Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tubmeister on Virgin Radio (Warning in post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,355 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sounds like Tubs should have accepted that Classic Hits 4FM offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

how is the kim wilde show tailored for the Irish market ?

by adding a clip of her saying "on Ireland's classic hits" after an occasional link that every station that buys the show also hears ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Did he have one? If he did yeah absolutely he should have - it would have given him a lot more air time for his voice- much slower paced and faux intellectual image - could have even branched out into Jazz over time and into Lyric FM 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Ryan blatantly showing his life experience of not venturing beyond a 5km radius of Blackrock for his education, working career and his entire life really.

Anyone who has traveled extensively and lived and worked abroad for any length of time knows that very few people give a flying fuċk about Ireland, Irish people and culture. Most don’t know or want to know about the place. In fairness, if I flicked on some Irish station and there was some unknown Welsh fella on who thought he was some big swinging dıck harping on about Wales and how great he was there I would switch off pretty rapidly thinking who is this knob, as are I’d say a large cohort of British listeners who’ve had to listen to Tubridys inane drivel this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭franglan

From experience there is a good percentage of the British population who would believe/have had no reason to think otherwise that Tubs is British. As in someone from Terenure is as British as someone from Torquay.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭FattyBolger

• Registered Users Posts: 19 john457

I think Tubridy should have taken the Classic Hits Radio offer of a 9 o clock show.

It would have fitted with his brand better, it would be at a slower, more talk pace and would have suited his strengths.

It would have done exactly what Neil Prendeville did for RedFM.

A game changer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭franglan

I don't take my life experiences while living in London (recent within the last 10 years) as absolute rubbish. My point is some would see Tubs going on about Ireland is a similar fashion to someone from Cumbria continuously going on about the lake district and Carlisle, some would not see a clear delineation between Ireland as an independent state and the "British Isles".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The below should make you pause before throwing out labels like "total rubbish".

Many people in Britain are unaware that Ireland is a separate country at all. While they may be vaguely aware of a separation between the North of Ireland and the Republic, there’s often a presumption that Irish sovereignty is a kind of nominal independence. Twice in the last few months I’ve had to request that my nationality be changed from British to Irish on a form - once when registering to vote, and again when booking a holiday with a travel agent. On each occasion the administrators - who had pre-filled my information incorrectly - greeted my requests as though I were being pedantic, adhering to some trivial, obscure technicality.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/abroad/i-m-exhausted-explaining-to-british-people-the-geography-of-their-own-country-1.3797959

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,165 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The poor Brits!!!

bad enough they got Brown’s Boys, but now this lad..😖

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

It’s amazing that people don’t know/realise this.

Here’s a perfect and recent example.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭mykrodot

Ivan Yates is sitting in for Pat Kenny this week on Newstalk. He is dragged out of deep Wexford, the cobwebs dusted off and he is put in the hot seat a few times a year. Each and every time he smashes it. He is an absolute natural. He has charisma and wit, he is articulate and can do serious stuff and comedy. He will admit himself he loves the gig as it gets him back on top of what is going currently going on in the world , he loves engaging with people whether its the current affairs people, sports commentators or news correspondents. He sometimes interjects too much but each time its funny and witty.

What I love about him is that he is self deprecating, he is always taking the p#ss out of himself and others, but in a way that's extremely engaging. I could listen to him all day. He is in a different league to Ryan Tubridy. You have to have it naturally. Ryan doesn't. He doesn't have natural humour, he can't laugh at himself. He is extremely limited in his capabilities and this has never been more visible than now in his new gig.

Tabloidy clickbait questions in an interview aren't illustrative of the majority views in the UK, neither are a few ill-educated morons who don't know the difference between Northern Ireland or the Republic.

It is total rubbish that any English person will be listening to Ryan Tubridy's programme and think that Tubridy is from the same country as them. It's fun to imagine that Ryan Tubridy is a plummy West Brit, tugging his forelock at a portrait of the King every morning, so much of a traitor to his country in fact that even the Brits think he's British, and therefore you can add the "he's not even bleedin' Irish" stick to beat him with but it remains totally made-up rubbish. And it's not fair comment to make total rubbish up about people and then criticise him for it, even if he is a crap DJ.

It's the same thing as the poster who claimed that Tubridy's agent has maintained some sort of advanced cyber-disinformation campaign on boards.ie. Total rubbish.

Incidentally Evan Ferguson gets asked those questions because his mother his English and unquestionably eligible to play for England, not because English people can't tell the difference between England and Ireland.

You can't keep your story straight. Is it no English? Or just no morons? At one point it is the "majority" and then it becomes "any English person".

What the poster said was: "there is a good percentage of the British population."

Multiple sources have been cited now disproving your claims, both posters personal experiences and media articles.

Meanwhile your argument is based on zero foundation, zero evidence, absolutely nothing.

I think readers can judge for themselves who is talking "total rubbish."

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭rightmove

"can I raise the flag for my home country"

FFS

Might not last 10 mins today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I think the ban is not because it is British but that it may lead to other simucasts.

While simucasts are not unusual, I am not sure if there have been that many or any long running simucasts on prime time radio hours in Ireland before on any channel this is a big change, considering that Dublin's Q102 is a local Dublin station. (and don't start pointing out RTÉ Radio 1 extra unless you give me audience figures first).

Yes you can point to the fact that RTÉ, VMTV and TG4 all air imports, but TV is slightly different due to the costs involved.

The question for people in the Radio industry is where does it stop. There is no real reason for Bauer not to start simucasting Dublin's version of Spin between 7pm and 6am across Spin South West, iRadio and RedFM, do we end up with a 3rd national bauer channel? (Save for BEAT FM in the South East).

I am not a huge fan of Local Radio in Ireland, as I pointed out its local credentials are limited in many cases to a 2 hour chat show, daytime news bulletins, Death notices and GAA coverage, after that you have the same diet of music, DJs and late night news from newstalk in many cases.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

First of all you need to calm down. Second: posting personal anecdotes on internet and whinging opinion columns are not compelling sources, sorry to burst your bubble.

My position is totally consistent: no British person listening to Ryan Tubridy's show will think he's British, and so few British people think that the entirety of Ireland is in the UK that it may as well be "nobody." This is not a fair stick to beat him with. It is total rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Another lovely start to the programme. A few book recommendations, as well as helping novice readers get in to the pasttime. He also spent some time commending talented Irish actors for doing well at the Oscar nominations. He really is flying the flag for us.

Opened up about how he's now thinking of doing some travelling and experiencing foreign cultures like Japan. I think he'd love it there. The history, the food, the geek culture. Hope he makes it happen.

Lovely easy listening in the background.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Morgans

Either NK is monitoring boards in which case those criticising Tubs need to be aware that there may be legal ramifications for what they claim (eventhough I would see some celebrities with brand managers keen to ensure that there is always people texting into their radio programmes or their youtube videos have lots of views etc) If they cant be got organically, best manufacture it.

or

They aren't monitoring or concerned about his image, in which case, then what's there to be worried about with such a straightforward cliam. You aren't the only pro-Tubs person to have these concerns of what is being said. Some could see it as an attempt to stifle argument.

Also, Tubridy just said not to read anything hard like 1984, or Wuthering Heights.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I agree about Ivan and would say the same about George Hook. Sure, he can be a bit of a windbag and often wrong, but he is genuine and entertaining too. They have what is called a "personality", which seems to be in short supply amongst these radio personalities. Presenters are all bores, with no opinions, and they certainly wouldn't offer their opinions for fear of a backlash on social media. Couldn't they just give George a show where he talks movies? His love of movies combined with his occasional pig ignorant remarks always made me laugh.

Calm down? Rings rather hollow from a poster stating "total rubbish" at every opportunity.

They are vastly more compelling sources that your self contradictory posts (which can't decide between majority and any, morons excluded or not) which appears to consist of shouting "total rubbish".

We have multiple examples noted where British people assume an Irish person is in some sense British. It may not be the majority view but nor is it so isolated as to not be a factor.

Meanwhile the Irish Times articles etc confirms the personal experience. So consider your bubble well and truly burst by multiple other posters and media articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Morgans

I don't know if you are a satirical genius or just a happy Tubridy fan. I hope its the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

When I worked in Canada most colleagues had never heard of Ireland or thought it was part of the UK. One of them genuinely thought leprechauns were real.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Sandi Toksvig does that, mentioning famous people she's met or interesting situations, but she always manages to include an interesting anecdote.

Again, my position is totally consistent and the sources cited (personal anecdotes and some random opinion column from the Irish Times) are not valid. Keep crying about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

No one cares about your pedantic arguments about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Ryan Tubridy is Irish. Virgin UK ran an ad campaign with the tagline "Fáilte Ryan" describing him as Irelands latest great export. Unless someone is monumentally thick they know he's not British - stories of confused Scandinavians aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭rightmove

Sounds like the conversation in the virgin radio boardroom next week with the producer trying to hold onto their/it/him/yoke job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,680 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I've met many English who also thought Ireland was in the UK

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement