Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong policing on the streets of Dublin tonight (24/11) - **Read OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭billyhead

All the clowns at this riot were holding up mobile phones hoping for a Garda reaction. The scum could stick a claim against the state for injuries after.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Meet_Yur_Maker

The usual over the top costly response… are you havin a laugh? What nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 28,869 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

All the clowns at this riot were holding up mobile phones hoping for a Garda reaction. The scum could are almost guaranteed to stick a claim against the state for injuries after.

Fixed that for you.

Or straight to GSOC the next morning. Or probably both.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,082 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Fianna Fail backbench TDs and senators have no confidence in Helen McEntee according to the Independent.

She's a massive liability to this country at the moment and should be sacked immediately and replaced with a competent minister.

Fine Gael - the party of law and order.

Under Leo and McEntee that's gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It was gone long ago, starting with Enda. When they allowed senior Gardai and commissioners to smear Maurice McCabe who tried to expose the rot, corruption and laziness in the force, we knew that the Gardai had reached new levels of ineptness.

After the Shatter debacle, senior TDs were too clever to take a potentially sticky ministry so they gave it to a newbie. Disastrous. Shatter himself as minister for Justice refused to give a breath test in Dublin once after he has been drinking in the Dail. That's the level.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

One comment from a Fianna Fail TD is that "she keeps referring to her notes in interviews".

I've always thought she just memorizes her answers as if she's sitting her leaving cert. How on earth did she get so promoted in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Northernlily

She shouldn't have to refer to any notes.

She's minister for justice who should have various reporting streams established with her subordinates and colleagues providing critical information to her and her advisors which she can make decisions on or provide guidance.

She should have all the information. She should be on top of her brief. And even moreso in these times with increased reporting cadences.

McEntee is very of the Varadkar mould. There is a lot of bluster with no substance. Likes the symbolism of the office without actually doing the work required for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Quitelife

It’s gone on for a long time - Alan Shatter of Fine Gael in 2013 that oversaw the closure and downgrading of so many Garda Stations all over the country was the biggest contributor to the lawlessness all over the country we presently have .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,409 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I stand corrected.

Sorry for any offence.

Judging by your username you were on duty on the night and you are giving first hand information.

Like most posters I was going by what I saw online.

I was particularly upset to see members of AGS being isolated by the rioters with no back up from colleagues.

That did not happen to The Public Order Unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Are there protests again in town today does anyone know?

Saw something about another far right protest, but no details on times and location.

Will stick local for the shopping and not bother with town if there are more protests today.

Reports online about another protest today. It is freezing cold. Let's hope the scumbags stay away.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Lofidelity

I was watching the TV coverage on Thursday night and there was genuine shock on the faces of the politicians including McEntee and SF TD Matt Carthy. They could not believe what was happening. It just shows how out of touch they are from the real world. While the fact it escalated quickly was a surprise, most of the public know the potential is there and the streets of Dublin 1 are patrolled by aggressive youths and petty criminals. They never go anywhere in public without an entourage so they dont get the same feeling as ordinary people. They spend far more more time worrying about Palestine than Parnell St.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Baba Yaga

we need this every day/night,the tracksuited fcukwits have taken over and its long past time to stop the rot,we need zero tolerence policing all the time

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭lmao10

Good to see a quick no-tolerance policy. There couldn't be any other way after the embarrassment of the previous night.

No shock on Carthy face as he was trying to tell everyone the Sinn Fein stronghold of Dublin North Inner city had nothing to do with the riots.

Mary Lou was on the site of the attack, did she bother to head over to constitutes and tell them to stay in that night? nope

Oh they will be out, nothing else to do on the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭scottser

I see they've got a lend of another couple of water cannon again. Hopefully they both get deployed the next time they block a major roadway at rush hour

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

My mother used to say that the queen must think the entire world smells of fresh paint, because when she goes anywhere, the place has just been freshly painted. Its the same forMcEntee. Of course she sees no criminal threats on O'Connell Street, Talbot treet or Parnell Street, because when she takes a wander around those areas she's accompanied by an entourage of Gardai and Special Branch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭holliehobbie

Unfortunately they do attach citizens and tourists already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

And regularly. There have been complaints and comments in the media going back months. A spate of stabbings. It's a pity it took a full on riot for Helen McEntee and Drew Harris to wake up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Agree with all of this except the issue about the car chase. I don’t think those Gardaí should be under investigation. Decisions can be split second. Maybe the road was quiet when it happened, I don’t know. The intent anyway was to catch a criminal and I think they should be able to do this without having to worry about being disciplined within reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,915 ✭✭✭circadian

Not really tackling the problem and just moving it somewhere else. There are reasons why areas like this suffer from depravation and high crime rates, that needs to be tackled.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I was watching the TV coverage on Thursday night and there was genuine shock on the faces of the politicians including McEntee and SF TD Matt Carthy.

I think the shocked look would be more to do with the realization that she can't get out of this one, with her 'the streets in Dublin are safe' comment last summer when that area was under the spotlight. She had nowhere to turn except far right far right far right and hope the public would buy it.

Imo this whole event particularly including the knifing that kicked the riots off is a direct result of the state of that area. It wouldn't have happened anywhere else. If you saw a ugly waster smelly type hanging around loitering you might feel uneasy and suspicious, maybe even raise the alarm, but you wouldn't there. Because that's exactly the place where you'd expect to see those types and you'd think if none else is gonna do anything about it then why should you. You'd feel like you'd be wasting your time reporting him, and you probably would.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Emmet Kirwan will hate you. The guy who said "“It wasn’t blokes in tracksuits that ruined the country, it was blokes in suits.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

One of the depressing things about the last couple of days is the sight of so many lefties making excuses for the rioters and condemning people as "classist" for criticising them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Dispersion would help though.

The concentration of social housing, drug treatment centres, hostels etc is too high in that area and things will never change as long as that is the case.

The govt talk alot about mixed housing. Some social, some affordable, some privately rented, some privately owned.

If they implemented mixed developments in D1, that would be a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Yep - Garda stations are not bank branches - very few people have a need to visit their local branch these days due to technological advances- you can’t apply the same logic to Garda stations- it was one of the most idiotic decisions ever made and done under the guise of “progress” - they stated at the time that computer modelling was the way to go - complete imbeciles who dreamed up that piece of sh1t - we need a physical Garda presence on our streets every day and every where, more so than any other time in the history of the state- and the Garda commissioner can stick his models too -he’s made a complete and utter shambles of his position and has set back Garda morale decades - he should resign except he won’t because he has no shame and doesn’t acknowledge his mistakes in any way .

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement