Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigs for 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,318 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Monday it was a drive up to New Brighton. I had been due to see Justin Hayward in September 2022 in London, but alas that was the date of Mrs Windsor's funeral and the gig was postponed

I was at the Floral Pavilion at 7 o'clock with an expected start for the support at 7:30. At around 7:20 an announcement was made - I was expecting it to be to call us into the theatre, but no, it was one of those "circumstances beyond our control" announcements. So we all headed home - well in my case to Holyhead for a 4 hour wait for my overnight ferry. At least there were no deaths to worry about this time. Hayward announced on social media he had strained vocal chords and that this was the first time in was career that he turned up to a gig but then could not perform.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,318 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Roger Daltrey has been curating the Teenage Cancer Trust gigs at the Royal Albert Hall since 2000 and this is the last time he is doing it (he turned 80 at the beginning of this month). He will still be involved with the charity and I would not be at all surprised if he turns up at future gigs. Everyone performing on Sunday had supported the event in past years - they all got about 30 minutes. Pete and Roger had played two nights during the week, but Pete was over in the States for something else and could not make Sunday

That's the plan, but with one gig postponed already this year due to illness, and another cancelled due to death (Steve Harley), who knows what Thursday may bring....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭T.V Eye

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

sound issues at the olympia seems to be showing up a lot recently

• Registered Users Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Its shite once you're back under the floor of the balcony with the roof over you. So nearly half of a downstairs area.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

in the circle jake Bugs audio was painful aswell . but lg and Js was good . it all depends on the setup aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Really enjoyed JAMC last night. Aircooled were very good in the support slot too, although the singing was a bit screechy at times. Great grooves.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭mgkelly

I was there. First JAMC gig. Was very impressed, actually. Understood they can be very truculent/prone to hissy-fits. But didn't sense any of that. Very enjoyable, and great to hear their tunes live.

Not a great photo, TBH, but some wig on yer Reid brother on the guitar! He's morphing into Robert Smith a bit!

Aircooled were interesting! Been channelling their inner Hawkwind, I thought! And worshipping at the prog rock gods' altars. Including the young lady wielding a flute, of all things, at a time. Interesting.

And I see you are going to Stendhal. So, The Orb, eh?! And your friends from Gomez are playing.

Yeah, really looking forward to The Orb and seeing the Gomez lads again. There's not much else inspiring on the line up so far though...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Never seen the Orb live, but would love to. A huge evergrowing pulsating brain that rules from the centre of the ultraworld (Orbital mix) live would be whopper.

Saw them at the Reading Festival in '97 but don't remember much about it...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Sound desk is in that area. Stand in front of itz should in theory be the very best place

I remember the first album very well. Have it on vinyl from the day, somewhere in the house. A thing of beauty. Quite the album. Blew me away. I was just starting to fathom/understand the appeal of ambient & such like. This tune is superb live. The Minnie Ripperton sample is brilliant.

I'm seeing them in Derbyshire in May @ Bearded Theory, then at Stendhal. Mighty!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭dasdog

The Orb are playing Kentish Town with Ozric Tentacles which I'm now considering. One of those acts that I can't remember how many times I've seen but three stand out:

1994 in The Point with Andrew Weatherall supporting. My first introduction to the speckled dove.

1997 in The Olympia but more so the after party in a basement where Alex Patterson was DJ'ing dub, jungle and drum & bass a metre from where I was sitting on the floor trying not to be in awe.

2016 in The Button Factory where they came on stage some time after midnight and performed Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld.

Love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

I was at all three of those. The Olympia gig was Paddy's Day iirc.

They also did a late gig in the Button Factory in 2013 and the early gig was Public Service Broadcasting's debut on these shores. I was at both. Sigur Ros were in the Point that night too, my other half went to that and joined me after for The Orb!

The Orb and the Ozrics is some double header. It's like it's 1994 all over again!

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Widowspeak were decent enough in Whelans tonight. Laid back vibes that occasionally picked up into something stronger. The songs that most sounded like Mazzy Star were my faves. Along with another that reminded me of Moon Duo. In fact, if the guitarist had piled on the reverb he could have entered into Ripley Johnson territory and lifted things to another dimension. Oddly enough, there were a couple of songs early on that put me in mind of the Pixies at their mellowest. I'd probably go see them again.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Advertisement

Last night at the 3Arena

Mr WVH:

A Conspirator and Mr Kennedy:

and Mr Slash:

I wonder if that T shirt got him a Gold Circle ticket at Croke Park…..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,692 ✭✭✭hynesie08

The gaslight anthem are the best band in the world and if you disagree I will fight you and I will win.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

The Gaslight Anthem..l'll be there Sat night. Sounds like you were impressed!!

I've seen them every time they've played Dublin, and a few other places, but tonight they were happy healthy and loose, and I have a feeling tomorrow might be even better, fcuking love this band so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,781 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Nice to hear about Gaslight Anthem been good

Seeing them at Mad Cool this year🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭crl84

Gaslight Anthem were unreal tonight, great mix of the albums and all the hits. Crowd were relaying every word and band were totally up for it.

Very much thinking of going again tonight (Saturday). 100% recommend anyone on the fence or has a passing interest to go. Pure, no nonsense rock'n'roll all the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Was the lead singer of Gaslight Anthem doing 5 minute monologues between each song again? Saw them last time they were over and it really took the buzz out of the performance then

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Kind of gutted but delighted to hear Gaslight were so good. I couldn't make it, serious fomo

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Great to hear positive reports of Gaslight.

Seeing them headline 2000 Trees in July.

• Advertisement

He went on a couple of little spiels but they were fairly quick. He can have a tendency to get carried away.

Advertisement