Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tubmeister on Virgin Radio (Warning in post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭franglan

Are the majority of people ads on this Oirish in nature? Brennan's bread, AIG.ie, the Electoral Commission (can't spell what that is in Irish tbh) I'm listening both on the Virgin Radio UK website and SimpleRadio app?

Drinking game here in work when Ryan mentions the Beatles and books - I'm taking the afternoon off to sober up in a rustic avent gar cinema...

• He is supposed to be mainly serving the English audience. I only could tolerate listening to the initial episode, for research purposes don’t you know. So I take it he is still doing the Irish Schtick. That’s not going to pan out too well if the majority of his potential audience cannot relate to him.

Imagine RTE employed a French broadcaster and he kept on referring to how things are in Paris, mostly forgetting he is now living among us in Dublin, well we’d not be finding him relatable and talking about our own everyday experience.

Tubridy is a single act, he is not flexible enough to change his style to fit in with a different audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,241 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

It's not great radio and its not bad radio. But I wonder how long it will last? 

It doesn't have to be 'great' radio for him to 'succeed' in the slot. He has a captive audience courtesy of Chris Evans; as long as he isn't actively getting on nerves or playing off-playlist music few are going to be turning off or over and listenership figures will hold up enough to justify his existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭mykrodot

OMG I've just taken a quick listen to Ryan Tubridy this morning. He's seriously out of depth here. All his talk is about "books" which is almost a niche hobby, his hobby. He is racing through everything, no gravitas, no composure. He'll burn out pretty quick at this rate. Its also fluff radio, hair salon stuff....... is that what he really wanted to do?

He is just an anonymous DJ now that sounds like a 20 year old. There is no depth .....he has been royally found out here. He got away with bland boring waffle all about himself, his musings and philosophies, his hobbies for 1 hour on RTE Radio for decades. He also made the Toy Show all about him! That's not going to work anymore. Just shows the shite Irish audiences put up with .....yet called presenters "STARS"!!

I used to always cringe when on the LLS, Ryan would ask every single guest that wasn't Irish what they liked most about "the Oirish".... always sought praise for Ireland, weren't we "great craic", what was their favourite thing about Ireland etc. Its a hugely insular way of looking at Ireland and RT is the king of this! It screams of the Irish insecurity that we need everyone to like us. He's nothing without that over in the UK, they are bigger and they couldn't care less.

All those ads and music, he's the small bit in between, its no way to make a name for himself. I won't be back (just killing time till Pat Kenny's back from his holidays on NT).

p.s there will be no appetite among the Irish public for Tubridy to ever return to RTE, most people are glad he's gone and have moved on. Muck sticks and in this case it was a lot of muck!

Post edited by mykrodot on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

If you were listening to Virgin Uk I’m assuming you’d hear local UK adds? I’m listening to Q102 version so yes all Irish related adds- are you listening to virgin online and hearing Irish adds? Might they be related to your IP country I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Morgans

Yeah, 80K a year, what's to lose.

He did tease that he will have sponsorship news in the upcoming hours. I'm sure there are lots hanging by their radios in anticipation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭franglan

Can confirm was listening to Virgin Radio UK website and heard add for the Irish election commission add. I'm in Paddyland. Wonder would anyone like to guess audience split between Q102 and Virgin Radio listeners both on FM/DAB and online. I'm guessing 15%\85% Q102/Virign split without any market insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Listening to Virgin radio on Alexa in ROI, exclusively English advertisements interspersed with Ryan and his almost exclusively Irish radio show from London.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Morgans

Anyone have the experience where one of your work colleagues is a bit strange. Basically harmless, but they do odd things, say stuff that's a bit weird, but nothing really offensive and you tolerate them as it's just manners, and you don't want to point out their strangeness. Then you bump him when you are out with a gang of mates and they spot all the odd things that he does. You have to explain, that "yeah, he does that but look he's basically alright. But yeah, he has his weird stuff".

That's what listening to Ryan is like. Yeah, we know he's odd, we wouldn't expect you to get along with him, but if you hang around him enough he is ok.

No one has told Ryan that he is kinda weird.

Just listened in again for the last 20 minutes- there was something bugging me about Ryan’s presenting style and I couldn’t put my finger on it until now- tons of adds loads of music and a bit of Ryan urging us all to contact him on his virgin radio email address - that’s it.

If you view Ryan as a radio presenter, you’ll be disappointed - if you view him now as a Disc Jockey, the show makes total sense.

John Creedon has a brilliant music show on RTÉ radio 8-10 evenings - but he’s style is still absolutely 100% radio presenter - Ryan’s style is now Disc Jockey -whether he wishes to admit that or not is another thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭FattyBolger

What does everyone think about radio programmes being simulcast in Ireland from the UK?

I'm not particularly keen on the idea, to be totally honest, and I think it sets a worrying precedent where megastations from the UK can replace indigenous Irish programmes. Not in an unvetted, military aged radio stations way, of course, but I do live out in the country where I mostly listen to local radio, and I would definitely miss the regional idiosyncrasies associated with the same, such as the death notices and country and "westren" hours.

If they were replaced with Talksport Presents Janey and Zany Morning Puke Hour I would be very disappointed. Or LBC's risible James O'Brien and his propensity for hectoring his thicko listeners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭yagan

Very cheap if accounts in papers of what his pay is are to be believed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

In the space of about two minutes there he received a voice message from the Ring of Kerry, a note from Trim, talked about meeting Roald Dahl in Dublin whilst also mentioning JFKs visit to Dublin. All interspersed with people getting in touch to advise bookshops for him to visit .... in England.

People with massive egos (Leo Varadkar does this a lot) implant themselves into every story or anecdote regardless of the theme/subject of the story, and this is exactly what RT does.

This would be annoying to listen to on RTE so I'd say the English are not going to take too well to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Tubridy has a habit of not finishing sentences. It’s like he’s going to say something but manages to lose commitment to it half way through actually saying it. Could perhaps be a metaphor…for eh…good morning!

I guess that “market” is fast disappearing. My own view is that it’s the responsibility of our beloved national broadcaster to keep local radio alive and kicking even if the listenership falls to just a few thousand- it’s what we’re paying them good money for- whilst some might scoff at the type of radio you outlined, I’m a strong believer in community and as long as there’s a quorum of people out there who rely on such radio, it should be respected and supported, but by our national local RTÉ stations - commercial radio won’t have the money to stay in business for such listenership I’m afraid - so yeah I’m with ya but it needs state subsidy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Teachers and nurse are wonderful.....

Doctors and Lawyers get paid more money.... and you know women can do those jobs also ... I don't care what the nuns say!

And actors ... well I've been Stelling their living!

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• I remember Tubridy’s first ever appearance on radio, years ago. I don’t mean when he was a kid, but when he was a sidekick, a sort of roving reporter to Pat Kenny, a bit like the way Joe Duffy was to Gaybo. His first gig was to do a comedy stand-up in the Central Hotel Wicklow Street, he was being presented to us as a guy who was willing to give everything a go. It struck me how “hyper-confident” he was, I couldn’t relate to him at all, there was too much of a sense of bluffing his way through everything.

Cant recall the stand up comedy trial itself, just that he had a self-belief way beyond the ordinary average mortal in a way that was irritating. The fast talking grated with me. I’m rather hyper within myself and to have to listen to somebody doing pressurised talking does nothing to make me feel more relaxed. He grated with me.

Then when he had the Tubridy Tonight Show I found it all so superficial and again he just wasn’t to my taste. My late mother would switch him on and switch up the volume and shout down the hall for me to join her and watch “your beloved fantasy Bryan”. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭leath_dub

I have switched across 3 or 4 times today at random times and not once has Ryan been talking. It' always been music so far.

It's a vastly different show from Ryan's point of view - he's more like Larry Gogan than Pat Kenny in this role.

It's difficult to see how he'll build much of a brand in the UK under these constraints

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Surely the NUJ in Ireland can't be happy with it? Irish presenters, producers, researchers and members replaced en masse by one show and presenter in the UK. Its definitely a worrying precedent, and you'd wonder if the BAI have rules against it.

• Advertisement

I am going to put local radio down.

I'd assumed that non-dublin local radio was a local version of Radio 1, but I realise that it's pretty much Dublin radio stations with a 2 hour local chat show, death notices and news bulletins and older musical taste (almost all local radio stations now take newstalk news in the evening).

Local radio consists of GAA coverage for the local area. Many of the phone in shows took their lead from national news story interjecting the local aspect into them. LMFM will chat for 20mins on HSE and Our Lady of Lourdes with KFM saying the same about Naas Hospital.

CnaM meanwhile have allowed the take over of regional yuff ratio station by Bauer, Cash Machine and Newstalk updates on the hour. With the exception of Beat FM.

Bon Journey ? Bon Voyage non?

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭rightmove

everything ryan touches someone looses.

He is the frank spencer of broadcasting. "Ohhhhh bettttyyyyyyy"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭Tork

I gave the show a listen just now and had to turn it off after a few minutes. He's way too hyper and sounds like he's trying too hard. He also doesn't seem to have any understanding of who his core audience is. It's not the Irish back home - they're an added bonus. It's British people who don't know or care who he is. People who know feck all about Ireland and furthermore, aren't interested in us. All they want is to listen to some tunes as they go about their day and enjoy a little bit of chatter. He's not easy on the ears and unless he changes tack, I can see this experiment ending in tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭rightmove

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭FattyBolger

I would agree with that.

Perhaps in the long term it would be better for RTE radio to transition into a national current affairs and news outfit, with a smattering of provincial/regional stations covering the local stuff. Or one station covering the regional stuff, and another covering the national news. They can start by getting rid of 2FM and Lyric anyway, and putting the likes of Joe Duffy out to pasture once their contracts are up.

Removing Ryan Tubridy was a good move, even if I think the personal vitriol towards him (and Duffy to be honest) is utterly baffling. I think some people are trying to be shocking and funny in here but it's all just mean-spirited and cringeworthy.

Get rid of Lyric??? Ah now I can’t be agreeing with ya on that 🤪

But Lyric does need a good kick up the backside though that’s for sure- they’re a “lazy” station playing the same music month in month out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Was listening to him earlier. Speaks very fast, doesn't finish sentences and sounds very hyper and nervous.

Sounds like he had too much icing sugar with his pancakes this morning.

I don't know if anyone in Britain will be interested in this chat. It sounds like RTÉ Radio 1's old LW signal is interrupting the main presenter by mistake. Chairsiveen and Daniel O'Connell!

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

These Alan Partridge comparisons are lazy, bottom of the barrel stuff. "I don't like him, and he's on the radio - he's like Alan Partridge LOL!". Surely we're better than this?

It reminds me of back in the day when everyone and their wife claimed that their boss was "a real life David Brent". You had people complaining about slave-master micromanagers, calling them "David Brent", even though they were the polar opposite of the relaxed, fun-loving but misguided character. I'm sure half the hotel managers in the '70s had to put up with unfairly being called "Basil Fawlty" despite never having goose-stepped around their foyer, or thrashed their car with a tree branch.

Tubridy certainly isn't the greatest broadcaster of all time, and he's of course due fair criticism. But he's not the worst broadcaster either. He's a proven, experienced middle-of-the-road competent professional. A safe pair of hands that won't excite or ignite, but can keep a show going for a few hours no bother. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm sure there's a higher standard we can all aspire to than the tired and stale base-level cries of "Partridge!".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I can't imagine lyric costing much so getting rid of it would be bad planning. Retiring Joe would save a significant amount though. We only ever hear about his 350k. How much do his researchers cost on top.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement