Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigs for 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Absolutely deadly event in the National Concert Hall tonight. 30 euro for the night, John Francis Flynn in the main auditorium was brilliant but you also had access to other gigs in other rooms there. Saw a few numbers by Cahalen Morrison in the Studio beforehand, beautiful stuff, American folk singer, banjo player, did one number unaccompanied, powerful stuff. Then JFF, a pint in the bar area watching a great trad trio, finished off with a lovely set by Niamh Bury in the Studio again. Loved the idea of it. JFF gig was a bit sparsely populated but didn't affect the mood. All artists watching each other gigs. Really enjoyed the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭fluke

Mitski was pretty great tonight. Not sure if I've been at a gig like that before, in that the songs from previous albums were very much calibrated to the vibe of the current album/tour.

Richard Dawson was a bit of craic as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Agree, very different presentation of her old stuff. While still theatrical, was less so than ive seen in her previous gigs. She more personable aswell, much more crowd interaction

Richard Dawson was excellent, a bit barmy!

As regards Richard Dawson my mate was getting a good laugh out of me - RD would say this song is about something in particular, then he didn't seem to address said topic, and he'd mention Lionel Messi...my mate would just look at me as if to say WTF.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭dasdog

Sounds really good - I really like the NCH. Unlike the 3Arena and other larger venues you aren't treated like cattle. And they have nice beers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Was also in attendance at Mitski last night. Thought it was a great show.

Like has been commented earlier - totally different feel to most gigs I'd go too. Was able to sail in, the bar queues were non- existent and practically zero congestion in the jacks - well for the fellas anyway!

I thought the crowd were very receptive to Richard Dawson. Everything he did seemed to go down well around me. Though I think the crowd default was very much set to blissful adulation mode for the whole night.

It was a young and predominantly female crowd overall and it was kinda refreshing in a way to have people really paying attention to the support act - instead of the usual widespread indifference and greater interest in drinking.

Mitski is pretty amazing though - isn't she? It's mad to me that she's arena level now: her music is still so fcking dark - I found it hilarious how chirpy she was in between songs about selling your soul, existential angst and toxic relationships etc - but, she's definitely a star tbf: she knows how to command the spotlight

I knew we'd be getting a countryish type of evening. I thought the sound wasn't totally on point at times - a bit echoey, but still quite good. 

My brother is just out of Muireann Bradley doing a free afternoon show in Spindizzy Records. Said she was amazing. I'm up next in Whelans this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Beagslife

A very talented musician. Enjoy 🎸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Oh agreed. We parked on site, no charge, guy on duty lovely, girls checking tickets dead on, full of chat, just a general sense that people were glad to have you there, gorgeous spot, lovely pint and magic music. I'll defo be paying more attention to their schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Things are sometimes under the radar in the NCH because they're not on Ticketmaster. I'm going to Nick Lowe and Gilbert O'Sullivan there in the autumn, but I've seen all sorts over the years: David Byrne, John Cale, Elvis Costello, Ben Folds, Marvin Hamlisch, Rickie Lee Jones, Ute Lemper, Microdisney, Mozaik, Michael Nyman, Kamasi Washington, Yes. Eclectic enough, when you consider a lot of people (perhaps understandably) think it's a classical venue.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I've only been to the NCH once. That was to see Spiritualized. It was excellent.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

That was the first gig that sprung to mind amongst all this NCH chatter. We got free tickets for that. The advantages of having a partner involved in 'the Orts'.

I thought someone would have been at A Winged Victory For The Sullen in there last week. Couldn't make it myself but i thought they'd have had a few fans here.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Steveimitation

For the Pixies gigs in August in Galway and Dublin, does anyone know if the band will only be playing tracks from Bossanova and Trompe La Monde?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spindex

They won't be playing the albums in full, that tour has finished. You might get a couple of songs from each album.

Any harm in asking, and this extends to other people who went to Mitski last night, what is with the young fanbase? It's not a complaint, far from it, as you had said @Arghus, the crowd was very warm to Richard Dawson and the audience was always on board with everything. I'm just curious about how such a young fanbase have embraced her really (at least going by the gigs anyway).

Autechre in the dark was mad. Runny noses coke people surrounding me. I was but totally baked. Ronnie Spector in the NCH, I couldn't believe there were empty seats. Sun O was just frightning. Back from Muireann Bradley. Phucking hell - I'm not the only one that listens to Rev Blind Gary Davis. Played Dylan dont think twice as a parting tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Orbital in Vicar St last night were excellent. What a gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I believe it's to do with how popular some of her tunes became on tiktok etc during covid onwards. But I am still surprised at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭LowOdour

I think nowadays there is a much larger set of acts (Mitski, LDR, Boy Genius, Ethel Cain to name a few) that have a big LGBTQ following which has opened the net for a wider set of yoinger fans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭T.V Eye

Tik-Tok is fairly mad, in terms of the boost it can give a band. Seems a bit more random than MySpace was back in the day too.

I was surprised how young the crowd was at Slowdive, and you've 90s bands like Duster suddenly getting better streaming numbers than Pavement. Interesting enough.

Post edited by T.V Eye on

• Registered Users Posts: 37,982 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Anyone at Tenacious D last night ?

Hopefully nothing like the events a few weeks after the last time they played here

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Doc07

They were amazing although in fairness so were the crowd and the venue worked really well for the gig (i’d only seen comedy before in Vicar). Class seeing 50 and even 60 year old ravers having a great time , great atmosphere. I think it was my 6th time seeing them and it’s now 25 years since I first saw them live in Ireland and they were just as good if not better last night . My knees are in bits from jumping up and down like a mad man.
    It was a bit of stress to get free to attend but I’m glad I made the effort

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

More of the Boss in Temperance Town Sunday night (that was the location based on the weather app on my phone!). Got to say there was not too much evidence of abstinence around me….

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Agree Orbital were super. And amazing crowd. Really got stuck in as if it was 1995 all over again.

If I was to be nit picky - the encore was a little bit of anti climax. Spicey went down like a led balloon - might just be an Irish crowd thing, not sure how it is going down in UK. Or it might be ok for two mins and then mix it out quickly. But after those bangers from the brown album and the roof practically on fire it sounded just totally out of place as a slow set. Dirty Rat is a great, great, great tune but you need to kind of mix it in and mix it out like they way they did in '23 tour. There was a ten second gap between spicey and dirty rat and it just didn't work. The other thing is that so much of the brown and green album have the thumping sound of 909 and the acid sound from the 303 - more modern produced stuff which probably sounds better on headphones doesn't actually sound better in a venue where the thump sounds brilliant and it has really got the crowd going.

Did anyone go to the after party? And how did it go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Agree with you on those tracks in the encore. Nothing from Sniv or InSides. I walked out dreaming of what that show would feel like.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Granite Head

Nadine Shah immense tonight in Whelans. Calum Easter very good too, - also on lighting for NS.

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Arab Strap, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine x2, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Fontaines DC, Amble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Baxter Dury was phenomenal tonight.. Really great! Hopped across the road after for a bit of Mik Pyro and his Blues Cartel.. Nice way to end the night

• Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭hynesie08

The incredible beans on toast in the grand social tonight. A fantastic lyricist who writes songs about Life, love and current affairs. He's randomly playing in cloughjordan tomorrow if anyone is around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭VM Varga

Baxter was unbelievably good.

Advertisement