Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tubmeister on Virgin Radio (Warning in post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I never said there was tbf, I was just posting the link.

But yeah the video looks like it was shot on a Ring doorbell.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭rightmove

Its my emmetspiceball⚽️ and I am not playing anymore

Going home to lick my poster of Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭FattyBolger

Not you but another poster in this thread said this “everyone should watch the clip of him, on his first day on 2FM, taking over G Ryan's old programme. He's dripping with arrogance and condescension. Thought he really was the top dog.”

In the clip you provided there absolutely is no evidence of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

So let's give Tubs till tomorrow, let him close out the week with Irishness and all things Irish, and then see on Monday if it continues in that Irish vein, or will Monday mark the real introduction to the UK and the British listeners ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I think for most Irish listeners (non Q102 regular listeners) his new show is a curiosity, but a week from now that will be over, and like you say it will be time for him to step up and prove himself.

I wish him well, the last thing I want to see is Tubridy failing and returning to RTE.

I would question though why a show produced and recorded in the UK is allowed to be syndicated on local stations in Ireland at prime times. Maybe the reason the BAI don't question it is if Tubridy speaks a lot about Irish issues.

The thing is when people keep repeating the same joke over and over again about someone they don’t like, when it wasn’t funny in the first place, and it’s dripping with meanness, then it creates an incredibly toxic atmosphere.

I don’t think Ryan Tubridy is a great broadcaster but I am interested in the trajectory of his career. The AI images, Alan Partridge comparisons and constant sneering about his fall from grace are only funny if you actually hate Ryan Tubridy but for the rest of us we think all of that is weird and off-putting, and worthy of comment.

The same goes for Joe Duffy, Ray Darcy, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭yagan

If people over there genuinely start asking about him then it's inevitable that the his back payments during the pandemic will come up and it will dawn on people that this guy is just another version of partygate. No amount of favours will save him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

They can keep him. Its in everyones interests for a line to be drawn under 150k-gate, and he stays over there indefinitely.

Unless you want him back on the RTE payroll and prattling on about books on RTE Radio 1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Morgans

Joe Duffy and Ray D'Acry are also beneficiaries of the 'we have to pay them their wages, otherwise, heaven forfend, they would get the salaries elsewhere'. Twas Marian Finucane and Gerry Ryan before then. If they were on a fraction of the wages and acted as if they relished the job, there would be fewer criticisms.

I don't know of the other Alan Partridge 'slurs' but what Alan has is a huge self confidence that the world that he inhabits is the world as it should be, and those who disagree are wrong. Alan can dial it in, him speaking is enough, except when there is a clearly 'superior' individual in his presence, where he becomes a simpering try-hard. It's Alan's sense of entitlement that 'of course, he should have a second series', that is the comparison to Tubridy. Mick Heaney captured it well in calling him the civics teacher telling us how we should aspire to living. Self-appointed of course. I think it appeals to the well-to-do yummy mummy types.

His broadcasting style vis a vis Partridge is irrelevant, even if Partridge is so well observed that there are obvious comparisons.

That there is no criticisms of Ryan that are deemed fair, given the last year, is something.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

And you're free to comment on that, as they are free to mock if they want.

As it should be, no?

Indeed it should but I’m not interfering with anyone’s right to comment, am I?

The moderators are banning posters commenting on the “anti Tubridy” brigade, though. That’s indicative of a toxic culture in a forum in my opinion.

moderator: FattyBolger was warned for this.

Post edited by hullaballoo on

I feel I've known you years but only discovered the emmetspiceland band yesterday

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,722 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

moderator: I will close the thread if there are more rule breaches here. play nice.

copied to OP.

• What people forget are that Mr Kelly employs the services of some people to promote his, at least formerly top client, as it were, across all MSM and social media. So we can expect with that investment there will be upholding of his status as a broadcaster and some concerted tactics to oppose anybody who might have any kind of critique, reasoned or otherwise.

It may be hard for most of us to believe but there are people actually paid to post on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

So how much are ya gettin and any jobs goin? 🤪

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭backwards_man

I listened to some of today's playback and its not as awful as people are making out. The biggest surprise was that he hardly is given any airtime, its mostly ads and music. The little he talks sounds like the waffle you do when you first get on a zoom call, the polite chit chat, but then you get jnto the substance, but he never gets into any substance, it cuts to ads or music and he comes back in and its more fast paced waffle. The only actual piece he did by himself was relating a past enounter with Roal Dahl, but it was boring, he cant spin a yarn and tell an interesting annecdote, the point was he got a signed book from him or something, a better presenter would have stretched it out and made it funny and relatable. I think that's his biggest drawback, he cant tell a good story, his voice is also grating after a while. Too much reliance on Irish callers also. I switched off after the segment with the caller who had gone back to acting, that wasnt bad, an uplifting piece that I thought he handled well. But yeah not my cup of tea. Lightweight shows need an element of humour and a charismatic presenter with a good radio voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

My view is, he has a radio presenter mindset but he’s doing a DJ job- I never liked him as a radio presenter; but I thought he was better on radio than he was on TV; but he’s trying to still “present” on this show, when all that’s called for and all the time allows for, is for him to DJ - there’s an art to being a good DJ and he hasn’t learned that yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,242 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

But in Virgin you're talking about the UK equivalent to Spin 1038 or something. Vast overwhelming majority of listeners wouldn't care even if they could get their heads around what Tubridy is supposed to have done. Same as Virgin could take on the Downing Street covid party DJ and nobody would give a toss if she was spinning the right tunes and had a vaguely upbeat radio presence.

Do you have any proof of this? That’s a serious allegation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Morgans

I think that's accurate - it's not going to change the world if he is good or bad, and the change from presenter to DJ is the interesting bit. It's far from being brutal. He doesn't have enough time to be brutal. He did say to that lady that "he wasnt plamas-ing her", which was an interesting slip for a non-Irish audience.

I do think that he is trying to convince UK listeners to how much of a star he is in Ireland by telling anecdotes about meeting McCartney yesterday, Dahl today etc.

Yeah the regaling of all the A list celebrities he’s met is very annoying.

The Roald Dahl one was particularly bad because it inadvertently revealed that he had connections where he could meet a celeb backstage, even as a young boy. Not a good look.

It's for that reason that all of the media’s “nepobabies” feign a humble background and humility, and he’s not even that connected!

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TheBMG

He’s a showbiz agent, not running Vladamir Putins disinformation army of trolls FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Danny Drier

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Neg10

Throwing in my tuppence worth.

I think Ryan, while a limited broadcaster, is doing the right thing. Fine, he’s not getting the six figure riches of RTE, and I’m sure he’d give anything to turn the clock back to April or May, he took a chance outside the fold.

How many of them at RTE, when faced with the same, would be content just to sit and complain and fade into obscurity? Huge kudos for giving it a lash.

On the UK radio show on Irish radio thing; while an odd one, and it sounds out of place on Q102, the calls to ban it are weird. Do Irish people not watch BBC, Channel 4 and Sky? Or is this only different cos it’s our particular job, industry or hobby? I’m sure Dunnes would love it if there was a ban on Tesco for being British? Like it or not, radio is a business in 2024, and far from the heyday of being as local or as engaging as it once was. Let Q102 rise or fall based on the content available. That’s their problem.

Finally, lol at Kevin from Nova going to the regulator. I didn’t realise that Kim Wilde was broadcasting from Castleforbes House every day. Also, he’s been in the papers for wrongful dismissal. Way more damaging to the industry than a simulcasted show. In my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Very well observed. If everyone could see the world and the people in it at clearly as this, what a better place we'd be in!

Tubs is what he is. A kid with good family connections and a massively inflated ego, but really no aptitude, ability or desire to put in the work. He made a beeline for RTE as a teenager, got his feet under the table and schmoozed his way to the top in a basket case of an organisation where the idea of meritocracy had gone out the window.

The reality is had he been Ryan Tubritt from Waterford, he wouldn't have gotten further than WLR FM. I'm even doubtful if he has the chops to host a music phone in show on that station to be quite honest. As an interviewer, a presenter, a host of any type on a TV or radio show, he falls down on every front. He hasn't the quick wit, charm, emotional intelligence, room reading ability or the curiosity of mind to draw an audience in and make his show compelling. His many years as the big cheese and top salaryman at RTE prove nothing beyond what a dysfunctional closed shop that station became. As we're now seeing on Virgin even a simple DJ role which is 75% music / ads and 25% charismatic prattle, is practically beyond him. He's flailing like a drowning man and trying to crowbar in old reliables from his Dublin days into a UK radio station.

His biggest problem though is his complete bulletproof belief in his own brilliance and his naked self regard and narcissistic streak. That combined with such a singularly inept broadcaster really does make for a sorry spectacle. The Alan Partridge comparisons, rather than being baseless "slurs" are completely accurate. He is a real life Partridge in almost every way. I'm sure if Steve Coogan read about Tubridy's year of 2023, he would chortle at the similarities. There really is, more to Ireland dan dis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Wasn't it Kevin Brannigan's Classic Hits 4 FM that supposedly offered Tubridy a midmorning slot first? I think it's the temporary curiosity factor for Ryan Tubridy which will undoubtedly boost Q102's ratings that is causing him some concern. He can't really throw stones at Wireless for doing a live simulcast when they (Bay Broadcasting) air the Kim Wilde syndicated radio show and iirc Radio Nova has carried other syndicated programs. He has stated that the Kim Wilde show is specifically tailored to the Irish radio market but in fairness the Virgin simulcast has specific feeds allowing for Q102 jingles whilst Virgin play theirs, plus the fact that so far the Ryan Tubridy show is constantly referencing Ireland to the ire of many! so I think he has a weak argument. IMO there is nothing wrong with syndicated radio programs IF the quality is there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement