Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong policing on the streets of Dublin tonight (24/11) - **Read OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭chrisd2019

Same style reactionary units in Prague centre, quickly on the scene if any stag party ect gets out of hand, and the dogs they have do bite for real!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Absolutely.

After last night's events the in your face presence is understandable but it doesn't need to be like that all the time.

In other cities the back up is held in reserve, often waiting down a side street.

The minute something kicks off they are there ready for action.

There is no negative side effect because you only see them when they are needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Why do we treat our most important workers to society so awfully?

Guards and nurses. We depend on them so much and need to do better for them. The judiciary especially in Dublin seems to hold a lot of contempt for the Guards for reasons we all know: legal aid gravy train. Why are the Govt not tackling that **** show.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,318 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Posts deleted

Do not discuss the people who were arrested last night as that will result in the closure of this thread

Any questions PM me - do not reply to this post in thread

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Simple, there is a significant lack of space in our prisons, hence the judiciary have nowhere to send convicted criminals.

There was some resistance and general lack of interest when Thornton Hall site was under consideration for a prison and there has been little infrastructure in prison development since. Problem is getting worse with the recent increase in population.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

They were deployed eventually.

I still don't understand why the powers that be let it happen.

The media and some politicians are saying it's a soft, appeasement approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I used to work close to Mayor Square for a large financial company. Down that area there are multiple American Multi-Nationals. One of them is holding in escrow the 13 Billion that Apple may or may not owe us. The shear amount of money that passes through that area of the city is eye watering, and yet, particularly around the summer time, it is scrote central and never, ever a guard in sight. The mongolian woman who was stabbed in the neck was a cleaner in my building.

I came out of my office one day and almost got ran over by a young fella riding a bicycle at speed, wearing a wet suit, cycling along by the wall. He rode the bike into the canal while his friends took pictures. He didn't retrieve the bike so I assume it wasn't his. 0.001% of the tax take from these companies could easily equip a few well paid gardai to patrol that area 24 hours a day. So, I dont know why the government have failed to act.

This was before Covid. I have no difficulties believing the area has since gotten worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Facthunt

They’ll be a lot of Childers going around with odd shoes for Christmas! I’m sure Foot Locker and the likes only keep 1 shoe on display with the others locked in the back rooms!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I attend League of Ireland games and UEFA regularly swop around officials. Arrange some flights and accommodation for Irish officials to go to Malta or Luxembourg or somewhere for a week and invite their officials over for a week. All in the name of training, is good to see

Any chance we can get some Guardia Civil and their baton happy tactics from Spain for a week? Some weary gardai may like a week in Spain

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

One reason Gardai are slow to use their batons is GSOC, a Garda pal of mine reckons the last time they had free reign to use them was at the Lansdowne Rd riot in 1995, nowadays every thing they do is recorded on phones and they have to watch every move they make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Think of the criminal justice system as a three legged stool.

You need a strong well resourced police force to apprehend offenders and bring them before the courts.

The accused must be given a fair trial and if found guilty receive the appropriate sentence.

The prison service has to be capable of securely accomodating inmates and offering rehabilitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

If true, the Minister of Justice could change that with a stoke of a pen.

So, again, why the inaction?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

€2 million per km motorways that still haven't reach capacity are far more important than the safety of Dublin city folk!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The amount of vermin in this city is something else... needs to be much larger police presence in Dublin 1 going forward...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Ah here, you always say Dublin is grand, not a bother. Cultural Mecca etc etc.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Guilty as charged!!!! But you're 100% right about the capital being the cultural epicentre of the country (as well as the economic driver). It's great that you recognise this and I love your adopted Dublinese "ah here" and how it's catching. I see from your post history you're very interested in your capital and frequently talk about Dublin.

If you read back on my posts you'll see that I've advocated & supported more of Dublin money to be spent in Dublin as well as Galway and Cork. I've posted here about the need for a metro police force and a transport police. I'm sure you agree with my sentiments.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭highpressisbest

Is it not pest control that is required for vermin?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭highpressisbest

And the fear of prosecution for just doing their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

A few good beatings would put the fear back in the knacker elements trolling Dublin. The bleeding hearts have taken the teeth from the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

I was just about to post something very similar. This post exactly!!

A few Gendarmerie would not be long knocking some sense into these little "@#%£@" Or let the Garda resolve it without fear of being persecuted on twitter.

Does anyone remener the Garda at the 1995 England/ireland football.

Bring that fella back & a few of his friends

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭hamburgham

They’re not leaving in droves. Total exaggeration. Previously no one ever left which was not normal and said a lot about the nature of the job. The numbers leaving now are still very low but this is normal. What career has a 100% retention? It’s not as though an individual has made a huge investment to become a Garda. What is it, two years and no fees? People spend years and huge sums training to be doctors, dentists, solicitors etc and often discover it’s not for them. Why the big deal about a few Gardaí leaving when it’s perfectly normal in every other field?

The Gardai were also literally a law onto themselves. I understand Harris is a disciplinarian and that isn’t going down too well. I’m guessing some of those leaving pretty much had no choice.

Because Sinn Fein would be up in arms with their supporters being hit with batons

• Registered Users Posts: 32,995 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

But they can't be SF supporters, cos they are lefties, not far righties.

Prolific burglers drove the wrong way down on a motorway, hit a lorry and died a fiery death.

A little while later GSOC get involved.

Little wonder a garda would wonder why bother putting in the extra effort or going above and beyond. Either quit or serve your time doing the absolute minimum to retire with a pension sound easier.

The London Met allow "tactical collisions" which is ramming your squad car into a moped/scooter thief on city streets. Knock them off and grab them. Oh I wish we had this in Ireland but we do not. And never will as our Minister of Justice concentrates on hate speech

• Registered Users Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I seem to remember there being some issues around work rotas recently that pissed off quite a few Gardaí.

Lol. Left right left right, who knows with the thugs and their party of choice.

I do agree with letting the Garda off their leash though - 24 hours Purge style.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

A little while later GSOC get involved.

GSOC are obliged by law to get involved when an incident occurs during a garda pursuit (and not for no reason!)

Nice touch with the sexist sh1te there!. How can someone do their job properly when they have to also do some basic mammalian tasks? Obviously, I'm sure you'd never take a piss or a dump when at work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

White guy with a knife attacks a black security guard in Aldi in Ashtown. Happened this evening.

Indeed and GSOC can interview everyone (well 3 scumbags are dead) and close the file in a week.

Instead people are facing multiple interviews and the threat of suspension for what? They do not even have a union to protect them. Little wonder rank and file believe management will save themselves first and throw others under the bus. Ah is the way of middle management no matter if you work for the State or a multi-national

3 prolific burglars dead on a motorway is a win. Not so much about the fiery death, nobody deserves that. Call me a bleeding heart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

GSOC need to have their powers paired back then which the Minister can implement.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement