Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong policing on the streets of Dublin tonight (24/11) - **Read OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Agreed - call in the exterminators to take care of the vermin.

Can't remember where I seen this but someone suggested an exchange program. We send 500 Garda to lake garda and in return they send 500 Carabinieri to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,861 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Just saw on tik tok, two bike Gardai being set upon. They retreated into a pub or nightclub… but one while trying to keep the mob at bay pushes at one scumbag with his bicycle which is taken off him and robbed, Garda gets a smack in the head too… literally holding up the Gardai and taking their bikes..

I’m no expert on law enforcement but is it a bit odd, with everything going on that just two Gardai would be patrolling on bicycles ? The bike could and would be used as a weapon…… and was more of a hinderance to the Garda, luckily they had a door that they could retreat into…. Mad…

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

To be fair Dublin was a peaceful place at 3pm yesterday, it all started kicking off around 6 and was well contained before midnight. Those gardai were caught on the hop when faced with an angry mob. I thought the gardai as a whole responded well enough to an unusual and entirely unpredictable event and shut it down relatively quickly. We do need more guards but this is essentially a once in a generation flash point

People would equally be pissed off if we were paying loads of rapid response guards to stand around waiting for something to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Seen that clip.

Need to make assault on our guards a minimum term offence.

Would make people think twice about swinging a punch at them, if they were to be guaranteed to do 12months behind bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭GSBellew

I find this both amusing and frustrating.

People are complaining that the Gardai were too soft and not ready for a riot yesterday.

Yet I know in my heart that if they went in heavy handed ready for the riots and contained it and rightly went hard on the thugs, we would now have had a day of hearing bleeding heart stories about the poor wee critters that were only standing up for the child that was stabbed, for christ sake we are getting these anyway with people excusing the rioters because government blah blah blah.

I would love to see a no questions hard response to riots and looting, but people need to be behind that approach and not be on the side of the rioters which seems to be the default in this country sadly.

• Advertisement

Thing is looting isn’t helping injured kids, neither is damaging property.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Once people start attacking police, burning their vehicles, and looting shops, there is only one response that is needed.

Go in, and go in hard and heavy. Forget about worrying about offending people. That's what happens in every other major city.

You can't let scum run amok.

Yes, if they are capable of attacking police and their vehicles, it will be citizens next.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,542 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The absolute gall of of Mary Lou McDonald to day regarding the Gardai.

She should remind us of Sinn Féin's traditional relationship with the Gardai starting with some of her TDs.

Yes SFs relationship with law and order hasn’t changed…

she’s basically trying to encourage and embolden their younger fanbase…

• Advertisement

I honestly never thought I would say it, but there is a lot to be said for the rubber bullet or threat of live rounds.

I do not want to see anyone get hurt, but these scrotes seem to need the stick rather than the carrot to keep them in line.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭scottser

I might be open to correction here, but didn't we buy a water cannon tender from the psni after the May day riots? Its been sat there for donkeys. Isn't one of the capabilities of that particular piece of equipment that you add an indelible dye to the water, soak the **** out of the rioters and pick any scrote up the next day with blue hair and skin? Even sending them home pissed wet would have softened their cough, no need for cracking heads. We have the equipment, why wasn't it deployed?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,518 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭harmless

I probably sound like I've been living under a rock but what happened to the suspect in the stabbing case. I see reports from the examiner saying he was detained(not arrested) at the scene but was he eventually arrested and charged. If he has can they suppress info temperately in order to calm tensions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭mikethecop

that water cannon was borrowed from the psni and went back afterwards

this is not true , every garda i saw north of the canal last night drew baton , and a blanket order to do so was given by a senior officer to the public order members

obviously a smaller percentage got a chance to use it

this folks is the il informed ass backwards attitude that contributed in a very real way to the behavior last night

ags is one of the most heavily regulated organisations in the world GSOC policing authority JPCs multiple layers of supervision and oppressive and outdated management practices

drew isnt liked because he has shown himself to be incompetent and was always unsuitable for the post . the psni's relationship is a hell of a lot different to the Gardai's and he cant get his head around that .

policing isnt like every other field though is it ?

Up past 150 left this year alone ,, not including retirements of course, enormous percentage increase, they are going because there are many many easier ways to make much more money and have a decent pension , neither possible in AGS at current levels for new members, and funny enough a 9 to 5 job with a 50 percent pay increase and no possibility of getting prosecuted for dong your job effectively appeals to some people , i know several who have gone into the provate sector and are very happy as well as 3 of the estimated 50 going to the police force in OZ

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭gotaf

Is there protests planned for dublin today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭prunudo

I'd be grabbing a bag of logs off that pallet and skulling that little prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Fantastic to see some of the little cunce getting a hefty wallop of a baton. We need a zero tolerance approach to anti social behaviour and of these parasites get a couple of clips that will do infinitely more good than any community service.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Also, our Gardai need protection from the courts to do their job without fear of being hauled before GSOC. The rats have been allowed to take over and they need to be stamped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RobbieV

Some lad went into Lidl or Aldi in Ashtown and started swinging the knife at security. No Gardai to arrive as they were all "running" around after individuals last night in the city centre.

15 tackle one woman.

Even when they try it's just seems like they aren't doing it properly.

Also a woman in her 60s was stabbed in a random attack on Clapham st recently. No name released. Must be going through the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

Supposed to go into town for a friend’s birthday later but just seeing another protest is planned. Hopefully the guards keep everything under control.

https://www.sundayworld.com/news/irish-news/gardai-prepared-for-more-trouble-today-as-far-right-protest-planned-for-dublin/a237258.html

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭davepatr07

When it comes down to it there is no control or proper management of policing. Harris and McEntee have to go... I see some FF ministers are putting the pressure on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Very disappointing but not surprising to see 32 of the 34 arrested Thursday night get bail yesterday …. All doing high fives and having a laugh as they left the court ….Is it any wonder Dublin City centre is so lawless?

so much for a tough response

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Yep yesterday was the day to send a message in the courts and we utterly failed so do so. It makes Helen McEntee look weaker again after he statements on TV the night before.

Fair play to the Guards yesterday taking no ****. Long needed to see scenes like that O'Connell Street. The place is a **** tip with fights every day. Great to see a few folks get wellied.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

GSOC have to get involved.

That car could also have rammed into a family car.

The Gardai need oversight no matter what you think. All police forces do. They were a law unto themselves in the very recent past. Hugely corrupt at all levels and very inefficient. Faking 1.5 million breath tests takes a lot of man hours.

The rota change was to revert to pre Covid practices and made sense.

The Gardai are not going to fix the underlying problems seen this week. There is a much bigger picture. We've had decades of shoddy self serving governments with no vision or initiative. The legal eagles will not let anyone reform the lucrative but bureaucratic legal system.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement