutter, the biggest betting company in the UK. And Paddy Power themselves by far have the biggest advertising spend of any individual betting brand in the UK. This is a significant sponsor in the UK market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭Tork

I think he sees this as a placeholder job before something comes up back in Ireland. It's a shame because he has been handed a golden opportunity to gain a profile in the UK. Even if he doesn't want that, he should be trying harder with his current show. It's a no-brainer that he needs to tailor his presenting style to suit a British audience. That means fewer Irish references for starters, along with assuming the listeners know who he is. He also lacks the likeability of the Irish presenters who've done well in the UK and that's going to be his biggest problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

One of the big issues I noticed years ago with Tubridy as an interviewer is his difficulty in laughing at a gag and enjoying a funny moment.

A great host can do this well and whether it’s real or fake it doesn’t really matter as long as the audience buys it. A respected host who laughs at a joke puts the guest at ease and also puts over the joke to the audience. Gay Byrne was actually really good at this. Graham Norton, Johnny Carson also. Pat Kenny was horrific in this regard, which is one of the main reasons that made him completely unsuited to light entertainment.

So this idea that Tubridy is a safe pair of hands just doesn’t really ring true with me. I think he’s mediocre at best to be honest.

I’ve always sensed an oscillating low level anxiety and unease with both him and the audience. He’s shown on many occasions that he’s incapable of diffusing awkward moments and also enriching funny ones. An audience can sense this and not feel relaxed as a result creating a sort of negative feedback loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The stations that are taking it do not recognise the NUJ or indeed any union other than an in-house one that the UK does not recognise as a free trade union.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Look, we've already established that Tubridy himself doesn't "act" like Alan Partridge, no more than the regional managers of companies across the UK and Ireland "act" like David Brent. It's a cheap, lazy slur to cast on someone that you don't like. It's not funny, it doesn't stand up to scrutiny, and it's boring.

All I'm saying is, surely we can achieve a higher standard of criticism than this?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Denny61

A lot of people I was talking to tuned in to hear his show ..most said did they happen to miss it as 11 minutes had gone by and not a word from him..it was taken up by.two songs and two add breaks. Then when he came on ..only1min and 20 seconds talking gibberish till another 2add break and a song...at that rate..tubs is bringing nothing to the table..his career is on a downward trajectory ..his finished .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,241 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

It's not funny, it doesn't stand up to scrutiny, and it's boring.

Agreed. He actually put me more in mind of

with maybe Bruce Hornsby - The Way It Is as his theme rather than BTO...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭mountain

It’s very unlikely that he’s finished,

im that at some stage in the next 2 years, RTE will decide that he has served his punishment, and he will be taken back into the fold.

as can be seen by fact that Joe Duffy, and Ray Darcy are still on air, there is no quality control in the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Yep, I can see that happening too after his short stint in the UK. He's not Wogan or Norton in the fact that he's just not bothering to be part of British society, with near 100% Irish based references which is totally fine, as he's flying the flag for Ireland & the Irish, whilst talking about the ring of Kerry & Tayto crisps, Irish actors, Irish books and Irish historical figures, Irish names, while bigging-up Guinness and the fact that it doesn't travel well outside Ireland, so that's all great, but surely it can't last forever in a London-British setting ....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I think you need to know a little about Ryan Tubridy and Alan Partridge before you can make such an ill informed, lazy post even Ryan himself has acknowledged the similarity

• You have hit the nail on the head. He makes me feel uneasy and I have heard many others out in the real world comment in like manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Morgans

You've established that. I think you need to watch more Alan to see how accomplished he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hawley

I don't know how to embed YouTube videos, but everyone should watch the clip of him, on his first day on 2FM, taking over G Ryan's old programme. He's dripping with arrogance and condescension. Thought he really was the top dog. Some difference better that and his performance on Virgin this week. His confidence has obviously taken a massive battering.

Mick Heaney, of the Irish Times, said that Tubs had become insufferable over the last few years. It's on the Irish Times podcast. He really laid into him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭seanin4711

turgidity

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Actually that’s a horrible thought- your post reminds me that Joe Duffy Will some day retire from live line- likely in the next year or two- and the replacement will be…….🤪🤪🤪🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭rightmove

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I can't figure out how to quote posts but someone earlier replied to me saying no one has mentioned the licence fee in their criticism on this thread.

That's the point!!!

Before when people obsessively hate listened and levelled vile abuse at Ryan they'd say it was only because they paid his salary and were entitled to. Or they were forced to listen as it was on in the background. Which of course is bullsh1t as here they are again with some weird obsession with Tubridy when neither of those apply.

<mod snip>

Post edited by hullaballoo on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Well its over to the BAI so.

A syndicated show like this could be bought in for a fraction of the price of making one locally you'd imagine. You'd have thought a condition for a local radio licence is that prime time slots are locally produced, otherwise it will eventually lead to the decline of genuine local radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭rightmove

Confidence can take years to build and is brick by brick.

It can be smashed alot quicker.

That clip shows a big fish in a small pond

now he is a small fish in a big pond. God bless em

• Registered Users Posts: 10,638 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

We’ve got the lazy Patridge comparisons, the lazy name puns, a few more of those terrible AI generated images and we’re right back in the old thread.

Wonder if Ryan has any idea of the scale of attention he gets from some people, or the importance of the role he plays in their lives.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Ok that's it, lets close the thread. Emmet has spoken. No more talk about Ryan allowed, unless its fawning admiration.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

You wonder if the "most trusted man in Ireland" has any idea of the importance he plays in their lives?

I think Ryan (certainly his agent) *might* have an over-inflated sense of self importance in the nations lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭FattyBolger

There’s nothing in that clip to suggest arrogance or any kind of superiority complex from Ryan Tubridy.

If anything the presentation of that video reflects very badly on RTÉ, even by the standards of the day it looks incredibly amateurish. It’s hard to believe a professional broadcast company put up a video on YouTube with those kind of Windows Movie Maker titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Surely you can appreciate the interest his venture in London has for people here. He was the most famous face on Irish tv for well over a decade and most certainly of late one the most divisive figures in Irish broadcasting.

This isn’t Pyongyang. The majority of the critical comments here have been reasoned and fair even if you don’t happen to agree with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Neferteena

Why don't you tell him so & help masturbate his over inflated ego

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement