Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigs for 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,781 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What a night of pure heavy metal in the 3Arena last night

Next up is Blind Guardian in The Academy on the 10th April

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,318 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

As a consequence of a number of issues resulting in changes in the schedule last night was my first gig of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

Gallagher Squire was alright. Actual performance was decent (more or less as good as you’d expect of Liam Gallagher in 2024 with the material on the album), just way too short and not in a “time flew by” sort of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Saw Ian Ball and Ben Ottewell from Gomez tonight in a sold out Limelight in Belfast. Fantastic gig. The crowd were well up for it with plenty of singing going on. I wasn't sure what to expect with there only being two of them. The tunes were stripped back but still pretty full on. There was an odd bit in the middle when the support fella, 'Buddy', joined them for a couple of random tunes which changed the atmosphere a bit. I'm almost certain that, as Ian was leaving the stage, he said, "See you again in July." If they come back, I'll go again.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭mgkelly

Saw Gomez themselves a few years back - either ATN or EP. They were actually really good live, so was glad I went along. They sort of plummeted from view after winning the Mercury...a recuring theme?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Gomez played their first album in full at EP in '18.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Yard Act, Vicar St was good enough tonight. Definitely an improvement on their last time in there when i personally think they just weren't ready for a larger room. No such worries this time around, a very definite staging style and the addition of a couple of backing singers. About 90 minutes all in, most, if not all of the new album played and a few earlier tunes. I must admit though i got more enjoyment from the support act Gustaf. I missed them in the Workmans a couple of years ago so i was delighted when they were announced. Even better that they got 45 minutes to do their thang. Think of a slightly awkward Bodega. Would definitely go see them again. Yard Act i'm not so sure about at this stage. Festival appearance? Absolutely. Headline show? Hmmm. Although if i managed to pick up a ticket for €20, like i did tonight, that would be ok. The fickleness of the music fan eh?

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Just out of Enter Shikari, I love an old fashioned mosh pit! Epic gig, loved them as I always do. My only complaint was the sound mix was a bit muddy and the vocals got a bit lost, but that might have been my hearing going after Meryl Streek in support. He was intense, and i could feel the bass through my spine. Not quite sure what to make him, I was impressed but not sure I enjoyed it. But then I'm now on the bus back to my semi-d in Maynooth, I guess I'm not the target audience. Cherym were on first and were brilliant, full of energy and some great songs.

Post edited by Electric Nitwit on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Agree with most of this E.N.

I was upstairs in the balcony and his vocals were clear for the most part - It Hurts the one song that his voice was kind of coming in and out. Not a fan of the harsh vocals but very impressed by all the electronic elements. When he played the trumpet, was he recording it as a loop too? There was a pad over the keyboard and it sounded trumpet-y when he played it straight after.

I also liked Cherym.

Wasn't a fan of Meryl Streek but I don't like this old school punk in general- too much swearing and shouting. Was he slagging off politicians at some point?

A great night overall - and bought the Octopus t-shirt from their merchandise!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

I was across the river at havvk in the Workman's Cellar. I probably would've been on the C3 with Electric Nitwit but the gig was a little shorter than I'd expect for a band with three albums.

A good set with a small technical interruption after Julie stood on and broke her tuner. It didn't look sold out, maybe about 70-80 percent capacity. I thought the drums were a bit heavy and the vocals a touch light.

The support band were dose, a new band fronted by Bitch Falcon’s Lizzie. A few good songs from them but I think they did less than 30 minutes.

I picked up an album and t-shirt. The t-shirt feels like it's good quality. I probably should have got one in each colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,781 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Was anyone here at Aslans gig in Cork tonight ?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭T.V Eye

New JAMC record is fairly decent.

Looking forward to Monday night.

I'm off to Limelight on Tuesday night - looking forward to it. Yes, new album is not half bad. Agreed.

Limelight on Tuesday night for me too.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

On the way home from another well attended gig tonight. Between the 11 musicians, 4-8 "band crew", and 4-8 paying attendees there must have been slightly over 20 non-staff people there through the night. Not surprising given the gig was only announced on Thursday/Friday.

Presumably it makes sense for the venue because the staff were there anyway to prepare for the techno club night starting about now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Really enjoyed Underworld on Friday night. 2hrs40 in total. Fabulous.

First Class & Coach in the Spirit Store last night. Solid set, definite Sonic Youth influence but lighter and more melodic. The female singer's vocals are very reminiscent of Kim Gordon. Great persona and look i think she probably deserves a better band tbh. They're not bad but my mate and i both agreed they'd be greatly improved by a tad more oomph to their songs. Just that little bit extra to kick them up a notch. Some of their songs had that but not enough of them. Still, worth a look though if you get the chance as a few here would definitely enjoy them.

The support were local lads imBau. You will definitely be hearing more about this lot i think. A Shoegaze/Noise band that, given the current vogue for Irish guitar acts, should really be garnering attention pretty soon. By no means the finished article but plenty of potential. Can do MBV / Gilla Band noise as well softer Slowdive type stuff. Throw in a touch of Just Mustard too. Ones to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Granite Head

At JMAC this evening. Thought the gig was a bit flat and the sound muddy in parts. Unusually for a heritage type gig, around me a reasonable section left during the encore.

Post edited by Granite Head on

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Sprints, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine, Therapy, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Amble

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭dasdog

Sunn O))) in the NCH was nuts. Wonderfully dark and loud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

First gig of the year for me tonight, the Jesus and Mary Chain in the Olympia. Great show. Would love to see then again if they come back to town.

Did either of the JAMC goers catch the support act?

The Jesus & Mary Chain were solid if unspectacular tonight. I've seen them better and seen them worse. It was good but not great. Thought William's guitar was too low in the mix for a good chunk of it. Overall 7/10.

I enjoyed Aircooled as the support, lovely Kraut vibes. I would very much like to see them at a festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭T.V Eye

I've started to think the false starts are part of the act.

No idea what they were playing at for Darklands. One of my favourite songs ever and it was a bit of a shambles. But generally I enjoyed the gig.

Crowd was.. fairly chill and eager to beat the rush out. Monday I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Anyone heading to see Slash ??

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭fillup

Still trying to make up my mind if I enjoyed or endured it

Probably a bit of both

Quality of sound was immense, so loud with no distortion

The poor auld NCH didn't know what hit it

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Irishder

Going to Louis Dunford in the Academy in October, anyone seen him before or going?

Like his stuff real story telling.

https://www.louis-dunford.com/events/

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

Good gig. Enjoyed it. Sound bad at times ...but you could actually feel it in the bathrooms!! Great staff at the Olympia. I didnt know anything about getting the wrist bands to go up front but they let me up anyway.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,318 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Saturday was a Dreadlock Holiday in Swansea

...well I don't like cricket, I love it

• Advertisement

Sunday in London

The Punk and the Modfather

Mr Jones

Young Mr Townsend

Messrs Hansard and Vedder

Mr Plant Saying Grace

And back to the main man

Advertisement