Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigs for 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,342 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Joel Gion of The Brian Jonestown Massacre was entertaining in the Grand Social tonight. A mixture of readings from his new book and questions from Eamonn Sweeney, plus a few from the audience. Didn't pick up the book as i want to wait for the small paperback version. Sounded like it will be a very good read though.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

Saw the film DIG! recently. Can only imagine some of the stories from a member of that band would be a definition of creative chaos and other tales of excess

In a gig in Melbourne just last Nov 23 the band fought on stage , abandoned the concert and cancelled the remain tour. Newcombes way or no way. SOME EGO

Ill get library to order that one for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭T.V Eye

looking forward to the smile later. prefer wall of eyes to the last 3 radiohead albums.

wonder what the crowd will be like, seemed to be a lot of advertising popping up in the last week or so, so probably not selling too well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Free tickets galore been given out. Shocked if more than 3k at it tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,671 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

You've been saying this has seriously underperformed from the outset. I'm just wondering why - if that was apparent very quickly - they didn't make it fully seated (as the Glasgow show is), like they did with Duran Duran last year, or change it to the small standing configuration.

You remarked early on that not many standing tickets had sold. Was it a Catch-22 of having not sold well, but having sold too many to amend it to the small standing setup?

This would have been brilliant in the Bord Gáis (capacity: 2,111), which is available.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Fanirish

I guess the band requested a standing/seated mix. It will curtained off tonight upstairs and maybe curtains in the standing area.

bord Gais could very easily be used tech rehearsals for whatever show is there next.

should of put it in olympia or trinity in the summer

Post edited by Fanirish on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Listened to some of their songs on youtube. I won't be making it number 3001.

I really like Radiohead - they had mainly good albums and some magnificent tunes, with the odd bit of rubbish thrown in as well.

But any of the songs from The Smile that I have listened to are not really songs. No melody to them. Just a bit of noise, and Tom's familiar voice, trying to put some lyrics to the songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭R11

Going to Pixies tomorrow night in The Olympia....any recommendations for a good late ,post gig bar/venue with good music? (90's indie stuff)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

Going Sunday - make sure you get back with how the gig went. Could do worse then crossing the river to The Grand Social afterwards.

Next up - Greg Putiaco with support Trace Amount ( sound interesting) on Tuesday in Whelans

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭VM Varga

• Registered Users Posts: 4,671 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I really enjoyed The Smile, but my favourites were all the possibly "predictable" choices: You Will Never Work in Television Again, Friend of a Friend and Bending Hectic.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

foggy maybe? near enough or a 10m walk to Whelans.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

8,000 to 8,500 at the 3 arena tonight. I thought it was brutal. The sound is not great and very bored crowd would be my summary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭fluke

Brutal in what way? Curious as I was there and felt it was fairly mid.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭loadwire

Thought the smile were very good tonight. Different dynamic to r'head, dunno maybe it's because I have seen them 10 times or so but I enjoyed the change. Felt less event-y than a Radiohead gig, in a good way. Was cool seeing Jonny centre stage for example. Great set list,nice mix of the two albums. Maybe took a few songs to get into gear, but thought the whole second half of the gig was brilliant. One of the new songs they played was just gorgeous. Where we were stood the crowd were well into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Was a good concert, can't fault the performance or the band but the sound was not good and I was centre front of the arena standing.

Also some ***** talking out loud/shouting at each other.

Moved away. But could still hear them sometimes. I'd say they are still giving each other advice and wise words.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Nobody appeared to dance, everyone just stood there. Crowd didn't seem to get engaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭b318isp

I'd say it was a mid quality gig too, maybe a 6.5 out of 10. Muscianship was excellent though. Sound was really poor, and we were about 5m in front of the sound desk - very little top end, poor clarity on Yorke's voice, the sax and keyboards were varyingly too quiet or too loud. The late start may have been down to tech issues with a keyboard, repeated in the encore.

The crowd didn't really know the lyrics, and maybe a lot weren't overly familiar with the songs anyway - so didn't really get going until a few songs from the end. The band's interaction with the audience was weak too - and when Yorke spoke, the delay FX was still on the mic - poor from the sound tech, and also showed up how muffled his vocal was.

Overall, it should have been a seated gig - as the music is more something to listen to, and enjoy the skills of the musicians, but not to move to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Yeah, funny, much as I love them, I was sort of hitting Pixies saturation but listening to Trompe le Monde and Bossanova again has REALLY got the juices going again. I'd always reach for Doolittle or Surfer Rosa normally. Forgot how great some of the other stuff is. Buzzing for Dig for Fire, Subbacultcha, Alec Eifel, U Mass etc. Up the front with me Sunday night! As the lads have said, if it's a pint and some decent music, Foggy Dew is 2 mins away, Grand Social close too, Whelan's if it's a late one and some hip shaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭R11

I saw them in 2013 in The Olympia and it was amazing. Can't wait to hear Bossanova and Trompe le Monde live as they normally don't play much from either. Thanks for the recommendations, we'll pop around to the Foggy and then up to Whelan's.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Thought The Smile gig last night was good, without being great. As a few have pointed out the sound just wasn't really up to snuff, particularly at the start - it improved as it went on.

I couldn't really fault the band. The actual performances were good, particularly the fantastic drumming and I didn't mind how the songs were a bit looser and rougher than on the albums. And it is a pleasure to see the likes of Thom Yorke and Johnny Greenwood strut their stuff.

I thought there was a pretty decent amount at it. Standing had plenty in it and the seating that was open was pretty much full as far as I could see. It didn't feel like a gig with a poor turnout.

I don't think the crowd was madly into it all, but I think that's understandable enough because of the nature of the music. One thing I can and never will understand is people who can just not shut up for one single minute while at a gig.There was numerous people throughout who literally never stopped talking. At least, for your own sake, try to stop and listen to some of the music.

Yep, unreal, especially at a gig like that, that people just talk loudly and shout throughout. I wonder if you were about in the middle of the standing area. Few guys just loud mouthing the whole time. Ridiculous. No respect for people who'd paid good money and no respect for the band or the music. Stupid ignorant entitlement.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Idiots yapping at gigs definitely seems to have gotten worse since the pandemic, more and more I find myself near gobsh1tes who see live music as adequate background noise for a nice catch up, I'm beginning to ask myself what's the point of going.

There was one complete tool in the standing area, shouting full conversations over the music. Non-stop.

Just madness.

Had a quick exchange with him in between a song early in the set, just to see what the story was... he wasn't locked or anything just poor etiquette.

We moved away.. it was wrecking the gig. 70 euro to stand around chatting in a big room, what's the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I was in the standing area alright. It would drive you mad. There was one woman close by who just kept going and going and going, full on shouting when the music got louder, about all kinds of inane shyte - when is such and suchs wedding, plans for the weekend: absolute grade A drivel.

And she would not let up, just kept at it, apart from occasionally cheering whenever a song was finished or a new one began. I couldn't get it: she was obviously into it enough to respond from time to time, but never once properly bothered to be present and try to listen: which is all the whole point of being there.

I think gig etiquette has gone down the tubes, particularly at bigger events, since the pandemic.

I think people's patience has gone to hell.

It's too much for them to actually listen for 90 minutes to an amazing band.

They have to be taking and scrolling on their phones at the same time, while the band is killing it on stage.

I've been to a load of concerts this past 12 months haven been to none in years and they have all been superb, I've been really lucky. But for the life of me I can't understand last night.

I would have thought last night's concert would have had the most actual music fans at it. And not assholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I suspect part of the issue last night was that it hadn't sold well and there were a lot of freebies/competition prizes around. Guess that's more likely to attract a curious but not committed crowd, especially for the side project of a very well known band

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,342 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I

Well I didn’t talk or look at my phone all the way through the gig, just the exceedingly dull bits. 😉

While you can’t fault the musicianship, the tunes were sometimes lacking. Rock jazz is what came to mind.

The constant stream of people going back and forth with drinks was a bit of a pisser. We stood in front of one of the pillars to try and avoid them but still they managed to push their way through.

We also had access to the 3Lounge for the first time last night. How cool is that?

Thanks for tickets EN, good night out.

Advertisement